Is it possible for your body to produce too much mucus?

fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
Forum Member
✭✭
About three to four weeks ago, I took a chest infection which I tried to just let run its course; however, just nearly a fortnight ago it really started to get the better of me, and after a couple of visits to the doctor, I was put on some antiboitics.

I have since finished the course of antibiotics (feel much better in myself), but still have one hell of a cough - to the point that I cough so hard I end up vomiting. Whereas before, I was actually coughing stuff up off my chest, now it is simply clear fluid (slightly thicker than saliva) that feels as though it is coming from the bottom of my throat/upper part of my chest. My chest and the bottom of my throat generally feels ticklish most of the time.

I bought a bottle of cough syrup yesterday, containing guaifenensen, which seems to help immensely, and a short while after taking it, I generally stop coughing for a few hours - trouble is, its about £4 a bottle, and a bottle only lasts a couple of days, so this is obviously not a long term solution.

If no better, I will obviously return to the doctor, but as I have little or no hope of an appointment before Wednesday, I thought I would ask the knowledgeable people of DS for their opinions.

Anyone got any idea what is going on, and what I can do to stop this?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (((FC))) I can't shift this cough/cold/whatever I have got either.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just know that the doctor is going to say its asthma when I go back again - I had this about four years ago, and ended up on two different inhalers. It was only when I went on holiday, and accidentally left one of the inhalers behind, that I twigged that it was making me worse instead of better. I had got to the point where I only used my ventolin inhaler once in blue (and tartan) moon - - that was of course, until I got this damned infection.

What are you taking for yours Linz? I really could do with something that will see me through the night instead of having to get up for more cough syrup.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just know that the doctor is going to say its asthma when I go back again - I had this about four years ago, and ended up on two different inhalers. It was only when I went on holiday, and accidentally left one of the inhalers behind, that I twigged that it was making me worse instead of better. I had got to the point where I only used my ventolin inhaler once in blue (and tartan) moon - - that was of course, until I got this damned infection.

What are you taking for yours Linz? I really could do with something that will see me through the night instead of having to get up for more cough syrup.

tbh, I haven't been taking anything:o

just taking cough mixture when it has been really bad an painkillers for the headaches.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Riccollo cough sweets from the herbal shops are brilliant. They won't do anything about your mucus though.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antihistamines help dry up mucus, though if the cough's making you retch maybe you need more production, not less?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Antihistamines help dry up mucus, though if the cough's making you retch maybe you need more production, not less?

I thought that, and that is why I went for the cough syrup that I did - it is supposed to be an expectorant; looking it up on Google, it seems to work by thinning the mucus out, thus making it easier to cough - but with me, it seems to almost stop me coughing all together :confused:
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from a long term medical condition and one of the symptoms is that I produce a lot of mucus. From my experiences I've found that cough medicines work short-term by repressing the coughing, but cough sweets have been more helpful. They help me cough it up, which is obviously good (better out than in!) and so the coughing subsides that way.

Have you ever had any trouble with your sinuses? My sinuses are unrelated to the cause of my condition but my doctor suggested that they might be making things worse, and after a week of taking Sudafed my symptoms were less severe.

The good news is that green or yellow mucus is a symptom of infection and clear is not, so it does sound like you're on the mend in that sense. I hope you feel better soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I woke up with a start early on this morning, and basically couldn't breathe - it was like I was literally choking on something, and when I was trying to breathe in, I couldn't get much air in at all - and when I was trying to breathe in, I was making a noise like a demented seal!

I must admit that it was very frightening at the time (and not just for me), yet I could do nothing but cough - Mrs C was poised to phone an ambulance, however I managed to cough up quite a bit of mucus/saliva and eventually get some air in - I also took some ventolin as soon as I could, and within ten minutes of it starting to settle, I was breathing normally; however, I was left with a King Size headache, and feeling totally drained and battered - and I felt this way for most of the morning, despite snoozing for a wee while (still don't feel exactly wonderful now).

I am going to have to ring the doctors tomorrow, and try to get an appointment, as I don't want a repeat performance of this morning, but any opinions or tips still gratefully received (particularly as my doctors aren't the best).

Oh, and the line of the day came from my four year old about half an hour after I started to breathe right again - she looked at me, a bit concerned, and said "Mummy can't paint the bathroom can she?" (I've been repairing some flood damage all week, and all that is left is some paint and new flooring to go down) - poor wee bugger must've thought I was about to pop my clogs! (mind you, its a bit concerning that I'd only be missed because the loo wasn't finished!) :D:D
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You had asthma four years ago? Then you probably have it now. Not every inhaler suits every person, just because the inhaler didn't help doesn't mean that you don't have asthma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    You had asthma four years ago? Then you probably have it now. Not every inhaler suits every person, just because the inhaler didn't help doesn't mean that you don't have asthma.

I agree that it is possible that I had asthma to one degree or another, however at the time when I was 'diagnosed' (I use the term loosely) I felt as though the doctor jumped to a conclusion just so she could give me a script and move onto the next patient; there was no method of testing (other than her listening to my chest) for her to arrive at the conclusion. Essentially, I had a bad chest infection, ended up at the docs a few times, and it was a course of Prednisolone (sp?) that finally got me sorted - because the Prednisolone was successful, the doc arrived at the conclusion that I was asthmatic and packed me off with a clutch of inhalers - the rest is history.

The thing that confuses me somewhat, is that the ventolin doesn't appear to be doing much (if anything) this time - with this morning being the exception. Could it be that the ventolin inhaler is as unsuitable for me as the other one was (Beclomethasone I think?)

I am really keen to get things sorted out, and if it means that I need to use an inhaler or two, then so be it - what I don't want to do is take them day in, day out and have them make me feel worse.