Question...Can i do a firmware upgrade on this (camera) without the software disk ???

Ok, ive got a Fuji F40fd camera, i want to do a firmware upgrade so it will then be able to take sdhc memory cards

The link below says : Before copying the update file, the software provided on the CD-ROM bundled with the camera must be installed on the PC.

I dont have the software on my pc or cd rom....is there a way around this so i am able to update my firmware ??? link below...

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/f/finepix_f40fd/download.html

any useful advice appreciated :)

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've thought that the Fuji website would have up to date versions of any bundled software, anyway...
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I would've thought that the Fuji website would have up to date versions of any bundled software, anyway...

maybe im not looking right on there but i couldnt see it ??
    or see the equivalent software that would be on the disk ??

any ideas anyone ??
    Forum Member
    anyone any ideas on the above.... ??
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the only way is to contact Fuji.
    There's nothing available on the site that seems to help your problem/answer your question. No matter what you click on it always leads back to the warning:
    "Before copying the update file, the software provided on the CD-ROM bundled with the camera must be installed on the PC"

IMHO that's very poor support from Fuji
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Reading the guide you linked to, step 2 point 5 says disconnect the usb cable, and step 2 point 6 says you've now copied the update file to the media (sd card). Step 3 initiates the update from the file on the card, without any connection to your pc.

The cd rom software installation simply provides the low level software (device driver probably) that allows the transfer program they tell you to download to talk to the camera to copy the update file to the camera. Step 3 just requires the update file FPUPDATE.DAT to be in the root directory on the sd card, it doesn't matter how you get it there, so format the card in the camera then plug the sd card into the sd cad slot on your computer, or use a usb card reader and just copy FPUPDATE.DAT across.

Nikon updates are done in exactly the same way.

Edit: found this link confirming.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    IMHO that's very poor support from Fuji

Yes I agree, very poor. Googling Fuji F40fd CD-ROM brings back very little, last night there was one on Ebay from USA and that is not there now.
    On the link in the first post if you click support ... 'download drivers and software' .... 'see all' ... and scroll down to 'MyFinePix Studio' ...... any chance that would be it ???

That would be a pure guess on my part and not suggesting it is the software needed cos I don't want to brick the OP's camera.

Edit: just read above, thats a relief :).
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Yes I agree, very poor. Googling Fuji F40fd CD-ROM brings back very little, last night there was one on Ebay from USA and that is not there now.
    On the link in the first post if you click support ... 'download drivers and software' .... 'see all' ... and scroll down to 'MyFinePix Studio' ...... any chance that would be it ???

That would be a pure guess on my part and not suggesting it is the software needed cos I don't want to brick the OP's camera.

Edit: just read above, thats a relief :).

so im guessing i can just go ahead and update the firmware without the software ? just by using the firmware and program from the fuji site ??

i was a bit wary to have a go in case i messed up or wrecked my camera
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    No, you don't need to use the software from the Fuji site, just the firmware file.

Format the card in the camera then plug the sd card into the sd card slot on your computer, or use a usb card reader, and just copy FPUPDATE.DAT across into the root directory on the sd card. Safely remove the sd card and put it back into the camera and proceed to Step 3.

The link I gave in post #6 confirms this works. If the camera isn't happy, or can't find the update file, it won't allow you to start the update.