Things that weren't included in the Harry Potter movies you were annoyed about

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
I've started re-watching alot of Harry Potter clips on YouTube and while I still find it all interesting and exciting, there's still alot of things that I'm gutted weren't included in the movies.

Fred Weasley's death - Surely it would only have took an extra 30 seconds to include his death scene? It was one of the saddest moments in the book and even ended a chapter and yet it was ignored in the movie besides a quick glance at his body in the Great Hall.

No Voldemort at Godric's Hollow - I was looking forward to seeing the Muggle Harry and Hermione jumping on the drawers and out the broken window as Voldemort runs through the hall after them and was annoyed they didn't include their Muggle disguises or Voldemort at all. It was a haunting scene in the book and didn't have the same effect in the movie without Voldemort. :(

Department of Ministry battle in Movie #5 - in the book it took up an entire chapter and featured Ginny breaking her ankle, Hermione being completely knocked out, Ron being strangled by brains and Luna/Neville being injured yet in the movie it was just a bunch of flashing white lights as the six ran down a corridor. :(

Also nothing about Kreachers story, Wormtail dying, the Dursley's saying goodbye to Harry, the Weasley's arriving at the Dursley's, the OWL exams etc :(

Also Voldemort vs Harry's battle being in the courtyard instead of the Great Hall was a let down. :( Oh, and the fact we never saw Voldemort vs McGonogal, Kingsley and Flitwick and Bellatrix vs Ginny, Luna and Hermione.

Comments

• 5thinbetweener5thinbetweener Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flashbacks in Half-Blood Prince of the Gaunt Family (Voldemorts maternal fam.) and of Hepzibah Smith etc. In fact HBP is probably the worst film in terms of following the book...no encounter between the muggle PM and Minister of Magic either...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flashbacks in Half-Blood Prince of the Gaunt Family (Voldemorts maternal fam.) and of Hepzibah Smith etc. In fact HBP is probably the worst film in terms of following the book...no encounter between the muggle PM and Minister of Magic either...

They also missed out Tonks being depressed and finding Harry on the Hogwarts Express, too. Tonks was featured alot in the books yet in the movies I don't think anyone even knew who she was. She had about five lines altogether.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire Prisoner of Azkaban movie made me want to cry of disappointment. There were so many small things that didn't make the cut that frustrated me.

Ok, so you can say "It's not necessary to the main plot" - fine but when reading the book, you get really soaked in with the sporting nature of Quidditch. Even if you don't like sports, that banter, the beef, the grudges in the hallways just added extra feel. Harry checking out the Firebolt in Diagon Alley.

Just small things that would have made the movie around half an hour longer would have made it one of the best (it was 2hr 15mins, so 2hr 45mins would have been on par with the longest HP movie). Oh no, I've just remembered my severe disappointment from HP5...gimme a sec!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Cutting out the Bellatrix vs Hermione/Ginny/Luna fight from the Deathly Hallows part 2 was dumb.

Tonks barely featuring was also a disappointment.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were to make a list of what should have been included and wasn't, I'd probably be here all day. There were a lot of very dubious screenwriting choices in every single one of the movies, and it's inexplicable why they left certain things out, like all the flashbacks in HBP, the Dursleys' goodbye to Harry and Voldemort at Godric's Hollow.

Other things like Fred Weasley's death and Tonks' pining for Lupin are annoying omissions for fans, but not so central to the main plot, so slightly more understandable. Keeping them in would certainly have made the movies better though, given the amount of extra rubbish that was often added in instead.

And leaving Peeves out was a mistake from the very start as well.

DanMan01 wrote: »
    The entire Prisoner of Azkaban movie made me want to cry of disappointment. There were so many small things that didn't make the cut that frustrated me.

For me it's not even just what was cut, it's the fact that so much of that movie was wasted on that stupid, annoying shrunken head that isn't in the book! Neither funny nor necessary. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did they miss out the trip to St Mungos in the fifth book? That would have been amazing!!

And as said above, why on earth did they not have the Harry and Voldemort battle in the hall?

I don't think Ginny was well cast or developed enough for you to understand why Harry fell for her to be honest, it was clear in the books but not in the films. Plus we didnt see his inner torment at having feelings for his best friends sister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The Battle of The Astronomy Tower
    The St. Mungos visit in Book 5.
    Lupin turning up during DH. His whole relationship with Tonks was horribly undermined in the films.
    Mereope and her family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I

For me it's not even just what was cut, it's the fact that so much of that movie was wasted on that stupid, annoying shrunken head that isn't in the book! Neither funny nor necessary. :mad:

Oh God, yes, I know. I didn't find it amusing at all. Also the scene where Harry gets attacked by Hagrids book in the Leaky Cauldron wasn't needed either. Fair enough it was only a few minutes long but it could have been used for anything else. I felt the entire scene in the Shrieking Shack was rushed. Harry, Ron and Hermione are with Sirius for about 30 seconds then Lupin arrives then Snape arrives and the next thing you know they're already on their way out. :mad:
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Weasleys getting stuck in The Dursleys' sealed-off fireplace in GoF. I laughed tears when I read that for the first time. :o
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say
    - The scene in Mungo's (OotP) with Lockhart, a character I could always see/read more about.
    - Wormtail's death, very strange choice to miss it out of the films
    - Harry taking to Nearly Headless Nick after Sirius dies, asking if he'll come back as a ghost. Such a sad but great scene in the book, would have loved to see that played on screen.

Other than that, I've accepted that the films had to miss details out. I'm much more a book fan when it comes to HP, but after 2 visits to the Harry potter Studio Tour, you really appriciate just how much work went into the films, all the details is incredible - So it's easy to forgive the missing parts.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumbledore arriving at the Dursley's in HBP. Disappointing that they moved it to the train station :(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hermione naked :(
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peeves the poltergeist.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    Peeves the poltergeist.

This - Apparently Rik Mayall filmed scenes at Peeves in PS but it was cut so he was never included

Others -

The trip to St Mungos - would loved to have seen Lockhart again.

In the later books I really enjoyed the details and back story about Riddle, him growing up and his life at Hogwarts etc but a lot was missed out. I also felt they missed a huge chuck about the horcrux which was important but as somebody who has read the books I already know these things its just a shame it wasn't included
  • David_SteeleDavid_Steele Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Don't worry guys, I'm sure they can add in all these things when they do a reboot of the franchise ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    This - Apparently Rik Mayall filmed scenes at Peeves in PS but it was cut so he was never included

That would have been hilarious!!
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming to this late, but apparently the reason the St Mungo scenes were cut from OotP was because they couldn't, or didn't want to, stretch to building another different set.

There are loads of bits that in an ideal world should have been included, but I think the biggest single mis-step was, as others have said, not having the final Harry v Voldemort battle in the Great Hall and not having a mortal Voldemort be seen to die. I think it was really important that it took place in front of everyone in the book, that there was no secrecy, no ambiguity, and that he was seen to have died, not merely evaporated. Since everyone knows Voldemort managed to survive (of sorts) a rebounding Avada Kedavra curse by 'disappearing' seventeen years previously, how do they know the same won't happen again? Not having a mortal body, diminished and stripped of everything that made him the most feared wizard ever was a mistake IMO.

The whole scene in the book with Harry calling Voldemort "Riddle", giving him a chance of salvation through remorse and then the "I am the master of the Elder Wand" speech is all about the end of Harry's journey as much as it is Voldemort's, the moment he comes fully into his power. It could be argued that it was the whole reason for the entire series and the film cheats us out of that crucial moment.

It is also possible I have been overthinking this :D
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Native 3D filming in the last part rather than be cheap skates in what is a multi billion franchise was inexcusable.

PJ
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably in a minority as I watched the films and then read the books.

Personally, I cannot fault the movies(with the exception of GOF). I think that were right to leave out the elements that they did. I do however think that it would have made a nice scene to see Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny playing 2 aside quiditch in the orchard at the burrow. Just a distance shot at dusk with some pretty music.

If anything I think that they added more than they took away.

Slughorn's story about Lilly and the fish bowl.
    Snape saying that Harry had his mother's eyes.
    Harry saying "Together" to his son in 19 years later.

And I always thought that "You're a wizard Harry" was better than "Harry, you're a wizard".

I don't mean to take anything away from JKR. She's an absolute genius and created a wonderful world. However I feel the film makers made improvements by creating a dividing line between civilisation and the magical world, e.g the Dursleys not meeting Dumbledore, the Weasleys, Sirius, Lupin, etc and cutting out all the Prime Minister business.

There is however a continuity issue in that there is no explanation whatsoever in the movie as to where Harry got the piece of mirror.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umbridge's attempted arrest of Hagrid in Order of the Phoenix, with McGonagall being seriously injured defending him. This was something I seriously couldn't wait to see on screen. :(

Dobby being removed from the series until Hallows. I really wanted to see the House-elf filled kitchens at Hogwarts as well.

The many cut pensieve scenes form Half-Blood Prince.

The Battle of the Astronomy Tower.

Kreacher's story and character development (and his knife wielding antics at the B.O.H).

Post-Chambers Colin Creevey and his death. I think the franchise was actually rather poor when it came to emotional beats. Cedric's death was spot on but Dumbledore's was very disappointing, and Tonks, Lupin, Sirius and Fred's were piss poor.

I was also disappointed at the total disappearance of Madame Hooch after Philosopher's Stone, and that we never got to see Peeves or Professor Binns at any point in the franchise. Oh and the non appearance of the riddle Sphinx in Goblet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd have like to have seen peeves
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them (too many to mention). :D

I've never been such a purist in all my life as I have with the Harry Potter films.

But as others have already said, I would have loved to have seen the backstory of Voldermort's family. I felt so sorry for his mother in the book, too.

Saint Mungo's. Not only for Lockhart's story but also for Neville and his family.

Severus Snape - too many to mention.

The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore's funeral. Harry returning the Elder Wand to Dumbledore's tomb. I actually tutted out loud in the cinema when I saw the film version :eek: :o.

Harry and Voldemort's final battle in the Great Hall; and especially Harry's speech, which I thought was his best discourse out of all of the books. What a mess the film made of all that IMHO.

Kreacher's transformation after his 'Tale'. I was so taken with his ear hair as "clean and fluffy as cotton wool"; him making the kitchen at Grimmauld Place all spick and span and gleaming. And his fussing making lovely food for the trio, whistling between his teeth with his fake locket dangling round his neck as he did so. :D And him telling Harry that he'd have a steak-and-kidney pie waiting for them after they returned from the Ministry of Magic... awww!
    They certainly got the look and mannerism of Kreacher wrong in the films (not their fault of course as they had already filmed OotP before the Deathly Hallows book was released IIRC).

And many more...

Oh, Harry and Cho's courtship, especially their date in Hogsmeade. I didn't like that she took the blame in OotP either.

I'll stop now. :D
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was a shame they missed out a lot of the magical world and should have shown more of the school lessons, diagon alley and the burrow in films 3-7 - I think this is why I like the first 2 films best - especially in their extended editions as they were closest to the books with the least cut out.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HP and the HBP was my biggest disappointment when watching the films because I loved the book so much.

I would have liked to have seen:

* Harry running to hide the book of potions by himself... he didn't seem panicked enough in the film for what he had just done to Malfoy and no teachers seemed to question him!

* Gaunt family history pensieve moments

*The battle through the castle (the excuse for not including this was poor)

In general:

*Lupin and Tonks relationship

* Percy Weasley apologise and come back to the family before Fred dies

* The gang going through the Magical Department of Mysteries. So many things happened in those chapters and not one thing was shown on screen

* Wormtails death I think this and the dialogue leading up to this is brilliant. One of the significant events in DH in my opinion

I know there's too much to include, but I would happily watch a 3/4 hour film which included every moment from the books:D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, one of my teachers in high school swore up and down he wouldn't be surprised if scenes (probably only lasting a few minutes in each film) were filmed but were deliberately left out when Warner Bros. re releases them in lets say 10 -20 years it will kind of be like when Lucas re released the first Star Wars trilogy and added little scenes here and there.