Les Miserables

Comments

• streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    I'm with Mystical123 on this - and although I'm a self confessed 'Les Mis nutter' it's not a case of blind enthusiasm. I love the film and can see it's weaknesses - and strengths. And Anne's performance is outstanding.

I'm not a "Les Mis nutter", but I know a wonderful performance when I see and hear it. :)
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Redmayne *swoon*

Gorgeous, he sung all his lines like an old Disney Prince Charming-type character. I thought the movie was good although it swung into melodrama a lot and many of the performances were too much emotion (I'm thinking Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman in particular did this). At times though it was breathtaking and I want to see it again.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so excited to see the cast perform live!!
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    Eddie Redmayne *swoon*

Gorgeous, he sung all his lines like an old Disney Prince Charming-type character. I thought the movie was good although it swung into melodrama a lot and many of the performances were too much emotion (I'm thinking Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman in particular did this). At times though it was breathtaking and I want to see it again.

Damn! I knew I should have copyrighted Eddie Redmayne lust. :mad:

His is mine, mine, mine, all mine I tell ya!

:p

His girlfriend has a different view and a restraining order against me to prove it! :D
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! I knew I should have copyrighted Eddie Redmayne lust. :mad:

His is mine, mine, mine, all mine I tell ya!

:p

His girlfriend has a different view and a restraining order against me to prove it! :D

Can I just join in on the Eddie fangirling? :D I've loved him ever since I seen him in My Week With Marilyn, and I've proceeded to watch everything he's ever been in...:o

Going to see it (for the 2nd time) at 7 tonight...actually so excited:D
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's your opinion, I certainly feel it gives far more insight into the characters (Javert excepted, but that's Crowe's fault) than the stage show (which I love as well). And Anne Hathaway is every bit as good as Carol Reed was in Oliver.

QUOTE]

Carol Reed is the director of Oliver (and uncle to Oliver, so happened to give him the part of Bill Sykes...) Think you may mean Shani Wallis????? Unless Anne directed Les Miz ;)
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowyface wrote: »
    Can I just join in on the Eddie fangirling? :D I've loved him ever since I seen him in My Week With Marilyn, and I've proceeded to watch everything he's ever been in...:o

Going to see it (for the 2nd time) at 7 tonight...actually so excited:D

The first time I saw him was playing Angel in the BBC's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. He played the character really well and it helps that he is so easy on the eye.

I have just ordered Pillars of the Earth, partly because I saw he was in it.:o (its on sale now on amazon)
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    The first time I saw him was playing Angel in the BBC's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. He played the character really well and it helps that he is so easy on the eye.

I have just ordered Pillars of the Earth, partly because I saw he was in it.:o (its on sale now on amazon)

You'll enjoy that! It's where I first noticed him - I saw Tess, but didn't really register him. Then when he was in Pillars I thought he had something about him. It was Songbird where I really sat up and took notice. Seriously, Pillars of the Earth is really good and the Rufus Sewell is yummy in it too:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o Never heard of Eddie before, but thought he was outstanding.

Off to order Pillars of The Earth now, thanks for the recommendation. :)

I also thought Aaron Tveit was fantastic. I didn't realise they'd changed his appearance so drastically.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Samantha barks is in the oliver tour at the moment so that is why she wasent at the goldern gloves

Thanks, I knew she was in the Oliver tour but wondered why she hadn't been given a couple of days off to go to the Golden Globes - it was a comment on her twitter that made me think she may have been forgotten about. But then I found that article about the Oscars :)
    Ambrose wrote: »
    I think you are allowing your enthusiasm to run away with you there ;)

I think I'm allowing myself to have my own opinion, actually, is that a problem? :rolleyes:
    Suze wrote: »
    I'm with Mystical123 on this - and although I'm a self confessed 'Les Mis nutter' it's not a case of blind enthusiasm. I love the film and can see it's weaknesses - and strengths. And Anne's performance is outstanding.

Exactly :) For what it's worth, I saw the film again today and my criticisms and highlights remain much the same, though Sam Barks' performance stood out even more as a highlight second time round and I liked Aaron Tveit's performance more than I did on first viewing. I still think Anne was outstanding.

Gellymiss wrote: »
    Carol Reed is the director of Oliver (and uncle to Oliver, so happened to give him the part of Bill Sykes...) Think you may mean Shani Wallis????? Unless Anne directed Les Miz ;)

Sorry, it was a previous poster who used the name, I have no idea who played Nancy in Oliver so just assumed the name was correct without checking. My bad :o

The comparison between whoever played Nancy in the Oliver movie and Anne Hathaway still stands though, I think Anne is every bit as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackman, Redmayne, Barks and Hathaway might do a medley live for the Oscars. Please musical gods make this happen.

http://jezebel.com/5977145/hathaway-jackman-and-redmayne-might-do-their-les-mis-thing-live-at-the-oscars?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Has anyone seen this parody? Very Funny :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rum_Jr_Yo
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I knew she was in the Oliver tour but wondered why she hadn't been given a couple of days off to go to the Golden Globes - it was a comment on her twitter that made me think she may have been forgotten about. But then I found that article about the Oscars :

Cameron Mackintosh's a producer of the Oliver! tour so it's possible she had to do the remainder of the dates, I know she's been allowed to leave the tour early to attend the
    Oscars.
    Diorelli wrote: »

Has anyone seen this parody? Very Funny :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rum_Jr_Yo

That's from Forbidden Broadway which has quite a few very funny Les Mis parodies like Scars which is a pisstake of Stars and Bring it Down which spoofs the fact of high Bring Him Home is.
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ive seen this. Before you wonder why i went to see this film, my gf wanted to watch it. I had no idea what it was about but only that it was a musical so basically i expected a movie with a few songs in it. What transpired was me sitting there for 3 hrs wondering when they were going to stop singing and get on with the film. Had no idea they were going to sing every line lol, so i couldnt take the film seriously. I found it boring and because of the constant singing very annoying

Its a shame though cause the first ten seconds i was like woah this is gonna be good, then he started singing and never stopped. My gf was crying, but she wasnt the only one, i could see the ppl in front of us crying there eyes out lol for whatever reason, there was nothing to cry at.

If i hadnt had my gf with me id have left within 20 minutes max.
    I think i wouldve enjoyed the film if they had actually spoke though

I shouldve just stuck to my guns and watched django unchained, a proper film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diorelli wrote: »
    Jackman, Redmayne, Barks and Hathaway might do a medley live for the Oscars. Please musical gods make this happen.

http://jezebel.com/5977145/hathaway-jackman-and-redmayne-might-do-their-les-mis-thing-live-at-the-oscars?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I posted another article about this on the last page - looks like it's going to be either a medley of the solos or a couple of ensemble numbers like One Day More and Do You Hear the People Sing :)
    i could see the ppl in front of us crying there eyes out lol for whatever reason, there was nothing to cry at.

There may have been nothing to cry at in your opinion, but in plenty of others' opinions there clearly was, doesn't make them wrong.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but you can't just state that it's not a proper film like that's a fact, when there's no such thing as a 'proper film' except that they're all recorded on camera! Musicals are quite often sung-through, I really find it hard to understand why people are so surprised at the amount of singing! It's easy to find out from a quick google search that that what you're going to watch is entirely sung.

I personally wouldn't go to the cinema without finding out a little bit about what I'm seeing, but I guess that's personal preference as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I saw it again last night for the 3rd time. (I'm sick, I know.)

All I can say is this; That once I knew what was coming, and the differences to expect between the stage production and the film, I now think I love the film every bit as much as the stage show. What they have managed to do is simply incredible, and the more you see it, the more you appreciate each individual performance. For example, Russell Crowe's Stars was not as weak as I previously thought. He's done his own version of it - and I think he does it beautifully. Not as powerful as the stage show - but he isn't singing "to the back row" in this rendition, and it's more of his own personal plea to God, asking for his help to find him.

I still think that Master of the House could have been better, but that's not Cohen at fault here. I thought the delivery of Carter's lines - who had some of the funniest, were not with enough punch, and so that's where it was let down somewhat.

And if I had never seen Colm Wilkinson or Alfie Boe sing "Bring Him Home," I would never had complained about Hugh Jackman's rendition, but when you consider what an amazing feat he achieved throughout the film, I now appreciate his version a lot more than I did first time round.

This film is amazing. It's so spectacular and epic, and quite frankly, I could listen to and watch it all day.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok ive seen this. Before you wonder why i went to see this film, my gf wanted to watch it. I had no idea what it was about but only that it was a musical so basically i expected a movie with a few songs in it. What transpired was me sitting there for 3 hrs wondering when they were going to stop singing and get on with the film. Had no idea they were going to sing every line lol, so i couldnt take the film seriously. I found it boring and because of the constant singing very annoying

Its a shame though cause the first ten seconds i was like woah this is gonna be good, then he started singing and never stopped. My gf was crying, but she wasnt the only one, i could see the ppl in front of us crying there eyes out lol for whatever reason, there was nothing to cry at.

If i hadnt had my gf with me id have left within 20 minutes max.
    I think i wouldve enjoyed the film if they had actually spoke though

I shouldve just stuck to my guns and watched django unchained, a proper film

I pity your girlfriend. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hi all, new to this forum and just thought I'd add my comments about this film.

I love musical theatre and travel to London whenever I can afford it so have seen quite a few shows, but never Les Mis, although I am familiar with most of the songs. I saw the film last week and loved it, though I can recognise that some of the performers had weaker voices than could be expected (particularly Russell Crowe). I'm not ashamed to admit I cried, along with half the cinema, both at Anne Hathaway's superb performance and at the end.

I am glad I saw the film before the show (I am going to see it in London during the Feb half term) as I think I would have been more disappointed with some of the performances than I was if I'd done it the other way round. Would definitely recommend the film to anyone though, and would go watch again tomorrow if it wouldn't mean going out in the snow!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    All I can say is this; That once I knew what was coming, and the differences to expect between the stage production and the film, I now think I love the film every bit as much as the stage show. What they have managed to do is simply incredible, and the more you see it, the more you appreciate each individual performance.

I've seen it twice now and I definitely agree with that. I love the stage show, but the movie does do it justice :)

For example, Russell Crowe's Stars was not as weak as I previously thought. He's done his own version of it - and I think he does it beautifully. Not as powerful as the stage show - but he isn't singing "to the back row" in this rendition, and it's more of his own personal plea to God, asking for his help to find him.

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I found Russell to be just as bad 2nd time around, and Stars still out of tune and soulless - there was no acting at all. Part of it was slightly better if I closed my eyes and didn't watch his (lack of) acting while he was singing, but that's not the point. And the Solliloquy still didn't have any impact either. He's the one person who didn't improve on repeat viewing for me sadly.
    I still think that Master of the House could have been better, but that's not Cohen at fault here. I thought the delivery of Carter's lines - who had some of the funniest, were not with enough punch, and so that's where it was let down somewhat.

Yes, I agree with you there. Carter can't sing particularly well either so some of the impact was lost there, but she did make some odd choices in how she delivered her lines. Some of them were great though, it was just too much of a mixed bag.

And if I had never seen Colm Wilkinson or Alfie Boe sing "Bring Him Home," I would never had complained about Hugh Jackman's rendition, but when you consider what an amazing feat he achieved throughout the film, I now appreciate his version a lot more than I did first time round

Again, my opinion on Bring Him Home didn't change 2nd time round. No matter how great Hugh Jackman was during the rest of the movie (and he was, for the most part, brilliant), I can't forgive the mess he made of BHH. It was just completely incongruous to the context, he was shouting when he's supposed to be saying a prayer in the eerie calm before the storm. Not good at all, and he didn't even sing it particularly well either. A huge let-down in what otherwise definitely was an Oscar-nomination worthy performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it twice now and I definitely agree with that. I love the stage show, but the movie does do it justice :)

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I found Russell to be just as bad 2nd time around, and Stars still out of tune and soulless - there was no acting at all. Part of it was slightly better if I closed my eyes and didn't watch his (lack of) acting while he was singing, but that's not the point. And the Solliloquy still didn't have any impact either. He's the one person who didn't improve on repeat viewing for me sadly.

Yes, I agree with you there. Carter can't sing particularly well either so some of the impact was lost there, but she did make some odd choices in how she delivered her lines. Some of them were great though, it was just too much of a mixed bag.

Again, my opinion on Bring Him Home didn't change 2nd time round. No matter how great Hugh Jackman was during the rest of the movie (and he was, for the most part, brilliant), I can't forgive the mess he made of BHH. It was just completely incongruous to the context, he was shouting when he's supposed to be saying a prayer in the eerie calm before the storm. Not good at all, and he didn't even sing it particularly well either. A huge let-down in what otherwise definitely was an Oscar-nomination worthy performance.
    I love your posts Mystical123 (:p basically because I agree with you on everything). I've seen the film 5 times now and love it more and more, but I've got to admit Stars and Bring Him Home were the only two I wish they'd prerecorded. They're both iconic and Hugh has a fabulous voice ( will never deliver like Colm or Alfie Boe, though) which could have done marvels for the song.
    Russell's growing on me. I never realised Victor Hugo based him on a real person who had two sides to his personality, so JVJ became one side, Javert the other.
    I also appreciate the bringing in from the book what a change Valjean and Cosette each found someone to love. having never known any love before. It rounded out the story more.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I think I'm allowing myself to have my own opinion, actually, is that a problem? :rolleyes:

I wasn't criticising your opinion. I was amused by your mistake about Carol Reed and was gently drawing attention to it. I thought the use of the 'wink' would have indicated that my comment was meant in a light-hearted way.
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    I pity your girlfriend. :D

I took her and paid for the film, dont pity her pity me who had to sit through the whole of that movie.

They should use this movie as a way of finding out information from held prisoners, its a form of torture
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took her and paid for the film, dont pity her pity me who had to sit through the whole of that movie.

They should use this movie as a way of finding out information from held prisoners, its a form of torture

Strange isn't it? We can suspend disbelief when we watch a film about superheros with superpowers. We can suspend disbelief when we see werewolf and vampires, and yet when we are presented with a fantasy world of people communicating with songs, we find it annoying! :D

I've just watched Les Mis film adaptation, and I liked it on the whole. I am one of those who was wowed by Anne's performance of I Dreamed a Dream but I fear if I watch it a few more times it might start to grate on me.

Funny how the two real and present broadway actors (Sam Barks and Aaron Tveit) received so little exposure at the premieres and interviews on youtube (Sam more than Aaron to be fair).

Russell is an abomination. Yes, he can hold a tune, but he CANNOT emote with his voice, so if I close my eyes, I wouldn't know if he's angry, sad, exicted or what. He could be pooping or cooking and I will still hear the same humdrum delivery/rendition.

I liked the lyrics addition and change to the original musical. It made the normally wet Cosette (adult version) a little more acceptable. The bit where she sang how her heart was broken when her father Jean left her mysteriously. I thought using the reprise of the melody of Suddenly to sing a duet between Cosette and Marius was a master stroke of genius. It's what, one minute song, and suddenly Cosette doesn't look like a selfish airhead that the musical seemed to portray (unwittingly).

I liked Hugh, but towards the end, his constant vibratto started to grate on me. His duet with Eddie towards the end is a prime example. Eddie gave a understated but beautiful conversation-like singing, while he almost yelp and wail and yelping and wailing is NOT necessary. He should be weary, ashamed and contrite by then, not shouty 'Who am I? Who am I?' It's almost as if he's barking, or maybe he's trying to steal Eddie's thunder???

Otherwise, Hugh did a good enough job.

Anne is sure to win the best supporting actress for Oscars. I suspect Hugh will NOT win the best actor award for the Oscars.

edit: I find Colm's bishop very annoying. He sings like he's an old bishop with those deep vibratto (which is fine), and then when he spoke (as when he did the prayer before meal), he had this nasal 'I don't care' style of speech delivery. And then when he started to sing later again to Jean about becoming an honest man (well, when he tried so hard to layer his voice with what he thought was 'gravitas', he almost made it sound like he's singing 'lawless man' instead!!!) I wanted to slap him. Though I did like the passing on the light as a symbol of the original Valjean to the film version of Valjean. I liked it also that they showed Jean never sold the candle stands, as the pair remained by his bedside, and towards the end when he was dying in the convent church, they were there as well. It's like the symbol of his conversion remained with him till his death. I liked this kind of detail that Hooper added to the film...
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder: Eddie Redmayne is on the Jonathon Woss show tonight!

I shall be recording it as I'm actually watching Les Mis after splash. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambrose wrote: »
    I wasn't criticising your opinion. I was amused by your mistake about Carol Reed and was gently drawing attention to it. I thought the use of the 'wink' would have indicated that my comment was meant in a light-hearted way.

Sorry :o I was unaware I'd made a mistake as I was just copying the name from a previous poster as I didn't know it myself (and just assumed it was correct), hence why I didn't realise your comment was referring to that.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this last week and absolutely adored it. I was quite worried before seeing it as there was so much hype about it I was scared it wouldn’t live up to expectations, it’s my favourite stage musical and so had I hated it I would have been devastated! It definitely didn’t disappoint though.

Loved all the cast. Been a fan of Hugh since I saw him in Oklahoma and so it was great to see him in another musical. Like a lot of people have said I didn’t love his Bring Him Home as I have been spoilt with so many beautiful versions in the past but his versions of everything else and his acting more than made up for that. You could totally believe his Valjean. I liked Russell Crowe’s Javert, he’s no Philip Quast singing wise but he acted it well and his singing is growing on me! Anne Hathaway – amazing. I pretty much cried through every scene she was in. It was great to see some west end theatre peeps in the film too – Killian Donnelly, Hadley Fraser et al. Great stuff.

Really want to watch it again as there was so much to take in. There were a few new bits that I liked that aren’t in the musical - Javert making Valjean pick the flag up at the beginning as it made the runaway cart bit clearer. I imagine the film is a lot easier to follow than the musical for first timers. Loved the final battle, the barricade boys banging on the doors was heart breaking. Glad they kept the enjolras death position (?!) in although nothing can beat that reveal than the stage version with the music. So moving. The epilogue was beautiful. I sobbed! Lovely touch with the bishop being there.

It’s so good to read the film getting so many positive reviews. I guess it will boost ticket sales for the show and mean that won’t be closing any time soon!

Has anyone read the book? I have had it years but never managed to find the motivation to read it. Think it’s about time I gave it a try.