The Sky at Night - Monday 7 Jan 2013, BBC1

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I don't dislike Brian May but why is anyone considering his as main presenter?

Yes, he's knowledgable and qualified in astronomy but he's only ever been a guest on SaN. I'm pleased to hear he was a close friend to Sir Patrick and generous personally to him but he's surely not TV presenter material unless all the better-qualified, 'usual crew' are unavailable or bypassed by some BBC numpty who knows nothing about astronomy or science - and not much about broadcasting to a brighter, more discerning portion of the viewing public!

We don't need a 'celeb' (if B May counts) we need competence and someone who can retain viewers interest without being a distraction (though I'd make an exception and allow myself to be distracted by Lucie Green).

Chris Lintott doesn't match up to Sir Patrick in the 'enthusing the viewer' stakes but who could? Surely, he's the obvious replacement, possibly sharing with Paul and Pete and Chris N.

I think people are being a little unkind to Chris, he's not a TV presenter he's a scientist and I think he does a good job of presenting, I think it's a job he could grow into. Paul Abel is more like Patrick being slighty eccentric at times (and his love of old technology like drawing!) and of course Pete is the real amateur.

I think if Chris tried to be like Patrick it just wouldn't work, but on the other hand they don't need to bring in someone just to over egg things as that would be tiresome.

I think personally if they made Chris the main presenter but perhaps bought in Lucie Green or Heather Couper as well that would be fine.

My main issue is with the BBC trying to cancel the show.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Brian Cox as the presenter, as with Brian May I'm not sure his schedule would allow it not unless they kept the current format of Chris, Pete and Paul to do most of the fill in stuff.
  • Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I didn't have a problem with the time it went out last night, just that the BBC failed to mention that it was his last ever show (you think that might have been worth a mention at the very least) even though he was only in it for a few moments.

Maybe not in all regions but they did on the national BBC1 ( it's on the recording I made )
    Forum Member
    Spdub2 wrote: »
    Maybe not in all regions but they did on the national BBC1 ( it's on the recording I made )

Yes they said that at the start, but it might have been nice to perhaps mention it in the early evening news at the end as one of those "and finally" pieces.
  • .Janet..Janet. Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I don't think this has been posted on this thread yet, but BBC 4 have a "Sky At Night" night on Sun 13 Jan from 7pm to 10pm.

It seems to be a mix of old episodes and specials. www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2013/01/13
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the last few years tsan had regular weekly presenters who contributed more than sir patrick. i can see no reason why the show cannot continue with just these.

peter and paul, dr chris and other chris. they have a great mix of amateur and proff, with stuffiness and a dash of eccentricity. i can see sir patrick was a combnation of all four of them.

brian may would be a worthy contributor.

however i do not want to see brian cox. i see he is starting a natural history programme on the bbc now. how ridiculous. i get he is a decent physicist but that has nothing to do with biology.

are the bbc stupid?
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    I think Allan Chapman would have been a good shout;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_L1BvUGvg

He's got the credentials, and has guested on the programme on a number of occasions. However, I think his health is in question. Anyone who has heard him recently will have noticed a deterioration in his speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg88XvOZOEw
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL It's frightening that that could come true!

Only if Claudia Winkleman is unavailable! :D
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can anyone think the possible end of Sir Patrick's tenure wasn't foreseen by the controllers and other 'powers'? Of course they knew it was going to happen, and soon, just not 'when'.

The first question is whether to continue or end it. We all hope the it goes on but the decision will be down to some media studies graduate of the 1990s with no knowledge or interest in science matters and zero understanding of how much it matters. They'll look at the viewing figures, the cost and may consider the bigger picture including the BBC's public service remit - but mostly the first two.

Assuming it's allowed to continue on similar basis, the decision of who becomes the New Face of SaN is between the current apprentices, not somone else who may have been a past guest. Lintott was clearly being groomed for the position and will be ably supported by the others who have all done sterling work. One or other Brian may turn up from time to time but the central job is most likely to be Chris Lintott, possibly sharing it with some mix of the other three.

....If it's allowed to continue.

If a BBC media studies numpty wants to run it into the ground and trample on Sir Patrick's legacy, they'll either put someone more "media-friendly" (Hammond? a Blue Peter presenter? a non-science but personable and attractive young woman?) or else scrap it but pretend they're continuing within the One Show or other similar brain-dead vehicle and consign it to history.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a BBC media studies numpty wants to run it into the ground and trample on Sir Patrick's legacy, they'll either put someone more "media-friendly" (Hammond?

An horrific but all too plausible scenario.

Would they think of Jon Culshaw.......?
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

...or Jonathan Ross :) luckily he's over at ITV now.

It may well be they allow the show to run for a while with the current crew + Lucie Green (if she wants to be more involved) to see how things go.

I think most regulars of SAN would be happy with Chris and the rest of the current team, it may well be the BBC will take stock after a few months. If the production costs are kept low, the BBC may well not touch it. I do suspect if they did try to scrap it or 'youffanize' it there would be a bit of a scrap in the press. The BBC has enough problems on its hands at the moment to pick a fight it doesn't need to.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can anyone think the possible end of Sir Patrick's tenure wasn't foreseen by the controllers and other 'powers'? .

.. because we are talking about the BBC.

I think Brian will add to the SaN more than Chris. That is not to say Chris would not make a good presenter, I think he would, but Brian has the x-factor!

,,,,,only joking, I think Brian has qualities that would appeal to more of the audience without dumbing down in the slightest. Of course it comes down to taste, but Brian ticks all the important boxes for me (as long as has presenting skills).
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member

Actually, that's not a bad idea since Jon Culshaw really does have a long standing interest in astronomy so him fronting the show would probably help to ensure that the Sky at Night wasn't dumbed down into inanity and moron-ness :eek:.

That said, it's perhaps more likely that either Chris Lintott or Brian May would take over the main presenter role although I hope that Jon Culshaw can still make appearances from time to time.

I've kept a look out for news articles about the BBC cancelling the Sky at Night but, fortunately, nothing's turned up and the main Sky at Night presenters and guests haven't mentioned anything in their twitter feeds either so I think it's going to continue. As a short monthly programme, it can't be that expensive to produce anyway.

Finally, here's one of Sir Patrick's own favourite sketches - enjoy :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3bb-4URRHI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brian May and Brian Cox are on "stargazing live" tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, that's not a bad idea since Jon Culshaw really does have a long standing interest in astronomy so him fronting the show would probably help to ensure that the Sky at Night wasn't dumbed down into inanity and moron-ness :eek:.

That said, it's perhaps more likely that either Chris Lintott or Brian May would take over the main presenter role although I hope that Jon Culshaw can still make appearances from time to time.

I've kept a look out for news articles about the BBC cancelling the Sky at Night but, fortunately, nothing's turned up and the main Sky at Night presenters and guests haven't mentioned anything in their twitter feeds either so I think it's going to continue. As a short monthly programme, it can't be that expensive to produce anyway.

Finally, here's one of Sir Patrick's own favourite sketches - enjoy :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3bb-4URRHI
    I agree it would be nice to keep all the existing presenters, but we don't want to saddle the new production with Patrick's baggage. Sometimes a fresh start is required, although NOT at the expense of dumbing down trying to (incorrectly) appeal to the youth by employing celebs.

They shouldn't be even considering cancelling the show , if anything they should be increasing the output. Take for instance "stargazing live". Why ever not "the sky at night live" (I know its a independent production company). The BBC could have market the SoN to something more than a late night monthly show, make it a franchise.
    Forum Member
    Yes they said that at the start, but it might have been nice to perhaps mention it in the early evening news at the end as one of those "and finally" pieces.

But you said that they made no mention of it being his last show when they did.

Now you are moving the goalposts when someone points they did .

Apparently you just wanted to criticise the BBC for no reason .
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    .. because we are talking about the BBC.

I think Brian will add to the SaN more than Chris. That is not to say Chris would not make a good presenter, I think he would, but Brian has the x-factor!

,,,,,only joking, I think Brian has qualities that would appeal to more of the audience without dumbing down in the slightest. Of course it comes down to taste, but Brian ticks all the important boxes for me (as long as has presenting skills).

I think people have to be careful not to exaggerate its appeal. if someone at the BBC gets the idea that they are going to attract bigger audiences by bringing in someone well known and throwing money at it then they could be disappointed and it end up cancelled. If they can keep steady, if low, figures then it might have a chance of continuing.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    in the last few years tsan had regular weekly presenters who contributed more than sir patrick. i can see no reason why the show cannot continue with just these.

peter and paul, dr chris and other chris. they have a great mix of amateur and proff, with stuffiness and a dash of eccentricity. i can see sir patrick was a combnation of all four of them.

brian may would be a worthy contributor.

however i do not want to see brian cox. i see he is starting a natural history programme on the bbc now. how ridiculous. i get he is a decent physicist but that has nothing to do with biology.

are the bbc stupid?

IMO that is the answer.....a mix of presenters from different backgrounds. Sir P had such stature that he is irreplacable by just one person. It is a science programme, it does not need fancy links,etc.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on Iplayer. God how sad! :cry:

I'v watched it since I was a small boy in the 70's and it's almost as if as others have said lot an old friend. If the BBC axe it they deserve to be shut down. It would be a crime.

R.I.P Sir Patrick :(

Ken
    Forum Member
    Spdub2 wrote: »
    But you said that they made no mention of it being his last show when they did.

Now you are moving the goalposts when someone points they did .

Apparently you just wanted to criticise the BBC for no reason .

I didn't see them mention it on the news, if they did then I stand corrected. However, all I heard was the announcer mention it as he introduced the programme. To the best of my knowledge it was not mentioned in the news itself.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing the clip on You Tube of Brian May and Patrick Moore talking in 1999, before they were Sir Patrick and Dr.May, just made me realise he is the logical filler of Sir Patrick's shoes, especially after Sir Patrick himself said to Brian that he was more qualified than himself, which Brian May humbly disagreed with. Brian May has his own unique, likeable, intelligent and high profile personality that is just perfect, yet nothing like Sir Patrick himself. It would never surprise me if he were to even do the programme for the sheer love of it. After all, when you have tens of millions in the bank, any pay cheque is barely going to register from the BBC.

Mentions of others, including a name I was just waiting for in dumbed down BBC land, Richard Hammond. But one of the most dumbed down pieces I saw in the past year one evening on BBC2 at 10pm was by his TV compatriot James May, who did a programme about the universe that would have been too juvenile for some Blue Peter kids years ago, yet presented as an adult show called Things You Need To Know About...The Universe. It was an insult to a child, never mind an adult, so dumbed down and pathetic it was presented and shown as.
    Forum Member
    I didn't see them mention it on the news, if they did then I stand corrected. However, all I heard was the announcer mention it as he introduced the programme. To the best of my knowledge it was not mentioned in the news itself.

What's the news got to do with it ? No mention of it in your original post .

Are you going to now say that BBC Radio didn't mention it either because there was no mention of that in your original post .

You just said the BBC didn't mention it but they did
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member

Actually, Jon was another of the "celebrity" names that flittered through my mind too.

Sadly, have to agree about Chris not really having the "X" factor that Brian May does, and I'm sorry, but the other 2 newish regulars sort of remind me of an outing of the cast of "The Big Bang Theory".
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why that would be a bad thing. For some years the Sky At Night has looked pretty dusty, and maybe an injection of fresh talent and a new slot on BBC3 may rejuvenate it for the next generation. And it wouldn't hurt for it to have a female presenting it - Stacey Dooley perhaps?

Initially, I thought "who is she?" - then I saw the Magaluf thread .....
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    may i add 'not dara obrain' to the list?
    please just leave the presenters as they are
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    At a recent local astronomical meeting the speaker editor of a magazine when asked stated that he had asked bbc if the programme was continuing and they were lukewarm.
    I feel there is a real danger we could lose this unless somehow the public could be made aware of this threat of closure.
    I've no idea how that could be done.