Dead Macbook or dead hard drive?

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My macbook died a couple of days ago, all I got was the flashing question mark folder on boot. Booting with DVD says there was no suitable place to install OSX so it obviously wasn't seeing the hard drive, and it didn't appear in Disk Utility.

I assumed it was my hard drive, so ordered a replacement. I got a Seagate hybrid drive 1TB, which should be compatable (any drive should be!). However, when I install it I can't even boot from CD. I just get the grey screen, the CD spins up but then nothing happens. Putting the old drive back in allows boot from CD.

My fear is this is a bus failure not a drive failure. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try putting the old drive in a USB caddy, connecting it to the Macbook and booting while holding down the Option key.

It should give you a selection of drives you can boot from. If the USB drive is listed you'll know it's a problem with the Macbook and not the drive.

You can also boot from the DVD and install to a connected USB drive, so you could try installing onto the Hybrid drive that way and then putting it into the Macbook afterwards.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice, thanks. Just need a caddy... It would have to be urgent as I can't do any work!!