What idiot has inflicted Time Team with signing?

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an odd edition of All Creatures Great and Small on Yesterday a few months ago, in the middle of a re-run of the entire series, which suddenly had signing on both daytime showings. I'm not sure if it disappeared after one day because, frankly, it was enough to put me off watching, but when I looked a few days later it was back to normal.

It had been billed a signed in listings, and I have a funny feeling it might just have been a scheduling error, and those responsible for transmission just followed their instructions.

Maybe this was an error as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am also sure there will be militant [deaf people] who expect every programme to be signed, in vision.

I have never seen such an opinion expressed on BBC's See Hear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a crazy way to finish the series- after 20 years some really mess up at channel 4 I wonder if we will get an apology.

An apology is required for running a program for 20yrs that seems to consist of some bunch of old men digging in a field and finding (surprise, surprise) an old wall...
  • JAK99JAK99 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    It was surely a mistake?

I appreciate the usefulness of a signed transmission to help those who need it and if it had been regularly broadcast signed in that slot then one would have come to expect it, but for the first time in 20 years... er... no! People's names were obscured by the signing so C4 really need to consider their production techniques to prevent this happening for when they do sign programmes. This should be considered in their programme maker's guidelines if they have such a document. Still it seems they don't really care as there is no consideration for those that do not like any DOGs/logos spoiling the image.

An effect of the signing seemed to cause a general lack of contrast in the programme behind it; this might be just because the colour balance of the signer did not match that of the programme.

The idea of simulcasting a signed and non signed version at the same time on different channels ought to be considered seriously by C4 (and other channels.) Perhaps putting the signer over the DOG would be a useful idea.

I wrote to C4 to ask if a non signed version would be scheduled on C4 sometime soon; have yet to hear from them.

To those who complain about the content of Time Team, there are some of us who watch it avidly and will sorely miss it. Surely with around 40 episodes being broadcast across the channels in just one week recently the argument that no one wants to watch it just doesn't hold up, or the channel is completely stupid. Some might think that but I do not hold that opinion! We'll have to await and see what Tim Taylor's new enterprise, Dig Village brings forth.

John
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAK99 wrote: »
    The idea of simulcasting a signed and non signed version at the same time on different channels ought to be considered seriously by C4 (and other channels.)

But this would not meet ofcom requirements ....
    Why should a PSB which makes a loss on its channel use commercial channel space ...
    And is this a solution for he low quota channels who use the com minty channel?

But a making an IP simulcast with SL may be the way out ...
    Start lobbying in the new Comms act !,
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hewjars wrote: »
    An apology is required for running a program for 20yrs that seems to consist of some bunch of old men digging in a field and finding (surprise, surprise) an old wall...

If you believe that digging team are a bunch of old men I suggest you take a trip to Specsavers asap

Rasha Dave
    Cassie Newland
    Tracey Smiith
    Bridgid Gallaher
    Alice Roberts
    Matt Williams
    Helen Geake
    Carenza Lewis

Old men? I don't think so:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    But this would not meet ofcom requirements ....
    Why should a PSB which makes a loss on its channel use commercial channel space ...
    And is this a solution for he low quota channels who use the com minty channel?

But a making an IP simulcast with SL may be the way out ...
    Start lobbying in the new Comms act !,

I couldn't care tuppence about Ofcom it's the viewers that matter. As I said, it just had to be a mistake and nothing to do with quotas.
    In any case it gets repeated on other C4 channels signed and I doubt the quota states when the quota needs to be scheduled, so wouldn't actually make any difference.

Clearly C4 were not bothered to make sure they put the right tape in yesterday afternoon. (It isn't the first time for them - I recall them playing a film out in the wrong order some time ago!)

John
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, it just had to be a mistake and nothing to do with quotas.

It was marked in the listings as a signed programme - so if it was a mistake then they've at least been consistent...
    Forum Member
    Probably how the error crept in, but they have done that before and realised the error and transmitted the normal version.

John
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care tuppence about Ofcom it's the viewers that matter. As I said, it just had to be a mistake and nothing to do with quotas.
    In any case it gets repeated on other C4 channels signed and I doubt the quota states when the quota needs to be scheduled, so wouldn't actually make any difference.

Clearly C4 were not bothered to make sure they put the right tape in yesterday afternoon. (It isn't the first time for them - I recall them playing a film out in the wrong order some time ago!)

John

The Info button on Freeview showed 'signed'.
  • Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Info button on Freeview showed 'signed'.

As did various online listings

Print listings like the Radio Times while listing various other programmes as signed didn't list Time Team so whatever changed it to signed was apparently in the last few days .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    Because signing is some people's first language, and TV isn't solely produced for your benefit.

Here here!!! :D Profoundly D/deaf people (born Deaf or became deaf as a child) are taught BSL as their first language. Deaf people have the right to watch programmes at a time which is convenient to them too and with BSL. It's called equality to those who are ignorant and want to boycott C4. SOME PEOPLE ARE DEAF - GET OVER IT. (Myself included)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    e04731 wrote: »
    Here here!!! :D Profoundly D/deaf people (born Deaf or became deaf as a child) are taught BSL as their first language. Deaf people have the right to watch programmes at a time which is convenient to them too and with BSL. It's called equality to those who are ignorant and want to boycott C4. SOME PEOPLE ARE DEAF - GET OVER IT. (Myself included)

But in vision signing is very intrusive, any channel deciding to have it on all programmes would rapidly lose a lot of viewers.

The next two (and last) programmes are not billed as signed.
    Forum Member
    I think some are missing the point here. I doubt anyone cannot see how useful signed programmes are for the deaf and these versions have their own broadcast slots.
    The point is that the Sunday afternoon slot for Time Team on C4 has never been signed in all its 20 years, apart from the one last Sunday. Time Team does have other slots which are signed and good for that. But not that Sunday afternoon one! There is the normal scheduled repeat that has recently been regularly signed. How would those expecting to find that one broadcast without signing? No doubt just as frustrated.
    Could it be C4 set about even more to prove no one watches it by making sure it ended up with a very low viewer rating to prove they were correct in axing it?
    So sad.

John
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Why should they,they have nothing to apologise for.
    in my opinion it is for Showing a signed edition at a time they have never done before in 20 years - thus making programme not as enjoyable as it should have been . T programme should be filmed with signing in mind and it should not have been done in such a poor way as was done for this time team episode.
    Forum Member
    I hope Channel 4 won't mind me showing you their response.
    We are very sorry that this episode of TIME TEAM was broadcast with the signer included. This was a human error and the incident is being fully investigated to ensure this does not happen again. This episode of TIME TEAM will be broadcast at 2.10am on Friday 15th March and will be broadcast without signing. Nevertheless, please be assured your complaint has been logged and noted for the information of those responsible for our programming.

Thank you Channel 4, so to those who wish to know, please note the time for the unsigned repeat (albeit in the small hours of the morning.)

nb Now, isn't that the slot when the signed version is normally transmitted? I can see those requiring the signed version getting upset!

John
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you Channel 4, so to those who wish to know, please note the time for the unsigned repeat (albeit in the small hours of the morning.)

nb Now, isn't that the slot when the signed version is normally transmitted? I can see those requiring the signed version getting upset!

John

Exactly - as it is being shown on 4/7 as well, without signing - I would leave it as the normal; signed version on C4 in the early moring repeat. Or is that too logical?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least C4 admitted that the signing was transmitted in error, a rare thing these days to admit mistakes.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Well at least C4 admitted that the signing was transmitted in error, a rare thing these days to admit mistakes.

Perhaps C4 is an obvious candidate replacement as the main PSB if or when, the BBC is closed down:D
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    to be honest signing on TV programmes does not bother me, if anything all programming should more acessable for people with hearing problems
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member

John

Ta. Set up to record the early-morning programme. I deleted the original when I found out it was signed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I also complained to Channel 4 about the signing and I received an apology very similar to that received by JAK99. No mention of human error but there was a promise that it would not happen again.

Chris
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Red Bee gets hit with service credits....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

John

Bang goes my theory that it was a deliberate test to test public reaction.