Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Connie, you're a doll! Love the pictures, him and the horses--doesn't get any better. He looks so fit and the Clydes do look like teenagers--so nice to see them at this stage of their development. And he and PB just look content. Am so happy all around. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    He was Chippy the crabman in this week's rewatch episode. I believe he appeared as Chippy/Chip and/or crabman in some other prior eps too. Not sure why he suddenly became Mr. Hubble. But that's OK.

Maybe his name is Chippy Hubble and he is a crabman ;)

I think he is called Mr Hubble by Martin who would of course refer to I'm as "Mr Hubble". To everyone else in town he is known as Chippy or the crabman. That's my theory. Will be interested to see what he is called in S6E1?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

I love the bit where Philippa anxiously asks him if it's quite safe to drive the cart and he says oh,yes, sure. Somehow that sounds like a typical interaction between them (as it would be for me and my husband).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I love the bit where Philippa anxiously asks him if it's quite safe to drive the cart and he says oh,yes, sure. Somehow that sounds like a typical interaction between them (as it would be for me and my husband).

Just a few observations. . .

Well, if driving his car full throttle has been taken off the agenda, seems like he's looking for other little thrills. But with 130 acres, I imagine he CAN actually drive on his own property.

You know, he stresses often how he is not competitive, but I actually think he is in his own way.

Interesting how he identifies with his Clydesdales "They're big and I'm big." "My boys" . . .

He refers to his age a lot.

Finally, IMO there's something wrong with the picture of him driving a metal cart around Dorset with that Aussie cowboy hat. Kind of like (for USers) when Michael Dukakis posed for that missile photo. Can't quite identify what the internal disconsonance is. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, it is back to doing research.
    I've found agreements about how screenwriters do their jobs and work with producers in the US. That led me to figuring that the UK must have similar rules, guidelines, etc. and indeed there are.
    I found this website for the writers guild: http://www.writersguild.org.uk/about-us/rates-agreements
    I found a document there that specifies all manner of things particular to writers and TV production:
    http://www.writersguild.org.uk/images/stories/wgggb-docs/ITV-WGGB-PMA-_final_with_appendices.pdf

I then found the ITV Commissioning webpage http://www.itv.com/commissioning/
    with a link for Producers' Guidelines at
    http://www.itv.com/commissioning/producers-guidelines/
    that has a long list of other documents relevant to productions of which
    http://www.itv.com/documents/pdf/ITV%20End%20Credit%20Rules.pdf
    explained the crediting guidelines.

After spending considerable time reading and scanning through these fascinating documents, I have a new real huge appreciation for what Philippa and Martin have to know to do their jobs as a production company!

Susie,
    Thank you so much for finding these.
    It is all incredibly detailed.
    ITV doesn't require someone to be credited unless they played a substantial part!

Very interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, if driving his car full throttle has been taken off the agenda, seems like he's looking for other little thrills. But with 130 acres, I imagine he CAN actually drive on his own property.

You know, he stresses often how he is not competitive, but I actually think he is in his own way.

Interesting how he identifies with his Clydesdales "They're big and I'm big." "My boys" . . .

He refers to his age a lot.

Finally, IMO there's something wrong with the picture of him driving a metal cart around Dorset with that Aussie cowboy hat. Kind of like (for USers) when Michael Dukakis posed for that missile photo. Can't quite identify what the internal disconsonance is. :confused:

Note that in the Sun article he mentions being "booted" in the head by one of his "boys" and in another recent article he talks about the mare he was riding getting panicky because her saddlecloth (?) was caught in a fence, and he had to throw himself over the fence to avoid injury. Also, when he was on TopGear, the comment was that he was an OK driver but incredibly fearless. Be careful out there, Martin Clunes! (In the U.S., I think it is not uncommon for actors to have clauses in their contracts about exposing themselves to danger.)

I agree about the hat -- dissonant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Susie,
    Thank you so much for finding these.
    It is all incredibly detailed.
    ITV doesn't require someone to be credited unless they played a substantial part!

Very interesting.

Your most welcome, cc.cookie. I always do love to try to get factual information when possible. Just a knowledge junkie, I guess.

And I did hope it would help answer some of the questions and other speculation we've had going on for quite a long while.
    Cheers!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The hat. Wonder about its origins. Do we know if he got it while in Australia doing his Man Who Lost His Head (New Zealand) movie or Men Down Under or Dogs documentary?

Or is it just a convenient hat with a broad brim he found somewhere that works particularly well to shade his fair skin when out and about on the farm?

Looking back at Buckham Fair photos, he wears the same or similar hat, but with a different hat band. The band has a possibly beaded Indian look which I wonder if it might be a souvenir from when he rode with the Sioux Indians in Horsepower here in the US.

Just my wonderings.....
    Source of my wonderings: My now slightly decrepit but wide flat brimmed straw hat that I bought out of a boating store in Portland and was made in Australia was the only one I had found that felt good on my head and that I use while gardening and doing other outdoor work.

Oh, and channeling LG: "I quite like ..." the hat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your most welcome, cc.cookie. I always do love to try to get factual information when possible. Just a knowledge junkie, I guess.

And I did hope it would help answer some of the questions and other speculation we've had going on for quite a long while.
    Cheers!:)

We have so many good questions for the producers, writers, directors, camera people, stand-ins. I wonder if there is a place we could assemble all of these questions and submit to PB after the next series airs (I'm sure they are way too busy right now and will be up to the airing). This would give us time to get some good succinct questions and see if we can get them to look at them and ask different people involved in the production to answer. I've got to believe we are their most rabid fans and maybe they would be willing to give us an insight into our favorite show. Perhaps one of our members could ask that question of MC or PB while in Port Isaac this spring/summer.

The reason I thought about this is that this morning I was looking at screen shots of the Christmas Special and the colors are so much more washed out than any of the regular episodes. I am so curious to know why?
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    YouTube clip of DCI Banks showing scenes with CC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItl_3KsOuM

Terrible music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    We have so many good questions for the producers, writers, directors, camera people, stand-ins. I wonder if there is a place we could assemble all of these questions and submit to PB after the next series airs (I'm sure they are way too busy right now and will be up to the airing). This would give us time to get some good succinct questions and see if we can get them to look at them and ask different people involved in the production to answer. I've got to believe we are their most rabid fans and maybe they would be willing to give us an insight into our favorite show. Perhaps one of our members could ask that question of MC or PB while in Port Isaac this spring/summer.

The reason I thought about this is that this morning I was looking at screen shots of the Christmas Special and the colors are so much more washed out than any of the regular episodes. I am so curious to know why?

Someone who actually knows something can tell you better than I can,but I heard MC (on his BBC Desert Isle disks interview) be very proud of the fact that DM was shot on film, one of the last shows that uses film. Other shows use video cameras (I think) and it does seem to me that the Christmas Special was shot with video camera rather than film. I may have got this slightly mixed up, but in any case, it's clear that a different technique was used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

Terrible music.

Indeed, it's horrible.

I notice that CC is wearing small earrings in this clip. I believe it is the case that in DM she is literally never seen wearing earrings. (is that right?) I wonder what that's in aid of?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Hi, RubiRedi, haven't seen you here in quite awhile. Good to see you here again.

Here's a question for you, as a long-term forum "oldie" from way back. I've noticed that a lot of the people who participated over the years, going back to the beginning, especially the old DM hands from the UK, haven't popped up here in quite a long time. Do you think when we get closer to S6 filming, or into S6 filming, they might return?

About Minghella, I know very little about him so I can't really comment. At his blog he does seem nice enough.

Hi Biffpup, Hope all is well with you and youre doing good :) Have you booked your trip yet???

I would think that the forum will get busier once S6 filming starts next month :eek: and you may see people who have been members of the forum for a long time (much longer than I have - Im a newbie compared to some of them!!!) pop in and out - I think there are a lot of members who lurk but choose not to contribute - but who knows!!! I also think that some people were dissappointed with S5 and think maybe the show has run its course - which may create some disinterest but again who knows - the show still seems to be as popular as ever.

About Dominic M (and I'll keep it short :D) yes I was meaning the success of his brother. I dont doubt that he's a (very) talented man but I also believe he gets too much credit for the creation and success of Doc M!!! I think there was a broad outline long before he even came aboard and OK he wrote most (maybe all??) of S1, 3 maybe 4 episodes of S2 (along with his sister)but as far as I can see he's not contributed anything since then (2005/06) and I would be very surprised if he had been involved even in outlining for the remaining series'. In fact was it not him who said he would never have the Doc & Louisa together?? Just my personal opinion - I may be wrong!! :)

You take care n be good x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    RubyRedi, welcome back to the forum! As a relative newbie - only on for the past year - as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier! And we do not always have to agree (I definitely disagree about Minghella.) How boring if we did. IMO the forum should not just be an echo chamber. What we have in common is we all love DM. Do stay engaged and thanks for adding to the conversation!

I agree!!! Well said :) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Terrible music.

Settled down to watch DCI Banks the other night and according the the info on my local cable channel I was going to see DCI Helen Morton. But, alas, they were wrong and I was sorely dissapointed. It really is quite a good program though so I hope it is so for CC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree about the hat -- dissonant.

Those ears were made for hats...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Terrible music.

Mmmmmmm. Louisa and Father Peter. I'll have to check those episodes out when they get to S2 on PBS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, dcdmfan, you called the Chippy the crabman thing before I did and I essentially just repeated what you said. Saw your post later.

Okay, so I see I even got my own correction wrong. Sorry, sorry, sorry (call me Mrs. Tishell!). It was dmbesotted who mentioned Chippy the crabman first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Maybe his name is Chippy Hubble and he is a crabman ;)

I think he is called Mr Hubble by Martin who would of course refer to I'm as "Mr Hubble". To everyone else in town he is known as Chippy or the crabman. That's my theory. Will be interested to see what he is called in S6E1?

Right, yes, that would explain it. I think your theory is correct.

Not sure why I didn't think of it myself. ;)
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll work on it when I get home. Its only 3PM here in Portland. I still have a couple of hour before I head home. Same for the new doc tomorrow. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Hi Biffpup, Hope all is well with you and youre doing good :) Have you booked your trip yet???

I would think that the forum will get busier once S6 filming starts next month :eek: and you may see people who have been members of the forum for a long time (much longer than I have - Im a newbie compared to some of them!!!) pop in and out - I think there are a lot of members who lurk but choose not to contribute - but who knows!!! I also think that some people were dissappointed with S5 and think maybe the show has run its course - which may create some disinterest but again who knows - the show still seems to be as popular as ever.

Good, I hope so. And I figure it'll be the UK fans who are most likely to get to Cornwall to fill us in on the filming.

As for me, no, trip isn't booked. I ran into some major home repairs (that sounds like I walked into a wall, doesn't it?) that left me broke, so things are iffy right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice photos! Thanks, umbrellagirl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Settled down to watch DCI Banks the other night and according the the info on my local cable channel I was going to see DCI Helen Morton. But, alas, they were wrong and I was sorely dissapointed. It really is quite a good program though so I hope it is so for CC.

I've spotted her in a some of the DCI Banks promos on the local PBS station here recently. No info on when her episodes will start to air. I think, unlike Doc Martin and like Downton Abbey, DCI Banks is a PBS "network" show and we're probably all seeing the same episodes at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.