BBC Red button changes

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Is it just me that is finding the BBC Red Button service third rate since the changes? I used to rely quite heavily on the Weather section - especially the video feed for the forecast. The text version is simply rubbish. I may as well wet my finger and stick it out the window, it would surely be just as accurate. :mad:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my knowledge, the video feed, which was only a looped recording made some time earlier, disappeared when the quarter-screen service went (in 2006?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather has the latest video.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk for more detail
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    To my knowledge, the video feed, which was only a looped recording made some time earlier, disappeared when the quarter-screen service went (in 2006?)

Well I had it with the Red Button service via my Sky box until around early November of 2012 - it then disappeared. According to what I have read this was done to save money?
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather has the latest video.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk for more detail

The BBC feed is only updated Monday to Friday and for those of us with an iPad the service is not even accessible as the beeb still continues with outdated Flash technology. It is however the same feed which used to be available via the Red Button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Well I had it with the Red Button service via my Sky box until around early November of 2012 - it then disappeared. According to what I have read this was done to save money?
    Ah, so it was on one of the additional interactive streams on satellite then, streams which were not available on DTT.

Yes, it was to save money (especially as the BBC Trust I think it was had highlighted that such streams were not seen to be a cost-effective use of LF money as far as distribution costs were concerned).

I think that the BBC is looking at providing more interactive streams over t'interwebby.in due course.

More info on this blog post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Satellite-Shuffling-reducing-BBC-Red-Button-and-expanding-BBC-One-HD

The Trust recently launched a review of Red Button services. Sadly for you though, the public consultation part of the process closed at the end of January, so you cannot feed that back.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20070762
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problems I've spotted since the upgrade a few days ago are with the Science and Technology pages. The Science menu should be accessible through 154 and Technology through 153, but only the Science one is available using the page number. They haven't corrected the title either. When you enter 154 it still comes up as Sci-Tech before you then go through to the main Science menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please use http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3990000/newsid_3996500/3996537.stm to comment on, ask questions or report a technical problem about BBC Red Button Text and http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3990000/newsid_3996400/3996489.stm to point out an error in spelling or punctuation or highlight a factual inaccuracy in a story on the service.

I thank you.
    Forum Member
    The Trust recently launched a review of Red Button services. Sadly for you though, the public consultation part of the process closed at the end of January, so you cannot feed that back.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20070762

The BBC asking for LP views, I must have slipped into a parallel universe. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC asking for LP views, I must have slipped into a parallel universe. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that there are regular public consultations linked to BBC Trust reviews.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that there are regular public consultations linked to BBC Trust reviews.

My experience of consultations are they are nothing more than a PR exercise.

Heck the beeb marginalise millions of their viewers by only using metric measurements when they are aware their older viewers struggle to understand centimetres. I'm sure if an ethnic section of society were similarly marginalised their would be an outcry. Rant over.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Heck the beeb marginalise millions of their viewers by only using metric measurements when they are aware their older viewers struggle to understand centimetres.

I know what you mean! Every day I wonder why the Antiques Roadshow isn't offering valuations in Shillings. Although I did think that nice Usain Bolt did pretty well in the 328ft 11/64in race at the Olympics.

Seriously though... what? :confused:
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    I know what you mean! Every day I wonder why the Antiques Roadshow isn't offering valuations in Shillings. Although I did think that nice Usain Bolt did pretty well in the 328ft 11/64in race at the Olympics.

Seriously though... what? :confused:

You dismiss with a sarcastic response something that is a real issue to many people of more mature years. Are you always as understanding as this about what are real issues for others? Seriously though.......really? :confused:
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You dismiss with a sarcastic response something that is a real issue to many people of more mature years. Are you always as understanding as this about what are real issues for others? Seriously though.......really? :confused:

We're in the21st century now and most of the rest of the world is using metric. People who have not adapted yet need to so and it's time imperial measures were consigned to history.

Metrification is not something that has suddenly happened, it's been going on for decades and people of all ages have had more than enough time to understand what is, after all, an easier to use system then the old imperial measures.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    I'll drink to that. Mines a pint. :)
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    We're in the21st century now and most of the rest of the world is using metric. People who have not adapted yet need to so and it's time imperial measures were consigned to history.

Metrification is not something that has suddenly happened, it's been going on for decades and people of all ages have had more than enough time to understand what is, after all, an easier to use system then the old imperial measures.

Really, do the U.S. use this system?

A recent survey revealed that a very large proportion of the UK population over the age of 45 still use imperial and simply don't understand metric measurements. Now as far as I can see excluding such a large group of the UK population smacks of ageism. Perhaps you don't believe in diversity, is that what it is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changes so far:

Airports with full arrivals times are now
    446 Flights - Gatwick North
    447 Flights - Gatwick South
    448 Flights - Luton
    449 Flights - Birmingham
    451 Flights - Newcastle
    452 Flights - Bristol
    453 Flights - Manchester
    455 Flights - Edinburgh
    456 Flights - Highlands & Islands
    457 Flights - Belfast City
    458 Flights - London City
    462 Flights - Jersey
    463 Flights - Liverpool
    464 Flights - East Midlands
    467 Flights - Bournemouth
    468 Flights - Leeds Bradford
    469 Flights - Durham Tees Valley
    471 Flights - Humberside
    472 Flights - Doncaster Sheffield
    473 Flights - Cardiff
    474 Flights - Exeter
    475 Flights - Norwich
    476 Flights - Newquay
    477 Flights - Belfast International
    479 Flights - Isle of Man
    Pages for BAA airports still are listed, but give a web address and a phone number rather than Arrival details.

125 News in Depth, 290 Premium Bonds and 520 Entertainment Extra have all gone.
    The only problems I've spotted since the upgrade a few days ago are with the Science and Technology pages. The Science menu should be accessible through 154 and Technology through 153, but only the Science one is available using the page number. They haven't corrected the title either. When you enter 154 it still comes up as Sci-Tech before you then go through to the main Science menu.

153 Technology and 154 Science are both working, though 153 doesn't always appear if you are using the < and > arrows to scroll through 101 onwards.

360 has been renamed Formula 1 and the Other Sport Section 380 includes Horse Racing (formerly on 660) and MotoGP.

Some BBC England and Crown Dependencies have changed. the full list for these is now
    1620 UK Regions: London & South East
    1625 UK Regions: North East
    1630 UK Regions: Yorks & Lincs
    1635 UK Regions: North West & Cumbria
    1640 UK Regions: West Midlands
    1645 UK Regions: East Midlands
    1650 UK Regions: East
    1660 UK Regions: South
    1665 UK Regions: West & South West
    1675 Isle of Man & Channel Islands

And similarly for Regional Sport in England:
    3920 Regional Sport: London & South East
    3925 Regional Sport: North East & Cumbria
    3930 Regional Sport: Yorkshire & Humbershide
    3935 Regional Sport: North West
    3940 Regional Sport: West Midlands
    3945 Regional Sport: East Midlands & Lincolshire
    3950 Regional Sport: East
    3960 Regional Sport: South
    3965 Regional Sport: West
    3970 Regional Sport: South West

Work outstanding

Sport pages' Red Green Yellow Blue Fastext listings need some reviewing as some shortcuts have been broken.

660 Racing needs to be removed from the service completely.

Community News, Disability and Read Hear can all be accessed via 102, but need re-stitching to the page numbers 1050 and 1040.

Some review of the formatting of stories on the Radio Stations LCNs 700-710 is needed as there are some instances of the letter À being inserted in the text, often before currency symbols on News and Sport Stories.

It would be great to have a brand new version of http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pressred/2009/05/pagenumberlist.shtml published on http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/tags/Red_button before the end of the month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, 153 is working well now from the box view - I mean the view like the one on the top of Andrew Bowden's blogpost http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pressred/2009/05/assigningpagenumbers.shtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... And quarter-screen is back!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know for certain whether the changes are supposed to result in a full-screen page or is full-screen an "unsupported feature" (aka a bug)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter Conversation 6 Feb
    @BBCRedButton I like the changes to the news pages (on Freesat at least). No more scrolling to read a story! #RedButton

@aldupres That's good to hear. Part of a technical update rolling out across all platforms, starting today with Freesat.

Twitter Conversation 14 Feb
    @BBCRedButton is it a fault that the text covers the whole screen & shows no programme? If not it's awful

@joccay We are planning to re-enable the split-screen feature of digital text in the near future.

In other words, the team have the split-screen now as the preferred format for most pages, but not for schedules, fixtures or results. I suppose this is the best way to placate both the split-screen fans and those who were fine with landscape page reading ...

Please do use the Digital Services Feedback forms http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3990000/newsid_3995700/3995709.stm to ask any questions or make any observations on the revisions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks, so news should indeed be full-screen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so:

101 Headlines
    102 Contents
    104 Top News Story
    144 Politics
    153 Technology
    154 Science
    155 Question Time
    160 UK Regions Index
    1010 UK
    1020 World
    1030 Health
    (1040) Community: Read Hear
    (1050) Community: Read Hear
    501 Entertainment News
    504 Top Entertainment Story

These were all split screen before the changes that began in February, so have reverted to that formatting now.

As I say, Mossy, ask the team directly, as I could be wrong in my assumptions given theTwitter conversations quoted above.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

Actually I was puzzled as to which particular BBC content was using metric measurements, where imperial would be more apprpriate.

As far as I know, they use the accepted standards everybody in the UK has been using since metrification - that is, metric measurements for most things, with the odd exception (such as miles for long distances, pints of milk, etc).

I don't see ITV (or any other UK broadcaster for that matter) doing anything different, so I don't know why you have a gripe with the BBC about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number List for Freeview

100 Home
    199 Index

News
    101 News Headlines
    102 News Index
    104 Top News Story
    144 Politics
    153 Technology