" Shock news" old fart confused by redemption code.

juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
Forum Member
From the "Xbox gold live cheapest place????" thread

Post no. 10
Me ...... " Yesterday I got a branded one left over from a promotion (MW3) at HMV £32. 12 months plus 2.
Does anybody know if you can put in the redemption code a week or so early before the current one runs out?
"

Post no. 11
XxblacK..... "Yes u can.....it should stack up "

Well NOT IN MY BLEEDIN WORLD!

Sorry... but I needed to vent off somewhere.....
I put in the prepaid redeem code on the 6th then come the cut off date on the 10th ....no xbox live.
I get an email telling me I have let my membership run out.
So I try entering the code again but it now says that this code number has been used. :eek:
Yes I know...it was me!:mad:

After 2 hours of frustration going around in circles at the xbox website (not made better by the fact that I couldn't remember my password) I am no further along, apart from feeling like an old fart and longing for an earlier time when "contact us" meant a phone call and a human at the end of the line that you could explain your problem to.
I wish I had stuck to reading novels for a pastime.:(

So it looks like you can't put in the redemption code before your current membership runs out.

£32 down and still no xbox live.

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    When you put the code in on the 6th, what did it say on screen? Should have said 'This code entitles you to blah, blah'

Did it?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    After 2 hours of frustration going around in circles at the xbox website (not made better by the fact that I couldn't remember my password) I am no further along, apart from feeling like an old fart and longing for an earlier time when "contact us" meant a phone call and a human at the end of the line that you could explain your problem to.

So it looks like you can't put in the redemption code before your current membership runs out.

But the official site is really easy to use and the contact options are among the best I've used, no waiting around on phones being frustrated, now you can opt to speak to a MS rep from the contact us option which opens a chat window and puts you in a queue. They would be sure to sort your problem for you if you explained it to them instead of us.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it didn't stack up, the new membership should have started right then and there.
    Are you sure the code worked and didn't say it was wrong or something?
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I didn't known what to expect as it is the first time I have renewed.
    As far as I recall, all that came up after I entered the code was some blurb about the free bonus COD MW3 avatar item that came with it, and even that was only on the screen for a very short time, I clicked OK and then it went off. I assumed it had registerd.

What is confusing is that, assuming it didn't register, why does it now say "this code has been used before, please try again" each time i try again.
    I am beginning to think that HMV may not have activated the redemption card when they sold it.
    This 14 month for £32 promotion was from a while back so maybe that may be why it didn't work, perhaps HMV shouldn't have sold it.

I wouldn't mind but I only did it this way because somebody told me a tale of Microsoft taking two payments from somebody and them having to go through hell and high water to get one back. I would normally have used a credit card.
    I just seem to be going round in circles. I think I will try a trip back to HMV to check that they activated it may be my next call.:(
    Forum Member
    Was it a boxed product as in inside was a card where you scratched off some silver to reveal the code?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or does it sound like the OP has only activated a free avatar item code and not the actual Live code?

OP, was there only one code in the pack?
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's why I was asking...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the "Xbox gold live cheapest place????" thread

Post no. 10
    Me ...... " Yesterday I got a branded one left over from a promotion (MW3) at HMV £32. 12 months plus 2.
    Does anybody know if you can put in the redemption code a week or so early before the current one runs out?
    "

Post no. 11
    XxblacK..... "Yes u can.....it should stack up "

Well NOT IN MY BLEEDIN WORLD!

Sorry... but I needed to vent off somewhere.....
    I put in the prepaid redeem code on the 6th then come the cut off date on the 10th ....no xbox live.
    I get an email telling me I have let my membership run out.
    So I try entering the code again but it now says that this code number has been used. :eek:
    Yes I know...it was me!:mad:

Yes you can put in another code before your current sub runs out (iv'e done it myself without any problems). I redeemed a 14 month code this time around, one month before, my then current sub was due to run out.

I'm not quite sure what is causing your'e problem but a call to their support should get it sorted out. They will have the info of the code/codes that have been redeemed on your account.

I always keep the code card just in case there's any problems so that if I need to contact them I can give them any details they may ask for from that card.

I hope you get it sorted out.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Sorted..........:D

When things go wrong it is often best to look for the simple answer first.
    It wasn't the card that was wrong.

it wasn't HMV that was wrong.

It was the old fart that was wrong.:D

After speaking to a nice chap at Xbox support I realised that there was two numbers under the silver scratch off section on the card. I didnt know this.
    One for the free Avatar item and one that was the xbox live redemption code. When I scratched off the first number I assumed it was the xbox live number and stopped scratching.
    Ah assumption....the mother and father of many ****ups.:(
    I feel a little better that the chap said they get a call about this once or twice a week so I am not alone in my idiocy.:o
    Anyway many thanks for all you help everyone.
    Speak to you next year when I will have forgotten how to do it again.
    Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Us old timers do make mistakes from time to time but i'm glad you got it sorted out :)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I read the OP I knew what he'd done.

As he says, that old saying about assumption....