What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got both the following as birthday presents - someone knows me too well ;) - and I had to break the spines on them ASAP. Great, interesting reads so far :cool:

- 'Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics To Get You Out of Anywhere – Alive' – by [Canadian] Les Stroud.

- 'Mud, Sweat And Tears [The Autobiography]' – by Bear Grylls:

“….I thrived on the challenge. I wanted more…. I was exploring my limits and felt alive on that edge. I was never the fastest, the strongest or the best at anything, but that only served to fire me. I had a hunger to push myself, and I found that I could dig very deep when I needed to. I don’t really know where or how this huger came about, but I had it. I call it the ‘fire’.”

Love that extract, like the dude is describing me! Totally one of me heroes is ol’ Bear….
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    mulderfan wrote: »
    Close to the bone by Stuart MacBride-very good
    Just finished it tonight

I agree that its very good
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started The Gathering Night by Margaret Elphinstone. This is a story set in Scotland about 8000 years ago in the aftermath of a tsunami. Alaia is a member of a hunter gatherer family. One day her brother goes out hunting and fails to return, leaving the rest of the family struggling to cope with his loss.

It's not really grabbing me so far but I'm only a few pages in so it's early days yet.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Cupcakes at Carrringtons - Alexandra Brown

Undemanding chic lit about depatment store shenanigans approaching Valentines Day.
    Quite a good read, made me lol in a few places.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I got 6 books for under £10 from Amazon and they've been arriving in spits and spats over the past few days.

I'm either going to start on The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge (an author I've always wanted to try, but never got round too) or The Talk Of The Town by Ardal O'Hanlon.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got both the following as birthday presents - someone knows me too well ;) - and I had to break the spines on them ASAP. Great, interesting reads so far :cool:

- 'Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics To Get You Out of Anywhere – Alive' – by [Canadian] Les Stroud.

- 'Mud, Sweat And Tears [The Autobiography]' – by Bear Grylls:

“….I thrived on the challenge. I wanted more…. I was exploring my limits and felt alive on that edge. I was never the fastest, the strongest or the best at anything, but that only served to fire me. I had a hunger to push myself, and I found that I could dig very deep when I needed to. I don’t really know where or how this huger came about, but I had it. I call it the ‘fire’.”

Love that extract, like the dude is describing me! Totally one of me heroes is ol’ Bear….

Ray Mears kicks ol' bears ass every time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Regulators by Richard Bachman/Stephen King.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It's ok so far - I don't think it'll be my favourite book ever, but it's an enjoyable story with a good pace so far. Leaves you in the dark enough to wonder what's going on without being really infuriating!!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Mears kicks ol' bears ass every time.

I disagree - Bear is awesome! People do seem to be on one side or the other with these two though.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Just finished:

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen: Big, wandering and wonderful. Always good to find out all the fuss and hype was actually warranted.

Three to see the King by Magnus Mills: Lovely, deadpan stuff that builds to a fabulous pay-off. And as always with Mills, far more complex than it first appears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Not my usual type of genre but I was tempted by all the rave reviews.
    I'm only a few chapters into it and so far I love the author's style - vividly descriptive whilst still keeping the story flowing.
    I'm hoping it becomes easy to follow all the different characters that are emerging, and how they all relate to each other, though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    A Stolen Life - By Jacee Dugard. Poor little mite, true story of how she was taken by sex offender Phillip Guarrdo at 11 years old, she was kept captive till she was 28.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree - Bear is awesome! People do seem to be on one side or the other with these two though.

Not me I love both :D
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracked open the fourth book of the fever series last night, Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning, and up to now I'm enjoying it as much as the previous 3 of the series. I usually find a dud of a book when committing to a series but I've been pleasantly surprised this time around.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harriet - Elizabeth Jenkins. A compelling read.
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got gypsy boy for Christmas but had not read it until this week, what an incredible book! I finished it in 2 days and went straight out to buy gypsy boy on the run which I have just finished. The books are a roller coaster of emotions and I just couldn't put them down. I highly recommend it
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    The War Is Over - maureen Lee
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    The War Is Over - maureen Lee
    I love Maureen Lee books,so easy to get right into,i havnt read one for ages,i must see if they have any bargains for Kindle.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It's ok so far - I don't think it'll be my favourite book ever, but it's an enjoyable story with a good pace so far. Leaves you in the dark enough to wonder what's going on without being really infuriating!!

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book :)

I'm currently reading Lizzy Harrison Loses Control - it's better than I thought it would be so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading "Currency" by an author, L Todd Wood, who followed me on Twitter - its his first book and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I get quite a lot of new authors following me and plugging their books, I tend to give them a go if its not too expensive for the Kindle (mostly they are not) and there have been some totally awful ones, but sometimes there is a little gem. This one is shaping up that way.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Rachel Hore- The Dream House
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy", and hating it so far. Good story, appalling characterization. Just finished "Gone Girl", which I thought was brilliant.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Secrets by Deborah Cohen
    Drawing upon years of research in previously sealed records, the prize-winning historian Deborah Cohen offers a sweeping and often surprising account of how shame has changed over the last two centuries. Both a story of family secrets and of how they were revealed, this book journeys from the frontier of empire, where British adventurers made secrets that haunted their descendants for generations, to the confessional vanguard of modern-day genealogy two centuries later. It explores personal, apparently idiosyncratic, decisions: hiding an adopted daughter's origins, taking a disabled son to a garden party, talking ceaselessly (or not at all) about a homosexual uncle.

In delving into the familial dynamics of shame and guilt, Family Secrets investigates the part that families, so often regarded as the agents of repression, have played in the transformation of social mores from the Victorian era to the present day. Written with compassion and keen insight, this is a bold new argument about the sea-changes that took place behind closed doors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Hangover Square - Partick Hamilton
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Euan1234 wrote: »
    Hangover Square - Partick Hamilton

Oh I really want to read that!

Are you enjoying it?

I'm halfway through The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge. Very dark but very funny.