Humax HDR-1000S Firmware Update 1.00.16 - Now Available

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If like me you're an occasional viewer, with 3 or 4 series recordings, who some nights doesn't switch the thing on at all, it can have a major impact.

Ok, now this does concern me.
    The things we always have set to record are Holby,Casualty,Eastenders and Corrie which due to Netflix and my wife working shifts means that sometimes I don't even turn our freeview PVR on at all most days and then catch up with the recordings when we're both home together.
    If your saying that I may have an issue finding that these have or have not been recorded then that's a bit or a worry.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Ok, now this does concern me.
    The things we always have set to record are Holby,Casualty,Eastenders and Corrie which due to Netflix and my wife working shifts means that sometimes I don't even turn our freeview PVR on at all most days and then catch up with the recordings when we're both home together.
    If your saying that I may have an issue finding that these have or have not been recorded then that's a bit or a worry.

It's a bug introduced in Firmware 1.0.16 for the Humax HDR-1000s G2 freesat box. It only applies to this box, not any Freeview boxes.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It's a bug introduced in Firmware 1.0.16 for the Humax HDR-1000s G2 freesat box. It only applies to this box, not any Freeview boxes.

I thinks you've misinterpreted what I've said Graham.
    Edward gave a scenario which is pretty much as how I use my current Freeview PVR now.
    So when I do decide to buy the HDR-1000s it seems that until if and when Humax fix this issue then its a little worrying that I won't be able to use it in the same way without the risk of it not recording anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I thinks you've misinterpreted what I've said Graham.
    Edward gave a scenario which is pretty much as how I use my current Freeview PVR now.
    So when I do decide to buy the HDR-1000s it seems that until if and when Humax fix this issue then its a little worrying that I won't be able to use it in the same way without the risk of it not recording anything.

By the time you buy one I imagine it will be fixed, it was referred to the Humax Engineers in S Korea a while ago (confirmed by the Freesat site), in any case setting autopadding eliminates the issue.

I posted the available workaround information way back in this thread.

Post 83

After 1.0.16 it became impossible to record the daily breakfast show unless you either.

Left the box on 24/7, added autopadding, created a manual recording reservation or set the box to wake up for 10 mins or so about an hour before the recording was due to start.

Without the above the box wakes up as it should 15 mins before the recording was due but fails to actually start recording.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Perfect example of the lack of sense of proportion :cry:

Exactly the point I was trying to make, trivial problem simply push the button a little slower. :eek: A few milliseconds longer to skip the ads is hardly a major issue is it.

Most pvrs don't have skip keys anyway, would you return it as being unfit for purpose ?

So as you appear to be very pro Freesat/Freetime do you think the product has been rushed to market in response to Youview? Would you also consider that the average Joe with no tech know how would have a trouble free ride as the unit currently stands?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    So as you appear to be very pro Freesat/Freetime do you think the product has been rushed to market in response to Youview? Would you also consider that the average Joe with no tech know how would have a trouble free ride as the unit currently stands?

Whether a new user would have problems is down to the way they use the box. If left in sby for long periods then yes an average user would have problems. If they came home from work at say 17:00 and only recorded content in the evenings then they wouldn't notice the problem. In fairness the major problems appeared recently with the change of firmware from v6 to v16, so were unlikely to come to light easily. If you buy a box the last thing most would do is set a load of recordings and leave it alone for 8 days. . If you look at the Freesat forum threads you will see that I suggested weeks ago that problems would happen if boxes were left in extended sby. On V6 that looked like periods in excess of 7 days.

By the way the Youview box was/is far from perfect as well.

Every new pvr I ever had was the same, the Topfield was very troublesome for months by the way, and is now regarded as the best SD pvr ever.
    Forum Member
    Whether a new user would have problems is down to the way they use the box. If left in sby for long periods then yes an average user would have problems. If they came home from work at say 17:00 and only recorded content in the evenings then they wouldn't notice the problem. In fairness the major problems appeared recently with the change of firmware from v6 to v16, so were unlikely to come to light easily. If you buy a box the last thing most would do is set a load of recordings and leave it alone for 8 days. . If you look at the Freesat forum threads you will see that I suggested weeks ago that problems would happen if boxes were left in extended sby. On V6 that looked like periods in excess of 7 days.

By the way the Youview box was/is far from perfect as well.

Every new pvr I ever had was the same, the Topfield was very troublesome for months by the way, and is now regarded as the best SD pvr ever.

It really shouldn't be this way though. We all know that lots of companies use the public as unofficial beta testers. However, most do tend to remedy faults quickly as they don't want to damage their customer base. One exception to that would be Sky as they take ages to remedy EPG quirks. What I would say though is the faults I have had with my Sky+HD box are minor compared to this current Freesat box. Now Fringe has finished I have zero Sky programmes in my planner. I think I may get this Freesat box but keep my Sky sub going whilst I test the Humax as I often leave my Sky box recording unattended for a week at a time. From what you are saying this may produce issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    ...I often leave my Sky box recording unattended for a week at a time. From what you are saying this may produce issues...(in the Humax)
    I left my Humax 1000S recording unattended and in standby for one month, it did not miss a single recording. I have settings of auto on/off and padding of 2 min start / 10 min end.
    Having said that I am not 100% happy with the box which is liberally scattered with bugs and stupid omissions, due I think to design by committee with no single overseeing responsibility. Hopefully, given the level of dissatisfaction being openly expressed on the Freesat forum, this will get fixed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    well i finally got a reply from Humax to my email...
    Dear Mr Dyer,

We are aware of an issue like this; whereby the box fails to switch on during the day - to record scheduled in programmes. We are releasing a software update at the start of February to resolve this issue. Is this the specific issue you are having? If so, pleas accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

In the meantine, we can recommend performing a manual reset of the box - this sometimes resolves these issues. The instructions are below.

Press the "settings" button on your remote control
    Use the arrow keys to select System settings.
    Once in this you will see Factory default.
    Press OK to select this.
    Select Yes to confirm this, and enter your pin code which is 0000 as default.

The box will reboot itself and then you will go through the initial set up again (as if performing it for the first time.) Follow the on screen instructions.

If you have any problems please contact us. Hopefully this will resolve your issues, should they continue please either give me an email, or give us a call back.

Best Regards,

Stephen D

Humax Customer Support
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fix for first recording failure now available from the Humax beta site.

See

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-software-version-10022
    Forum Member
    Fix for first recording failure now available from the Humax beta site.

See

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-software-version-10022

excellent will b doing that tonight, and will test it out for the morning :D, excellent if works save me having to re-schedule all my recordings

does the unit have to be powered off or like some1 says can you do it via standby, and if so how is this done...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    excellent will b doing that tonight, and will test it out for the morning :D, excellent if works save me having to re-schedule all my recordings

does the unit have to be powered off or like some1 says can you do it via standby, and if so how is this done...

Instructions on the site. Briefly unit in sby, make sure it's in sby long enough to discharge the internal capacitors and that the unit isn't recording (say 5 min).

Copy the file to a usb stick and check the name is as instructed. Put in the front usb stick, press the power button once and then hold down the channel down button above the usb slot until you see updating on the display. Have the TV on and tuned to the HDR-1000s before hand to see the update progress on screen.
    Forum Member
    Instructions on the site. Briefly unit in sby, make sure it's in sby long enough to discharge the internal capacitors and that the unit isn't recording (say 5 min).

Copy the file to a usb stick and check the name is as instructed. Put in the front usb stick, press the power button once and then hold down the channel down button above the usb slot until you see updating on the display. Have the TV on and tuned to the HDR-1000s before hand to see the update progress on screen.

ok excellent will do that when home before i turn it on as it has been in standby all day so should b fine for when i home :D....hoping it fixes as is annoying having to have the freesat on even when not watching it just to make sure it records....
    Forum Member
    update done will now see if works
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    update done will now see if works

Set breakfast as a series, see if it's recording tommorow morning, turn off power on timer and padding of course if you have them.
    Forum Member
    it will b set, and didnt have power on/off set as i left the unit on from morning till i came hom efrom work.... althop the beta site states loader Loader version: UKSFAA 1.03, mine according to the box is Loader version: UKSFAA 1.02 i dare say it doesnt matter too much as long as software works :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it will b set, and didnt have power on/off set as i left the unit on from morning till i came hom efrom work.... althop the beta site states loader Loader version: UKSFAA 1.03, mine according to the box is Loader version: UKSFAA 1.02 i dare say it doesnt matter too much as long as software works :D

No significant difference 1.02 to 1.03. Same question asked on My Humax :D

Sometimes the loader version is changed merely to assist with the production process.
    Forum Member
    No significant difference 1.02 to 1.03. Same question asked on My Humax :D

Sometimes the loader version is changed merely to assist with the production process.

as i thought as on my old gdr loader was .73 and new was .74 but wasnt ant xdifference as far as i could tell
    Forum Member
    previous post meant t say HDR lol..

and hmmm i have a recording scheduked for 7 tonite it has been off since i did the update, yet according to my network switch it has come to life now.... so wondering if lifens up well before the actual time the recording needs to b, will soon find out if goes back off at 7.30 or there abouts once prog finished

just looked and theres no sign life when looking at the box, not rec sign or any sign that its actually on, just the red light on the standby button
    Forum Member
    I left my Humax 1000S recording unattended and in standby for one month, it did not miss a single recording. I have settings of auto on/off and padding of 2 min start / 10 min end.
    Having said that I am not 100% happy with the box which is liberally scattered with bugs and stupid omissions, due I think to design by committee with no single overseeing responsibility. Hopefully, given the level of dissatisfaction being openly expressed on the Freesat forum, this will get fixed.

Hmm! I own a Panny DVDR which is now 3 years old and that just works and always has, never known a recording failure in all that time. It is a rarity for my Sky+HD to miss a recording too. I want a set and forget product not one where you have to add padding to recordings. A good efficient EPG. should take care of this.
    Forum Member
    wahay well the letters 'REC' are on the display so heres hoping its sorted, altho was onl;y off for approc 1.5 hrs, will know for sure when it records in the morning from being on standby overnight....

1 thing meant t ask, as have manually updated wi beta software, will it still auto update again when the software is released officially....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    1 thing meant t ask, as have manually updated wi beta software, will it still auto update again when the software is released officially....
    If an OTA update has the same version number as this manual download then the OTA update won't happen. If the next OTA version has a higher version number then it will update.
    Forum Member
    just as i thought c.h

and woop woop switched 1000s off last night at arount 11.45pm and had breakfast on BBC set to tape, and yup it taped so looks like the update has done the trick :D

will know for certain when come home from work as i have svheduled recordings on BBCone HD at 11am - 12.15
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    So am I correct to assume here that this update allows the box to record from standby? Or do we still have to set the timer to switch the box on before a recording?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimlfc wrote: »
    So am I correct to assume here that this update allows the box to record from standby? Or do we still have to set the timer to switch the box on before a recording?

Records from sby, so far everything appears to be recording as expected.