Dial tone when ringing mobile abroad

my-mate-marmitemy-mate-marmite Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello all,

Just a quickie. A colleague of mine is claiming he is trapped abroad due to the volcanic ash and therefore cannot return when he was scheduled to. We work in the banking sector and holidays have to be booked way in advance and unless there are exceptional circumstances, these are not usually allowed to be extended. He originally wanted to book a longer break, but was told this couldn't be authorised as too many people would be on leave at that time. He left a message for my manager saying he would not be back until the end of the week due to the ash situation and when he called his mobile back it just rang as normal and no one answered. My manager said it was odd as the dial tone was as normal, i.e. as if you were calling someone in the UK, when apparently if you are abroad the dial tone should sound a bit different. Is this true?

Thanks!

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Just a quickie. A colleague of mine is claiming he is trapped abroad due to the volcanic ash and therefore cannot return when he was scheduled to. We work in the banking sector and holidays have to be booked way in advance and unless there are exceptional circumstances, these are not usually allowed to be extended. He originally wanted to book a longer break, but was told this couldn't be authorised as too many people would be on leave at that time. He left a message for my manager saying he would not be back until the end of the week due to the ash situation and when he called his mobile back it just rang as normal and no one answered. My manager said it was odd as the dial tone was as normal, i.e. as if you were calling someone in the UK, when apparently if you are abroad the dial tone should sound a bit different. Is this true?

Thanks!

I can't be sure, but I'm not sure it would sound different. When you dial a UK mobile from the UK, you're connecting to the UK operator, not the foreign one. The UK operator then links with its foreign partner network, and the mobile phone owner has to pay for the "foreign" part of the call. A lot of people leave their mobiles on answer when they're abroad to save money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think it should sound different. If you dial a UK mobile which is in the UK the dial tone sounds like the tone you get when you use a landline, but if the mobile you are calling is abroad it's more of a beeping sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    You mean ringing tone, not dial tone. It's the same, as you are diallng the UK network - it's invisible where in the world his mobile really is. If you were calling a foreign landline then you would get a different ringing tone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    You mean ringing tone, not dial tone. It's the same, as you are diallng the UK network - it's invisible where in the world his mobile really is. If you were calling a foreign landline then you would get a different ringing tone.

Yes, that's what I thought.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

Correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it says here:

a UK mobile will give the UK ring when
    - it is in the UK and turned on.
    - it is anywhere and been turned off (powered off)

It only gives the foreign ring if
    - it is turned on and available in the foreign country.
    - it has recently been turned on, and has gone out of coverage.
    after about a period of time (20mins - 1 hour) if it does not come back, it is assumed to be turned off, and go to the UK ring (as above).
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only get a "foreign" ring tone if you connect directly to a foreign telecoms system. Which only applies to land lines where you have to use the 00 plus country code International dialling prefix.

That does not apply when dialling UK mobiles from the UK as you just dial the number as normal. Which means your call goes to the same entry point into the mobile network whether the recipient is in Tonbridge Wells or Timbuktu.
  • my-mate-marmitemy-mate-marmite Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, this is more confusing than I thought!!
  • collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A chap who rang me whan I was in portugal last month knew I was abroad as the ringing tone was different. Mine's a UK mobile (Orange)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You only get a "foreign" ring tone if you connect directly to a foreign telecoms system. Which only applies to land lines where you have to use the 00 plus country code International dialling prefix.

That does not apply when dialling UK mobiles from the UK as you just dial the number as normal. Which means your call goes to the same entry point into the mobile network whether the recipient is in Tonbridge Wells or Timbuktu.

Oh okay yeah, sorry I was wrong! I just checked again and it's only foreign landlines which have a different ringing tone, UK mobiles are the same anywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    When my Boss is away and I ring her on an English phone, I get a different dialling tone, not the usual one we get here....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collincn wrote: »
    A chap who rang me whan I was in portugal last month knew I was abroad as the ringing tone was different. Mine's a UK mobile (Orange)

Maybe you have to look at it this way. When you're abroad, the full mobile connection has two stages, one to the UK service provider, and one from the UK service provider to the foreign partner. If the phone is switched off, the second stage doesn't apply, because the call will go straight to answer, therefore the ringtone will be "British". If the phone is switched on and ready to receive calls, the UK service provider will route the call to the foreign partner, and the tone you hear will be the "foreign" tone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I've called home from abroad mobile-to-mobile, but from outside Europe. The ringing tone sounds the same, but slightly crackly and slower, it sounds 'distant'.

Though I was calling the UK, I'm not sure what people heard when they called me.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,424
    Forum Member
    collincn wrote: »

ditto when I was in France
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I make calls abroad for my job quite alot.

I always know when my clients are abroad because the ring is different (calling their mobiles).

If they are in England it goes 'ring ring.... ring ring... etc'

If they are abroad it goes 'riiinnnnnnnggggg........ riiinnnnggggg.......'

That's my experience :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just ask what airport he is at and check out the validity?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i ring friends abroad on their UK mobile it always sounds engaged but is the ring tone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same, as you are diallng the UK network - it's invisible where in the world his mobile really is. If you were calling a foreign landline then you would get a different ringing tone.
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Correct.

Incorrect (unless you were referring to the fact that it's called a 'ringing tone', not a 'dial tone').

I've called UK mobiles that have been abroad on a number of occasions, and have always been able to tell straight away they were abroad due to the different ringing tone.

So to the OP, yes - hearing the UK ringing tone when trying to call your colleague would suggest that he is in the UK.. or somewhere that uses the same ringing tone as the UK!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    Incorrect (unless you were referring to the fact that it's called a 'ringing tone', not a 'dial tone').

I've called UK mobiles that have been abroad on a number of occasions, and have always been able to tell straight away they were abroad due to the different ringing tone.

So to the OP, yes - hearing the UK ringing tone when trying to call your colleague would suggest that he is in the UK.. or somewhere that uses the same ringing tone as the UK!

In my experience this is correct. My mate went on holiday and I didn't realise he was away. I phoned him a couple of times without him answering, and the ring tone was significantly diffferent, which is how I realised he was abroad. At work we also get international calls which mean our phone rings slightly differently, altho that could be the way the phones are set up??
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    When i ring friends abroad on their UK mobile it always sounds engaged but is the ring tone!

This is what happens when I call my mum in Spain.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking, you should hear a foreign ringing-tone but, as mentioned above, there are exceptions. If he never turned his mobile on abroad (say, choosing to get a local PAYG SIM or just using payphones instead) then you would still get the UK ringtone.

I don't think you can really use it as proof one way or the other, to be honest....
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »

Actually, it would only suggest his phone was in the UK, or was last turned off in the UK. It gives no hint as to where he is......
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother lives in Germany and his mobile is on the German network i.e. begins with 00 49 the German country code. Usually when I ring it from the UK, it has the continental single ring tone as is normal in Germany, but sometimes it has the British double ring tone. I think it is too general to say that any country or network has a particular ring tone, it can vary as this proves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Hubby is a lorry driver and is usually in Europe in the week. I call his mobile and you can tell straight away when he has left the country
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my hubby once got accused of being abroad when he was off sick, we came back from portugal on the monday and he was ill, so went to the docs on the tuesday to get a sick line, sent it into work, but because he hadnt turned his phone on they didnt believe he was back because the message was still in portuguese! they soon realised when they phoned our house phone!

someone phoned my mobile in portugal and wondered why my ringing tone was different