New Telly Without A Headphone socket.

i bought a telly for my bedroom. Its a samsung LE32B450. Because my partner works night shift i wear headphones so as not to disturb him. They.re quite old Panasonic cordless phones but work perfectly. When we went to wire up the telly today there is a socket for everything but my phones. The jack on the headphones base unit fits the PC/DVI AUDIO IN socket but they don't work. Anybody suggest anything or will i have to do without. Many thanks for any advice good or bad.

Comments

• zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have a phono out, you could get a phono to female 3.5 adapter, something like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BrtFoXe8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    dvi in is audio input only as said. If theres rca out and if its volume controlled you can use a dumb adaptor as said. Cheaply bought online for a couple quid, sometimes set at rip off prices in stores. If its line out only a cheap old or used receiver might work as well.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Samsung website the model you have doesn't have a headphone output:-

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE32B450C4WXXC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

You will have to get your partner to wear the headphones so he can't hear the sound.
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    You should have a phono out, you could get a phono to female 3.5 adapter, something like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BrtFoXe8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it doesn't have phono out. I have my surround sound plugged in but thats the only sound out i can see. Thanks for answering.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richer Sounds sell a headphone amplifier that you can connect to a TV scart or RCA phono output. Alternative is to get some wireless headphones which will also work from a TV scart as they have a built in amplifier
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    dvi in is audio input only as said. If theres rca out and if its volume controlled you can use a dumb adaptor as said. Cheaply bought online for a couple quid, sometimes set at rip off prices in stores. If its line out only a cheap old or used receiver might work as well.

there is one audio out which the surround sound is plugged into. There is another audio thing that looks exactly the same cept it doesn't say out. That doesn't have anything plugged into it. It says on the instructions thats component in. *connect rca audio cables to R-audio-L on the rear of your set and the other ends to corresponding audio out connectors on the DVT or DVD. Its all double dutch to me :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    According to the Samsung website the model you have doesn't have a headphone output:-

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE32B450C4WXXC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

You will have to get your partner to wear the headphones so he can't hear the sound.

haha. I like the way your mind works. Can't believe i paid a wee bit extra to get a telly with a better name and its not got the one feature i use most!! I don't even use my surround sound. Hmph.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think i may have my first invisible post!! I DID. Yay. I think lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richer Sounds sell a headphone amplifier that you can connect to a TV scart or RCA phono output. Alternative is to get some wireless headphones which will also work from a TV scart as they have a built in amplifier

i think i get what you mean. An adapter that my single connector jack from my headphones plugs into to change it to have the red and white plugs. Not explaining myself very well. Not very technically minded i.m afraid lol. Will that mean unplugging my surround sound which i don't really mind.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the "Surround Sound" has a headphone socket?

The best thing is to give the model numbers of everything, the headphones, the TV and the surround sound system.

Here's a review of the TV with a picture of the back connections:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32b450-le32b450c-20090625155.htm

The problem with a phono-to-headphone-socket adapter is that the TV remote control probably does not change the volume on the phono sockets.

The headphones will probably have a volume control on themselves though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Surely the "Surround Sound" has a headphone socket?

The best thing is to give the model numbers of everything, the headphones, the TV and the surround sound system.

Here's a review of the TV with a picture of the back connections:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32b450-le32b450c-20090625155.htm

The problem with a phono-to-headphone-socket adapter is that the TV remote control probably does not change the volume on the phono sockets.

The headphones will probably have a volume control on themselves though.

thats the telly. I found that site last night when looking for ideas what to do. The surround sound is a very basic goodmans ghc 35 with no headphone socket and the headphones panasonic rp we930t. They have a volume control on them. I googled them last night and found nothing.
    Forum Member
    there is one audio out which the surround sound is plugged into. There is another audio thing that looks exactly the same cept it doesn't say out. That doesn't have anything plugged into it. It says on the instructions thats component in. *connect rca audio cables to R-audio-L on the rear of your set and the other ends to corresponding audio out connectors on the DVT or DVD. Its all double dutch to me :-(

Thats sound input only, exactly the opposite of what you want.

As said, the surround receiver/amp should have the headphone/component output you want...
    course it might not, some of the cheap home theater in a box all in one recievers are pretty damn cut rate, so it might have the headphone out and more left out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The headphones are likely RP-WF930T.

I can't find any proper details on them though.

The thing is that the volume from TV out [phono] sockets is less than you get from a normal headphone socket.

An adapter to change the [phono] socket to headphone socket will work, but the volume might be quite low on the headphones.

If that happens then maybe an old stereo system (with a headphone socket) could be plugged into the [phono] sockets on the TV, and then the headphone base unit plugged into the stereo system.

However!, it's possible that these headphones are designed to work with either the high volume from a headphone socket or the low volume from the [phono] socket. They might do it automatically or there might be a switch on the base unit.

That's likely actually.

A review of the probably identical RP-WF930-s says they come with an adapter to work with "aux" (that's phono) and the person says they work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-WF930-S-900-Wireless-Headphones/product-reviews/B0002ICGCK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-3-5-Jack-Socket-2-Phono-RCA-Adapter-Cable-Lead-/330406693804?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cedc60bac

Is the type needed. It will probably work fine.

The TV volume will need to be turned right down or muted (as long as mute does not put an icon on screen.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i.ll go buy them now. They'll just go where the surround sound goes i take it. I rarely use it so won't mind. Thanks for helping an old croanie lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    i.ll go buy them now. They'll just go where the surround sound goes i take it. I rarely use it so won't mind. Thanks for helping an old croanie lol.

I got caught out buying a Samsung TV last year and realising it didnt have a headphone socket... after i'd set the whole tv up !!
    i promptly returned it to Comet in disgust lol.

what the hell are Samsung thinking not adding a headphone socket to a TV. they had them in the 60's for crying out loud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Can't you return the TV and buy a different one OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    Can't you return the TV and buy a different one OP?

i think most highstreet shops allow 28 days to return.
    also if you bought online you have more rights under the distant selling regs. as your not present at point of sale you get so many days to return.

i think they like stuff returned in the original packaging ect.
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got caught out buying a Samsung TV last year and realising it didnt have a headphone socket... after i'd set the whole tv up !!

what the hell are Samsung thinking not adding a headphone socket to a TV. they had them in the 60's for crying out loud.

It must depend on the model, I have a 26" 4 year old Samsung in the bedroom and a 2 year old 40" in the linvingroom and both have a headphone socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think most highstreet shops allow 28 days to return.
    also if you bought online you have more rights under the distant selling regs. as your not present at point of sale you get so many days to return.

i think they like stuff returned in the original packaging ect.

ah well see. Partner took the packing to his work last night to go in the skip. The cats, i have 6, went to play in the box so i left it in the lounge. They have shredded some of it today while i was out and to add insult to injury one of them went in it and was sick. :-(. Ba**ards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i know. Its plain stupid. I.ve never had a telly without headphones for years!! I.m just gonna keep it and use my headphones in the livingroom telly.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    It must depend on the model, I have a 26" 4 year old Samsung in the bedroom and a 2 year old 40" in the linvingroom and both have a headphone socket.
    My newish Samsung has the headphone round the back which is bad design, especially as it cut out the main sound when you plug the headphones in so I cannot just leave my wireless phones base unit plugged in. And how do people cope who are hard of hearing and like to use headphones while the rest of the family listen to the main sound?
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    My newish Samsung has the headphone round the back which is bad design, especially as it cut out the main sound when you plug the headphones in so I cannot just leave my wireless phones base unit plugged in. And how do people cope who are hard of hearing and like to use headphones while the rest of the family listen to the main sound?

Thats generally a good design to auto shut off the speakers when a headphone is plugged in. Its easier than going through tv menus. The scenario you are talking about is just too rare to really count.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »

The thing to do there is what the OP will have to end up doing, plug a wireless headphone base unit into the "phono" out sockets on the back of the TV and use the volume on the headphones.

The TV sound will be uneffected, but can be turned down if needed.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Thats generally a good design to auto shut off the speakers when a headphone is plugged in. Its easier than going through tv menus. The scenario you are talking about is just too rare to really count.
    I disagree. I also often use headphones to listen to a TV programme while I am out of the room, preparing dinner for example. And why the need to go through menus? Just turn the main sound volume all the way down. That was how my old Panny CRT used to work - that had a separate volume adjustment in the menus so you could balance the level to be within the range useful for the headphones own volume control - a one-off adjustment.

No, Samsung have just not thought this through properly leading people to have to look for the sort of workarounds already suggested on this thread. For example I have two audio feeds from my PVRs to my AV amp (which has its own front panel headphone socket). One which goes through the TV and one which bypasses the TV and goes straight to the amp. I also have a third audio feed from the PVRs to my hi-amp and speakers (better for music programmes). This gives me all the flexibility I need but possibly too complicated and confusing for the average user.