Any reason not to buy a 30 quid Kobo?

BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never been that bothered about an e-reader, but at this price they are starting to get tempting.

Any reason not to buy a thirty quid Kobo?

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/kobo-mini-black-ereader/product/36144495

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Can't think of a reason not to
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is that the one you can hack to run Android (and perhaps more importantly Kindle app and Google play Books)?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    is that the one you can hack to run Android (and perhaps more importantly Kindle app and Google play Books)?

Not sure if you can with the Kobo or not - I know you can with the Nook.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one - bought it in the Spring when the £30 was supposed to be a special limited time price!

It's a nice little e-Reader, worth having a ply in the store first just to make sure you can read it comfortably and that you can navigate around.

I don't think it is easily hackable as it is not a full on tablet (has an E Ink screen), but you can load ebooks from several different sources (including a lot of local libraries) so there isn't a tie in to one store like you get with Kindle.

Have a look on the Kobo website and I'm sure you'll find some books that you'll like (they frequently do promos / competitions for money off certain books as well).

For £30 it's definitely worth a go - if you don't like it you can always sell it on.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Not sure if you can with the Kobo or not - I know you can with the Nook.

ah thats the one. For £50, root it and its an e-ink Android tablet...
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    ah thats the one. For £50, root it and its an e-ink Android tablet...

The nook simple touch for £29 can also be hacked but they are more difficult to get hold of.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought one for my wife I'll let you know.