Why is season 9 not liked so much?

I see a lot of dislike for this season so wonder why people dont like it? I personally think it is a under-rated seasons.

I was not a fan of the twist but apart from that the characters were good this season; producing some of the more extreme characters the show has seen. People like Josh were disgusting but I loved the feud between Adam and Shelia in the first few weeks, housemates like Jen, Amanda and Alison produced great drama in the first few weeks, and after that we had Chelsia and Natalie emerge as new drama source.

Is it because of lack of strategy? This season seemed to have little game play and focused more on drama and people shouting at one another?

Or was it because of the "rigging" in the final 4 HoH, you know the infamous gerbil question that cost Sharon the HoH? Other seasons have been even more rigged like 8, 13 and 14.

Or was it just the lack of finding someone to support? Most of the housemates were so unlike-able and it is difficult to root for them!

Like all ready said my view is I like the housemates, maybe not the nicest bunch, but all big characters that brought drama to the house and never made the show boring.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 9 was the only season, besides season 1 which I don't count, I was unable to finish. The participants, except for Sharon, were beyond unlikable and had moved into gross territory. The Matty/Natty relationship was especially distasteful. After Sharon was completely screwed on the guinea pig question that was it for me.

The fact that more than one of the contestants ended up in jail pretty much confirmed my original opinions.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just too trashy and there wasn't anyone to root for. Sharon was nice but a little dull. The rest were just despicable, and I don't mind watching "bad people", villains are usually more interesting, but these people were just horrible and not in a good way.

And yes, the fact that there wasn't any strategy and instead just constant fights and ridiculous drama let it down. Compare to a season like BB11 which also had big characters and fights, but that worked because they cast some likable people and there was at least some semblance of strategy.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me just because of the contestants. A few interesting and likeable contestants got screwed with the twist at the start, Parker and Alex coulda been great contestants, and Sharon aswell screwed. Thankfully Sharon got saved, but the starting just got ruined by the twist.

After that, there just wasn't much strategy, just a lot of drama, and some very unlikeable housemates. It says alot, that bar from Sharon and kinda Sheila, the only person I kinda rooted for was James.

It wasn't particularly a bad series. Its just that you see how the game can be amazing with other series, and this just failed in comparison to the rest.
  • JournalJournal Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVED Season 9. It revived my obsession with BB:USA when it was shown here in the UK on E4. I was rooting for Sheila from the beginning and was almost as gutted as she was that she was evicted just prior to the final, but admittedly she was 'played' in the end.

The reasons I loved this season:
    - Sheila, Natalie and James.
    - The catastrophe of Jen/Ryan/Alison/Parker in the beginning made for excellent viewing.
    - Several houseguests were ACTUALLY playing the game and cared about the game/money itself.
    - Medical emergency / infighting drama.
    - Natalie's eviction was just BB gold for me!
    - The lesbian lie which was just ridiculously bad play but again made for great viewing!
    - I enjoyed the couples twist and felt they broke it up at the perfect time.
    - It was a winter season! :D

The reasons why other people don't like this season:
    - Gimmicky twist.
    - Early evictions of promising players, especially Alex who was a fan favourite.
    - The 'trash' factor.
    - Guinea Pigs :/
    - It felt quite predictable too, I think the final two seemed a given for most.
    - I suppose unlikeable players as has been mentioned but personally I don't think this was such a big deal, but then again I think I watch it for the game/strategy and so end up loving players like Natalie and Joshua who others had despised!
  • calderyoncalderyon Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main reason was the couples theme, which kind of wrecked it some how.

Without it, the gameplay/alignments and interaction between people would have been completely different. Well except Ryan/Jenn, since they were a couple.

Eventhough i still like it kind of what it was, since it was the first US season. But now that i have seen almost all the seasons of US (most of them almost 2-3 years ago. I didn´t finish season 1 because i found it boring. I have watched about half of it. But I might do that someday.), i don´t rate it being that good. But it is still better than 12 and 13 IMO.

----
    If someone´s interested (nobody probably), my order of watching the seasons was 9,8,7,10, 2,3,4,5,6,7 and then 11, 12, 13 and 14.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was horrible and trashy. Watching it became draining.:(

I wonder what would have happened if Neil hadn't left right at the beginning. Would he have been as bad as Josh?
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    It was the first ever season i watched (i saw it on e4) and i loved it. I got hooked straight away and made me fall in love with BBUSA. The only thing i hated was the winner, awful houseguest who really didn't do anything.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    It was the 2nd season I watched (the first being BB4) and I found it hard to remain invested in it.
    The only ones I slightly rooted for were Sheila, Sharon and James but that was more down to a process of elimination and their underdog status. I also liked Natalie but then she turned into a monster.

I could not bear Josh though. I can't even remember why as I haven't rewatched it since then.

The final was rather underwhelming, it became more about who I didn't want to win rather than who I actually did want to win.
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because most of the hms were unlikeable, and there wasn't much gameplay compared to the other seasons. The winner was the hm i hated the most that season.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible cast as was pointed out only Sharon was likeable. Frankly I don't think a single player from this season would deserve any All Star spot in the future. Total mess of a season.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Terrible cast as was pointed out only Sharon was likeable. Frankly I don't think a single player from this season would deserve any All Star spot in the future. Total mess of a season.

The closest realistic allstar for me is Sheila, and considering production are more likely to go for Renny or Shelly as the 'token older woman' even that seems unlikely.

I'd also consider Crazy James and Chatty Natty if I was to stretch it, but with their backgrounds production wouldn't dare touch either of them.
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good from a trainwreck point of view and I don't think it's the worst. But so many people in the cast were actually vile. Like terrible human beings. Only Sheila was worth rooting for and Sharon kinda, but she was a bit dull.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought Natalie was an amazing HG at the time. Not for the first half when she was stalking Matt, but after he left she became kind of awesome in a car-crash way of course.
  • icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Second favorite season after BB14. Liked the winner - am I the only one? Really liked the cast, especially Jen.

So many people really love BB10 which to me has the same flaws which people accuse BB9 of having.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I don't hate it simply because being from the UK it was the only one aired in our country. I loved how different it is from ours. Obviously after seeing other seasons they're so much better but I dont hate season 9.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The only person I liked however was Natalie
  • JazieJazie Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    It was thrown together quickly due to the writers strike and the twist did not work out of the gate. It also followed closely behind Season 8 which was strong and some from that season gave terrible press against Season 9 which also affected dedicated BB'rs opinions.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    It was the first series I watched because it was on E4 and I was hooked.

Wasn't James likeable :confused: I loved him and the fact he kept being nominated and kept winning the power of veto kept my interest until he finally lost his luck :(

I don't seem to have the same problem as others about so many unlikeable character s as there usually are a ton of unlikeable characters who often stay to the end. It's par for the course on reality TV.

I wasn't a Sheila fan as she really was her own worst enemy thinking she could trust Adam :rolleyes: She was crap at the game and deserved to go when she did quite frankly. I think she was only liked by default as there were so many awful housemates and Adam was particularly nasty to her. She was pretty dull really.