Washing your hair with just conditioner

Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
Forum Member
Has anyone else tried this?

I have very dry hair and the central heating just makes it worse. I read about about using conditioner only and I can recommend it. I shampoo just once a week now and my hair is in much better condition.

Comments

• MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else tried this?

I have very dry hair and the central heating just makes it worse. I read about about using conditioner only and I can recommend it. I shampoo just once a week now and my hair is in much better condition.

Not really no?

The conventional logic would be (unless the shampoo and conditioner as combined, OR if the Shampoo is a rich formula like a conditioner) to apply the shampoo to clarify, and wash the hair completely clean. The conditioner essentially is to restore the moisture levels, de-tangle, and add shine and bounce to the hair.

Why not shampoo and go for a deep conditioning treatment OR alternative for Dry Hair, go for a hot oil - treatment (as I do).
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I've tried it but it doesn't work for me, but plenty of people do conditioner only washes successfully. It's not a conventional method but then the hair game isn't one size fits all, you need to do what suits your hair. :)

You should still do a proper conditioning treatment after washing though as that will help to hydrate the hair and stop it drying out.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard of people using sparkling water on their hair as opposed to tap water, then conditioner.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    But does your hair feel clean after a conditioner-only wash?

If shampoo is making your hair feel more dried out, then perhaps you are using a product that is too harsh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a pregnant woman who stopped using shampoo because she was woried about the harsher chemicals. It's called co-washing. I've never tried it, but she was happy with the results. Someone I follow on YT makes videos on it too.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ventured into a hair board a while back and heard of conditioner only washes on there. From what I've read for it to be successful you have to leave the conditioner on for about 20 mins or so. Again the results would be mixed but a lot of people had success with it.

There was also another version where they'd tie up the hair, wash the scalp in shampoo and leave the conditioner in the ends.

I guess the only way to know is to give it a go, and what's the worse that can happen? The worst case scenario I read was that the ends got a little over loaded and needed clarifying, so they started doing a clarifying wash once a month and that helped.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I joined this forum a few years ago and there is lots and lots of advice about co washing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/

Check it out, it has fantastic advice for all things hair!