Remembering lyrics from old songs

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been playing some of my old Now compilations and its surprised me how accurately I remember some lyrics from the songs, considering I haven't listened to them in a good few years (they date from 1998 and 1999 - Now 41 and Now 43).

Its funny how listening to such music brings back emotions and memories from what, to me, was quite a while ago - I was 15 and 16 in those years respectively, so I guess it was an important time in my life(?) I don't know.

Some songs I seem to remember more clearly than others, although some I still struggle to sing along to I've always liked, so im not sure why that is - the brain is weird eh?.

Apart from singers/groups your a big fan of and listen to regularly anyway (or current chart music), are you able to listen to music from numerous years ago and recall the lyrics almost right away?.

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I'm quite sad in the fact I know every Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce single off by heart..

When it comes to radio playing older songs, I somehow remember lyrics to songs, even ones from before being born
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite sad in the fact I know every Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce single off by heart..

When it comes to radio playing older songs, I somehow remember lyrics to songs, even ones from before being born

I remember lyrics from songs going back to 1964/5 when I was 4 or 5 years old , Girls Aloud and Sugababes , not so much .
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't listen to the radio anymore. I like some select Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce tracks but the others? not so much. I like quite alot of music that was released before I was born as well - I like most things, apart from heavy metal.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always noticed this. You can not hear a song for 20 years yet then suddenly you will play it and remember the entire lyrics. Its strange how you never forget the words to songs you loved.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always remember " what she gunna look like with a chimney on her" dont know why
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gosh i have so many stored lyrics in my head from all over the show from musicals to rap lol i dont know how considering im the most forgetful person i know:rolleyes:

i was born in 70's but my music was from mid 80's onwards i guess, however i know the lyrics to every Beatles song off the top of my head :D

I also just found out i still know all the lyrics to vanilla ice Ice Ice Baby even though i havent heard it for years :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always remember " what she gunna look like with a chimney on her" dont know why

I remember that! wasn't it a song by The Tamperer? I only have If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better (lol) :D

There was another weird song that got re-released in the 90s which was a cover of an old song (I think), it was a novelty song that was rude - went 'Alice! who the eff is Alice?!' - anyone remember that? oh my lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the brain is a funny thing, we remember all sorts of needless info unintentionally, yet forget the simplest things
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dottzie38 wrote: »
    gosh i have so many stored lyrics in my head from all over the show from musicals to rap lol i dont know how considering im the most forgetful person i know:rolleyes:

i was born in 70's but my music was from mid 80's onwards i guess, however i know the lyrics to every Beatles song off the top of my head :D

I also just found out i still know all the lyrics to vanilla ice Ice Ice Baby even though i havent heard it for years :o

I'm pretty forgetful generally too - I rely on scribbled notes to remind me what to do some/most of the time. I was born in the mid 80s (well either early or mid 80s depending on how you see it - 1983) but lately I've been listening to older music. I'm quite a fan of 1980s music now, thats probably my favourite decade at the moment, although I was too young to remember much 'serious' music when I was alive then, it was mainly novelty kids songs or movie songs like Ghostbusters, Black Lace etc :o then there was Kylie with Locomotion and stuff :D I like a few 70s tracks too, it depends...

Chesney Hawke's One and Only came on earlier today when going through another album - that brought back some memories. I remembered most of the lyrics to that (at least the chorus anyway!). I think he was the first singer I had a crush on as a child lol :o

I also remember as a 15 year old, learning off by heart the entire Men In Black rap - I thought that was the coolest thing back then lol.