Do you think Meryl Streep should've at least got one or two more Oscars?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Meryl Streep has been nominated for a record 17 times at the Academy Awards male or female winning 3 of them for Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), Sophie's Choice (1982) and The Iron Lady (2011). Of the movies that Meryl has been nominated for an Academy Award what movies should she have won for?

The Deer Hunter (1978)
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)
Silkwood (1983)
Out of Africa (1985)
Ironweed (1987)
A Cry in the Dark (1988)
Postcards from the Edge (1990)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
One True Thing (1998)
Music of the Heart (1999)
Adaptation. (2002)
The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
Doubt (2008)
Julie & Julia (2009)

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a huge Meryl fan but her performance in Kramer Vs Kramer is actually her poorest performance to date. She played a terribly unlikeable character and I found Streep failed miserably to evoke emotion in the courtroom scenes.

Her biggest oscar snub was for The Hours, her performance in that film actually made me bawl my eyes out. It was so beautiful.

I loved her performance in The Iron Lady, but would of rather her third oscar had gone to Julie and Julia (you missed that out) or The Devil Wears Prada. If Sandra Bullock hadn't been up for The Blind Side, Meryl would likely have won anyway.

I hope Meryl wins a fourth oscar at some point, as she deserves to be equal along Katherine Hepburn, whose career is rather similar to Meryl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved her performance in The Iron Lady, but would of rather her third oscar had gone to Julie and Julia (you missed that out) or The Devil Wears Prada. If Sandra Bullock hadn't been up for The Blind Side, Meryl would likely have won anyway.

I did mention Julie and Julia. Read again
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies. My eye sight is appalling lately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely. She is a chameleon, the best and rarest type of actor. She becomes the character she plays down to the slightest intonation.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Meryl is still going strong . There's every chance she will win more Oscars. I hope she surpasses Katherine Hepburns's record.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chances are she'll be back next year with August: Osage County. Obviously, no one has seen it yet but a nomination is very likely, especially with the calibre of the director and her co-stars.

Oh, and did I mention it has the support of a new, up and coming, unassuming Hollywood executive that goes by the name of Harvey Weinstein? :D
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh our dear harvey..
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think she even deserved some of those nominations in the first place. The win for The Iron Lady was more to do with how long it had been since The Academy last awarded her rather than the actual performance. Her performance as Margaret Thatcher was really nothing more than another Oscar bait role which Meryl has become far too fond of in the last decade. She should have won for Silkwood in 1985.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Silkwood .... what a film! what a role! She deserved an Oscar for that performance.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should never have won for Kramer vs Kramer & I never cared for her in The Deer Hunter but loved her in almost every other role I've seen her in. I didn't like Sophie's Choice but thought she was great in it
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,413
    Forum Member
    Do you think Meryl Streep should've at least got one or two more Oscars?

That's one way of looking at it but on the other hand she's got 3 Oscars, 17 Oscar nominations, 8 Golden Globe Awards and 2 BAFTA Awards. When considered altogether, I think that's a pretty good record and I'd say that there are more deserving "under recognition" cases if you see what I mean.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    No ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, hideously overrated actress.

When she is good, shes good, but never great. When she is bad, she is awful and on extremely rare occasions when she gets a role which suits her, she can be exceptional.

The Iron Lady was a terrible film, it was wretched beyond belief, historically inaccurate and sexed up to make money. While she was a convincing Thatcher, it was not the most challenging of roles and definitely not deserving of any award.

I still think one of her best roles was The Devil Wears Prada, but the film was otherwise the usual chunder inducing feel good crap from the Hollywood grinder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go that far^
    I think she is a great actress but it amazes me how she can get so many nominations.
    Nicole Kidman i rate very high & look how many times she has been snubbed!
    Glenn Close is another example & Sigourney Weaver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    & Julianne Moore. She has been snubbed & like Glenn & Sigourney never won.