What can be done about noisy kids upstairs?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    It goes on from orning until night. And nope this guy doesnt work,he never leaves the flat. He looks a mess. No wonder the kids are playing with balls he doesnt give a to**. they may have the right to be kids,but we have the right to live in our home free from annoyance and stress that we pay to live in. But thankyou to the helpful advice we are going to speak to environmental heath after new year and keep pestering the housing officer. Im sure the people who are saying im being over sensitive wouldnt be saying it if tey were having to put up with it from morning until night.

I didn't say you were over sensitive, I said sensitive as
    in 'it bothers you more than someone that hadn't been living with it' it's well known fact that if something irritates you, your more tuned into it.

You've been given a load of good advice on the thread but won't take it, you seem to want someone to say 'oh yes click this link and they'll be evicted' it doesn't t work like that. If you are not willing to speak to them in a reasonable manner then nothing is going to change. As I said, instead of sitting there listening to it 'all day', go out and get some fresh air yourself.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what they do aaprt from being a nuicance.

Most children over the age of four would be in school from 9am till 3pm everyday except weekends. So does this happen every day or just weekends?
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they're allowed to kick balls around all day. Could do a lot of damage. I also find it hard to believe that they get up and kick a football around all day everyday. Even a child would get bored of that after awhile.

So do i to be honest. I used to get bored after an hour but you can tell its a ball as it continues hitting the ground. Its hard to describe. When ive been taking rubbish down to the commujnal bins ive even looked up and seen them playing with it. (no net curtains)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most children over the age of four would be in school from 9am till 3pm everyday except weekends. So does this happen every day or just weekends?

It happens every single weekend,every holiday and most school days bar one or two but then it carries on in the evening. And yes it is quite concerning for the kids if theyre playing with a ball.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    But it's not constant is it? He's already said its day time only, I presume if they are old enough to be running round playing ball constantly they are at least old enough for nursery or school, so in all likelyhood it's more that the op is sensitive to it, and finds it annoying because he's more aware of it (its like disliking someone, so everything they do becomes an issue)

More than an hour or two is constant enough and if the OP is at work in the day, then it's constant from when they return. And which parent in their right mind lets a child kick a football around the house for prolonged periods? I would have got a sharp clip around the ear hole, but then they were considerate, clearly a lot of people are not.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happens every single weekend,every holiday and most school days bar one or two but then it carries on in the evening. And yes it is quite concerning for the kids if theyre playing with a ball.

Most school days but not all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most school days but not all?

Some weeks it can be every day and some weeks only a few. Now they are screaming
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Is there a mum or is he a single parent bringing the kids up on his own/.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Is there a mum or is he a single parent bringing the kids up on his own/.

single parent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Can't you offer to take the girls to the park for him for an hour or so to give him a wee break? You might think its hard for you but I bet its one hell of a lot harder for him.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Can't you offer to take the girls to the park for him for an hour or so to give him a wee break? You might think its hard for you but I bet its one hell of a lot harder for him.

I bet it bloody isn't. And as the OP doesn't speak to this neighbour, won't it look very odd to ask if they want to take the kids to the park?!!
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable! So the OP should move because someone has no consideration for their neighbours? I hope you're having a laugh! It's very easy to say its kids being kids but if you're living with constant noise, it can leave you constantly on edge. Why should you have to deal with that in your home? I'm damn sure you wouldn't put up with it.

OP I suggest you continue to push the housing officer about it. If you feel you're being ignored, can you not complain to his superior?

If someone is very sensitive to noise and expecting unreasonably quiet behaviour from children then yes I'd suggest finding somewhere quieter to live. That's not unbelievable - it's common sense. What's the point of battling with authorities that can't help. After all - they can't expect someone to keep their children silent.

Personally if I had a problem with a neighbour I'd go and have a conversation about it and if I couldn't find a resolution I'd move on. Life is too short to be starting a battle you can't win.

This isn't the housing officer's problem to solve - it's a function of people with different levels of tolerance to noise living in close proximity
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some weeks it can be every day and some weeks only a few. Now they are screaming

Kids are noisy. It would be incredibly stressful on a parent to keep them silent. Get some earplugs or spend more time outside the flat yourself if it bothers you so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do i have to go out more when ive done nothing wrong? Why should i put up with them doing activities that are meant for outdoors? As ive said there are plenty of indoor activities that are quiet but he cantt be bothered to do them with his kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And anyway if he wont listen to the housing officer about keeping the noise down why would he listen to me?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is an extremely well-behaved child (even if I do say so myself :p ). She's so mature for her age that I sometimes forget she's only 3! However, she still jumps, runs (dances), drops things on the floor, plays ball, screams and cries on occasion and does many other normal kiddy stuff that would annoy a sensitive neighbour. Kids make more noise than (most) adults. It's a fact and just because a child is noisy doesn't mean he/she is not looked after properly.

In any event, I thought you couldn't (effectively) stop people from making noise unless it was at night.
    Forum Member
    Why do i have to go out more when ive done nothing wrong? Why should i put up with them doing activities that are meant for outdoors? As ive said there are plenty of indoor activities that are quiet but he cantt be bothered to do them with his kids.

He probably feels exactly the same, it's his home, why should he have to behave different ly in it? You talk about considerqtion for neighbours, and I agree, there should be some but you show none for him, you expect him to live in a certain way to suit you. The poor guy probably doesn't even know there's an issue, yet your labelling him a crappy parent. I highly doubt this is the case, a crap parent wouldn't be keeping the kids occupied and happy, they'd be wandering the halls being real nuisances (trust me, I've lived it). Nobody is saying its not annoying but as I said above you are not willing to take the advice on the thread, so either have to put up with it or take your self out for a few hours, a break from it won't make it seem as bad. But your best option is t talk to him.
    And anyway if he wont listen to the housing officer about keeping the noise down why would he listen to me?

I hinesly doubt the housing officer will do anything, as per the general consensus on the thread, kids will be kids and although you feel it's excessive (which we can't judge as we are not there) it's within reasonable hours, so there is probably nothing the ho can/will do.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed at the comments that children should be allowed to play, you can't expect them to stop for you etc. Yes they should be allowed to play but that doesn't have to involve kicking a ball around in a flat. My children play loads but aren't allowed to bring a ball or other outdoor toys in the house. If they want to run around they have to go outside. There are so many ways kids can play that don't involve constant running around. Also I think it is important that children learn to respect other people so if my kids come running in my bedroom shouting at 6am (as has been known to happen) I point put that they have probably woken our neighbours as I think they need to think about others.

On a practical note I would phone environmental health. When our neighbours started karaoke at 2am a few weeks running I called them. They made contact with our neighbours and the situation improved radically.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    On a practical note I would phone environmental health. When our neighbours started karaoke at 2am a few weeks running I called them. They made contact with our neighbours and the situation improved radically.

There is a big difference karaoke and kids. unless there is signs of negate in which case they can contact social services, else there is nothing they will do
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the comments that children should be allowed to play, you can't expect them to stop for you etc. Yes they should be allowed to play but that doesn't have to involve kicking a ball around in a flat. My children play loads but aren't allowed to bring a ball or other outdoor toys in the house. If they want to run around they have to go outside. There are so many ways kids can play that don't involve constant running around. Also I think it is important that children learn to respect other people so if my kids come running in my bedroom shouting at 6am (as has been known to happen) I point put that they have probably woken our neighbours as I think they need to think about others.

Totally agree with this. Yes children should be able to play but not a ball indoors particularly a flat. The OP has RIGHT to peace and quiet in his OWN home.It is the fathers responsibility that he takes his children out to play ball or noisy games not for the OP to leave his flat for peace. The OP is not the one inflicting his noise for others to hear.
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Yes children should be able to play but not a ball indoors particularly a flat. The OP has RIGHT to peace and quiet in his OWN home.It is the fathers responsibility that he takes his children out to play ball or noisy games not for the OP to leave his flat for peace.

But the father has the right to act as he likes in his own home too. Perhaps ball games should be kept outside, but I think the ball is just on example from the op, I don't know any kids that play with a ball for endless hours, I suspect it's more likely that they run up and down, drop things, play with toys etc, just making general kid noise, that does sound worse through the floor.

I don't like putting my kids in front of a tv, I like them to play and be kids. If that means noise, then it means noise, when I was in a flat I kept it to decent, daytime hours but there was still noise, granted we didn't play ball, but I'm sure my downstairs neighbour thought we were coming through it sometimes.

As I and many others have said, the father needs to be made aware of the noise, if the op is unwilling to discuss it with him, then he either has to put up with it or go out to avoid it. Besides sitting at home all day every day getting annoyed at the kids upstairs will only serve to make the op more and more bitter about it.

Noise from neighbours is horrid. I live in a detached house now, yet still have to put up with my neighbours outside having long, drunken conversations whilst having a **** (very long ones too). Dring the summer it keeps my daughter awake. But I can't and won't say anything, it's thier home, and I'm sure my kids make noise when they don't want to hear it.

So I chose to put up with it, rather than tackle the issue with them. The op needs to decide one way or the other, either put up with it or talk to him. There's no magic solution.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bazaar I agree thay the OP has to take action or else nothing will change. Perhaps the father has no idea on how much the noise is upsetting his neighbour a good open honest talk is needed to start with. I disagree with you about his rights to live as he wishes then there would be mayhem. Has the OP got a tenancy agreement. If so noisy ball games slamming doors etc would be in that contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    He probably feels exactly the same, it's his home, why should he have to behave different ly in it? You talk about considerqtion for neighbours, and I agree, there should be some but you show none for him, you expect him to live in a certain way to suit you. The poor guy probably doesn't even know there's an issue, yet your labelling him a crappy parent. I highly doubt this is the case, a crap parent wouldn't be keeping the kids occupied and happy, they'd be wandering the halls being real nuisances (trust me, I've lived it). Nobody is saying its not annoying but as I said above you are not willing to take the advice on the thread, so either have to put up with it or take your self out for a few hours, a break from it won't make it seem as bad. But your best option is t talk to him.

I hinesly doubt the housing officer will do anything, as per the general consensus on the thread, kids will be kids and although you feel it's excessive (which we can't judge as we are not there) it's within reasonable hours, so there is probably nothing the ho can/will do.

All i want is for him to stop his kids banging footballs on the floor. Its not asking much. Im surprised i havent heard things smashing or windows breaking.
    He knows there is an issue as i have spoken to another neighbour who has complained about the noise but he doesnt care that his kids are making people's lives hell.
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Bazaar I agree thay the OP has to take action or else nothing will change. Perhaps the father has no idea on how much the noise is upsetting his neighbour a good open honest talk is needed to start with. I disagree with you about his rights to live as he wishes then there would be mayhem. Has the OP got a tenancy agreement. If so noisy ball games slamming doors etc would be in that contract.

I suspect it is the case that he's no idea, especially if he's not lived beneath a similar family before. I agree there should be consideration for others, but that goes both ways, the op wants it all his way, he talks about HIS rights in his flat - BOTH parties need to consider each other, if the op can accept that kids do make noise, but talk to the father and say that it's a little loud, all the time, the father won't feel that he has to keep the kids quiet 24/7, but rather, be more considerate.

Sadly living in flats (or anywhere really) means compromising, and few get the 100% ideal living circumstances they want. Even in a detached I still keep the kids in until later in the morning, after ten on a Sunday, so they don't wake the neighbourhood up. It's courtesy, but like I said, it works both ways.
    Forum Member
    Op - do u know if he has laminate? It makes things 1000x worse.