Is 500MB data enough per month?

Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
Forum Member
i have got a new contract with o2 this week on the HTC sensation XE.
i am used to 'unlimited' data, but with this contract i get 500mb. is this enough? and do you get a warning when the useage is nearing 500mb?
i only really browse webpages and and use messaging services such as 'whatsapp' and 'ping' with the 3G, i rarely watch youtube or download music. will 500mb be sufficient?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Your should get a warning text before you reach your limit on O2.
    If you dont use any streaming sites, No Skype calls or similar services & only browse sites for information only, twitter/facebook & emails, the 500MB for most people is Ok.
  • Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    i have got a new contract with o2 this week on the HTC sensation XE.
    i am used to 'unlimited' data, but with this contract i get 500mb. is this enough? and do you get a warning when the useage is nearing 500mb?
    i only really browse webpages and and use messaging services such as 'whatsapp' and 'ping' with the 3G, i rarely watch youtube or download music. will 500mb be sufficient?

Given your usage, 500MB will be more than enough.

When you have used 80% of your allowance, o2 send a text telling you and giving you the option of buying a further bolt on, or when you exceed your allowance, they slow your speed right down.

Also you can check your data allowance on your online billing.
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must hand picked the £6 All Rounder bundle. There is a higher bundle for £10/month which gives 1GB and 50 MMS messages if you feel you need more.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Personally it is not enough for me. I hate the fact they have done this and its just another way to get more money out of you.

With 02 if you go over your 500mb they then throttle the speed so you can still use it but it moves slow.... oh so slow. But its better than giving them more money.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting through about 6gb on 3's one plan. Its quite amazing really how much of a smartphone is removed from the consumer by data allowances. To the point I am starting to question myself that if my data was limited if I would even bother having anything more than a voice and SMS handset.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course all of us on 'unlimited' data on Vodafone contracts taken out a year ago, have found out that VF have found a new dictionary that says 'Unlimited' means 500MB !
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer to the question depends a lot on your lifestyle and your work situation. I have 1GB a month on Vodafone which Iuse very little of as I have fast Wi-Fi at home which the handset uses, I drive to and from work, so not much opportunity to use data other than occasionally listening to some streaming audio and at work I have unlimited access to my employers data.

At weekends I check Facebook, DS and other sites whilst out and about and upload a few pictures etc but my circumstances don't make me feel restricted by the data limit and I am sure the same will apply to many casual users of smartphones.

If you are trying to replace standard connections with mobile data use then I think you could have issues but I think the networks are correct when they say that caps only affect a very small number of users and I further agree that if that guarantees reliable access for the majority then it's probably best practice to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With what you are doing for it, 500mb is plenty. The heavy data uses are video streaming and conferencing.

Don't forget at home you can connect to home wifi.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is for me.
    I have only twice been 'warned' by o2 I was nearly at my download limit and both times it was a few days before my new allowance.
    On my phone I use Facebook, twitter, maps, train times....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am with O2 and didn't think I was a heavy user but in the first month went over, it did slow right down but was only for two days, might be because I am new to the phone and using it for lots of things as it's a novelty but after 9 days this month I have used 24%, I do find that Google Navigation seems to use loads though, might have to revert back to my dedicated sat nav for that side of things!

PS I also use wifi at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no wifi access at work and stream spotify all day at my desk.
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Without any AV and saving things like app downloading I use more or less exactly 500mb a month.

So depending on your use you may find that you start running up against the limit at the last couple of days of the month. You could always go up if you find that.

Phazer
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are apps available that will track it for you, predicting if you're likely to go over your monthly allowance. I use one on Android called 3g watchdog, but I'm sure there are similar in Apple's App store.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another recommendation for 3g watchdog. You set your allowance and your billing date, and it will alert you when you are approaching the cap. The app can be accessed at any time to find out how much you have currently used.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    I'm getting through about 6gb on 3's one plan. Its quite amazing really how much of a smartphone is removed from the consumer by data allowances. To the point I am starting to question myself that if my data was limited if I would even bother having anything more than a voice and SMS handset.

To each his own. I have had an iPhone since day 1 (literally day 1, an iPhone 1 shipped from the States) and over the years I have never exceeded 200MB and yet I consider myself a pretty sophisticated smartphone user, it's just that I have no need or desire to stream anything.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer can use 500MB in an hour to two so any large sort of downloading may exceed that total massively.
    But general browsing it is hard to exceed.

I'm on an £8 a month 500MB 300 mins contract which suffices..
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I was worried about this when I fist got a smartphone - I shouldn't have bothered. Max I have used is 80 mb in a month !

I guess there's not much opportunity to use it. Can use my own wi-fi at home on it and at work my PC does everything I need .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is still worth having something to check.

t-mobile capping system means there is no risk of overcharging but for others which can charge £1000 per GB its certainly worth having some peace of mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who charges a grand per gig.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who charges a grand per gig.

Tesco do I think!, used to be £4,000 a gig before they reduced it.

They actually sent bills out to customers for over £1000 for data use in the UK, people posted on forums like here, MSE, 3G forums, etc with scans on the bill! Most of them managed to negotiate it down to £100 or even get it wiped all together depending on the circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's outstanding really
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Mine is unlimited (They do get touchy around the 20 gig mark though!!) I don't use anywhere near that and am usually around the 1 - 1.5 gig. I object to the company's restricting data to ridiculous levels. They are the ones holding back any progress. They should have learnt from the home broadband issues and not restrict the amount of data. Obviously it's the new cash cow and it's easier and cheaper to give away silly amounts of minutes and texts.
    You know what...Sod em!:p If I have to have my data restricted then the smartphone goes as IMO it becomes obsolete without being able to use it's full potential when needed.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be just Tesco.

A nice little earner for them though that may even keep the costs down for those that don't get caught in their 'spider web'.
  • natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to the companies, they are not restricting the use of data, just encouraging the people that use more to pay more (if they want to) or use less.

I'm not against it in principal, I just hope that the prices reflect the true costs rather than what we have seen in the past.

At about £10 per GB, for a fast and reliable service, I think they have the right balance. After all, if everyone started using mobile data like they use home ADSL, we would have issues with performance due to lack of spectrum.

I'm a heavy user and make the most of Wifi where possible. So long as the prices are reasonable, I understand that a good service does cost money.

I agree, the slow down after limit is far better than the "you have used £1000" approach.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    You know what...Sod em!:p If I have to have my data restricted then the smartphone goes as IMO it becomes obsolete without being able to use it's full potential when needed.:mad:

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater, that's a ridiculous overreaction. I have had an iPhone for 4 1/2 years and for a good deal of that time on an unlimited plan. I have rarely gone over 100MB in a month and never over 500MB. I didn't even notice or care about being capped. I listen to a lot of audio on my phone but typically audiobooks or podcasts that are stored locally. When I am static I nearly always have wifi available and when I am on the move I don't even try and do anything that involves streaming due to the erratic nature of 3G coverage.
    I remember when I had a 110 baud modem in my car in the late 1980's (yes, 110 bits per second) so I appreciate that mobile bandwidth is a limited commodity and it seems perfectly reasonable to me that those who choose to consume vast quantities of mobile data should be charged for the privilege and that those of us who use it more sparingly do not get charged for other people's usage.

The only case I can really see for streaming over 3G is live sports coverage where I will accept that there is no other way of achieving the same thing.