HDTV - Headphone Socket Help

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Just wanted to check – I’m getting a new TV tomorrow, and one review on amazon US for the tv claims that they couldn’t control the volume of the tv when they plugged headphones/speakers into the headphone socket on the tv?

Surely this can’t be right?! If you plug headphones into the tv, then when you turn the volume up or down on the TV it should effect the sound output to the headphones right?

Thanks

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Make and model of TV?
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Make and model of TV?

Samsung EU37EH5000
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    With my Samsung TV the volume control alters the TV speaker volume but that is muted when the headphones are plugged in and the volume control alters the headphone output volume.

As I use an AV amp and wireless headphones each with their own volume controls I leave the TV speaker volume at zero and the headphone output socket volume at 80%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    With my Samsung TV the volume control alters the TV speaker volume but that is muted when the headphones are plugged in and the volume control alters the headphone output volume.

As I use an AV amp and wireless headphones each with their own volume controls I leave the TV speaker volume at zero and the headphone output socket volume at 80%.

Yeah that's how it is with my current TV. Not sure why one of the reviewers has said that.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    The US Model of this TV is UN37EH5000 and there are 447 reviews on Amazon.com. The UK Model is UE37EH5000 and this model does have audio out via the headphone socket as listed on this Richer Sound spec: http://www.richersounds.com/printproduct/SAMS-UE37EH5000.

You could always call or email Richer Sound or any other retailer to check.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I've gone past the time to edit my post but you can download the user manual from Samsung's site here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE37EH5000KXXU-downloads?downloadName=UM

In the user manual page 53 it says that when Speaker Select is set to External Speaker the volume and MUTE buttons will not operate. I'm guessing that this is what the Amazon.com reviewer did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I've gone past the time to edit my post but you can download the user manual from Samsung's site here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE37EH5000KXXU-downloads?downloadName=UM

In the user manual page 53 it says that when Speaker Select is set to External Speaker the volume and MUTE buttons will not operate. I'm guessing that this is what the Amazon.com reviewer did.

Ah I see, but I wouldn't need to set it to external speaker if I just have a pair of speakers connected via the headphone jack would I.