Windows 8 - is it any better than 7

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't make any sense for W7 users to upgrade, XP users yes, but W7 users do not get anything out of it.

W8 pro vs. W7 home, there's a difference in features, e.g., you will be able to add the machine to a domain, use bitlocker, etc. So yes, users get something out of it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Agreed, and so far they only have small screens and IMHO very high prices for such restricted usability.

Ok i suppose if you want to do everything online and with Google stuff, but some google services are not that great, the online office suit is pretty naff.

Better to go for a Linux distro at least people have a bit of choice with that and it is proper OS.

Anyway as sad as it is, people know the Microsoft name and they know windows, i doubt many people will buy a chrome book or a machine with Linux on it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That would be suicidal. Not even Microsoft are that arrogant and stupid. If they did, I would ditch not only Windows 8 but also any future Microsoft upgrades.
    But MS is arrogant and stupid, ok Arrogant anyway, they know they got the market and people will go for it. when you got computer manufactures towing the line, because Ms got the monopoly.

However... the fact that they *could* disable them (because the utilities are unsupported) is one of the main arguments I have made against them.
    I suppose it depends how these start menus work. there have to be some backwards compatibility for software to install. so I presume there is a start menu folder in Windows 8, i never looked before i installed Startisback, otherwise software installers may complain if they can't find the folder.

We will wait and see, but I know one thing if MS did do that , I would change back to windows 7
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is business, there's no place for hurt feelings and vindictiveness. They need to keep backwards compatibility, they won't break it to punish anybody. There is a start menu folder, you can create a toolbar using that folder and had a 'start menu' of sorts even without all these 3rd party start menu programmes.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends how these start menus work. there have to be some backwards compatibility for software to install. so I presume there is a start menu folder in Windows 8, i never looked before i installed Startisback, otherwise software installers may complain if they can't find the folder.

We will wait and see, but I know one thing if MS did do that , I would change back to windows 7

The start menu folders are at C:\ProgramData\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

It's what the Metro Start Screen uses, and it's what the third party start menus use.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Correction that should read C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have read, you don't have to install a third party start button.

You can just right click the bottom left of the taskbar (where the start button used to be) and you will get a built in basic start menu.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have read, you don't have to install a third party start button.

You can just right click the bottom left of the taskbar (where the start button used to be) and you will get a built in basic start menu.
    That has some useful options but AFAIK not the start menu.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hated OS? My 12 year old son got his W8 laptop yesterday - with StartisBack installed - and likes the option to pop the Metro interface up when needed. I have found W8 runs very nicely on the older hardware of his machine and is much better than XP or Vista.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Hated OS? My 12 year old son got his W8 laptop yesterday - with StartisBack installed - and likes the option to pop the Metro interface up when needed. I have found W8 runs very nicely on the older hardware of his machine and is much better than XP or Vista.

You just have to read it here, everybody and their dog have something negative to say about it. And it seems to influence purchases of the new hardware or OEMs at least claim so, Acer anyway. Or maybe it's just convenient for them to blame somebody else for their problems.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish MS would patch Windows 8 and RT so that you can put the WSA (Metro) apps in folders. Once you've got a load of apps it becomes a bit messy, no matter how much you rearrange and split them up IMHO.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how many people are hung up by the start menu or the lack of it in Win8:rolleyes:
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I am perfectly happy to use the desktop screen to access all I need. Why should you need a start button?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how many people are hung up by the start menu or the lack of it in Win8:rolleyes:

Some people do find it difficult to understand someone else's point of view if it differs from their own, you're obviously one of those people. Try to understand that some people have different requirements and preferences to yourself and you'll get on much better in life in general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geowitch wrote: »
    I am perfectly happy to use the desktop screen to access all I need. Why should you need a start button?
    The reasons have been explored at great length here and elsewhere but it really boils down to the convenience of having a tree-structured menu popping up when required on the same screen as currently open program windows.

If you're happy using the Metro home page, that's fine. However, a lot of people prefer the traditional Start button and its menu, and I think it's fair to say that its removal is the biggest single cause of Windows 8's unpopularity.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

It's easy: they don't use their computers in the same way that you two do, probably have different setups, and the classic start button suits their usage and preferences better than Metro.

Horses for courses beats one size fits all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses for courses.
    ...and burgers...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should see the cadence with which some people start new programmes or restart their computers :D I start my five or six programmes in the morning and keep using them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 is terrible, especially for your average home user. Would never have bought a W8 laptop if I had known it was like this. Stick with w7, at least you know where you are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 is terrible
    Have you tried any of the utilities which restore the user interface to that of previous versions of Windows? Many people are of the opinion that they make Windows 8 acceptable. There's a list here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because most people I have spoken to, and on numerous threads I haave read, find it the intuitive, fast and simple way to multitask.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Horses for courses...

Anyone want a burger? I'll have a fiver each way on mine :D
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the utilities which restore the user interface to that of previous versions of Windows? Many people are of the opinion that they make Windows 8 acceptable. There's a list here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

So you have to get rid of things to make it "acceptable".
    Isn't that a bit like buying a BLT and taking out the lettuce and tomato. Why not just get a bacon sandwich in the first place ?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 is terrible, especially for your average home user. Would never have bought a W8 laptop if I had known it was like this. Stick with w7, at least you know where you are.

No it's not..............It's terrible for you, because you don't know where you are. That does not make it terrible for everyone.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    So you have to get rid of things to make it "acceptable".
    Isn't that a bit like buying a BLT and taking out the lettuce and tomato. Why not just get a bacon sandwich in the first place ?

(Was) cheaper to get the £25 BLT and throw out the stuff we don't like. The bacon is fresher too.