Annoying Windws 8 feature

I've just got a Windows 8 laptop.
How do I stop the Start screen and the screen with the strip down the right hand side and date from popping up when I don't want them ?
This so annoying
When the Start screen appears, I have to press the Windows key, then click the Explorer tile :mad:

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By not going into the corner of the screen. that is the only way as far as i know, what you are seeing is the Charms menu,

You can get software to give you a start menu and button, they will also be able to stop the charms menu as well. that is if you want to have a start menu.

i am not sure if there is any software that just stop the charms menu.

i must admit, I found it annoying and the top left hand corner.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a list of third-party utilities which revert various aspects of Windows 8's user interface to the conventional design:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
    Most of these utilities have options to boot in desktop mode, restore the Start button and its menu, and disable the charm icons.
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    You can turn off 'edge swipes' if that's what is causing it.

Go to the settings for your trackpad (which is most likely under the mouse settings) and you'll see the option to enable or disable edge swipes. That should stop you getting the charms bar when you are trying to move the slider on a maximised window.

The Start menu needs a third party plugin to remove...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step 1. Learn and understand how they work
    Step 2. Use that understanding to change any user behaviour as necessary to avoid unintended triggering of these UI
    Step 3. Change settings and install applications to help you with Step 2 as necessary.

Step 1 is important.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Installing Windows 7 works for me. All the crappy problems related with Windows 8 disappear.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Install Windows 7 or use this: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/05/05/windows-8-repair-tool-pic/

It fixes all known W8 problems :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Win-Key + D is your friend. It gets you back to desktop whenever Metro hijacks you from it.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had a morning of working with Windows 8. I have to say that it is a good OS, but the Metro Start thing shouldn't been on a laptop or computer. I have a windows phone which I am use to tiles etc, but anybody without experience of using windows 8 is going struggle.

I ended up downloading classic start just to get the start button back and it boots straight to desktop.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the start8 package does what you want, and you feel you are back in windows 7 mostly.

But even then, the metro still kicks in from time to time and grabs control from desktop mode. It sometimes happens when I try and access a file not associated with any package (especially media files).

I
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    i dont want my pc or lap top looking like an xbox -
    windows 7 dose me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    the start8 package does what you want, and you feel you are back in windows 7 mostly.

But even then, the metro still kicks in from time to time and grabs control from desktop mode. It sometimes happens when I try and access a file not associated with any package (especially media files).

I

You can change your file associations.

search for "set your default programs" in the start screen.
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very annoying too. I'm not very computer savvy, but someone has suggested to me that I get rid of it and install windows 7. Any advice on whether this is a good idea or not? I've been told that I would need to back up anything I wanted as the laptop would be wiped.

Any advice much appreciated
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting rid of Windows 8s is defiantely the reccomended option for fixing the problems with it!
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I find it very annoying too. I'm not very computer savvy, but someone has suggested to me that I get rid of it and install windows 7. Any advice on whether this is a good idea or not?
    It's the only complete solution, although installing one of the utilities which reverts the Windows 8 user interface can provide nearly as good an alternative, with far less cost (unless you have a legal and unused copy of Windows 7 to hand) and without the complexity of having to install a complete new operating system which is not something I'd advise for a non-technical user.
    I've been told that I would need to back up anything I wanted as the laptop would be wiped.
    Yes, that's true. (But I hope you make regular backups anyway.)
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Getting rid of Windows 8s is defiantely the reccomended option for fixing the problems with it!

So is buying a Mac, but not everyone wants a Mac so I didn't suggest it. You can, of course, run Windows on a Mac but that would defeat the purpose of escaping W8, wouldn't it? :D
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for your advice guys. I'm definitely going with that - removing windows 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep the product code. W8.1 is coming soon, upgrade from W8 is gratis, from earlier versions not.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    thanks for your advice guys. I'm definitely going with that - removing windows 8.

It wasn't necessarily good advice......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    It wasn't necessarily good advice......

Let him punish Microsoft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Let him punish Microsoft.

By shelling out for a copy of Win7? :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    By shelling out for a copy of Win7? :D

Exactly. Do those people who glibly say to go back to Windows 7 realise that they need to purchase another licence? There is no automatic downgrade rights from Windows 8 to 7.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

Don't be too hasty, give classic shell a try first and if that does not suit then go ahead with your plan.
    Forum Member

Have you got a copy of Windows 7 handy?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Installing the free Classic Shell is IMO the recommended option. Windows 8 is a good O/S once Metro is hidden, as it can be with Classic Shell.