The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• smudesmude Posts: 17,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather has been diagnosed with glandular fever which explains a lot.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Some amazing pictures of Andy on his face book page. What a body.
    Sorry don't know how to do links.
    His bod is up there with Nole's. The contrast between the body parts that have been exposed to the sun (lower arms, neck, legs) and those that haven't amuses me :D
    Indeed

Rest up Hev.

Hopefully it's a mild strain because it's taken Soderling out of the men's game for ages. I believe Soderking has been training for a couple of months, which is music to my ears. Can only find a Portuguese link to that story.
  • Say_My_NameSay_My_Name Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Laura lost. Her momentum lasted long lolol.

4-6 6-3 1-6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura lost. Her momentum lasted long lolol.

4-6 6-3 1-6
    Here it is.

See, Laura's likeable even when frustrated :D

She has the semi defense that she was playing her bezzie. Breadstick in the deciding set? Sounds like more frailty on serve, not good.

Still, could be worse...Sloane was bagelled in her loss to Beth Mattek-Sands. :eek:
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor thing, although in a strange way her diagnosis is good news. The blood test suggested it was at the tail end, so she's had it for a while, and this explains why she's felt so tired and poor form etc.

A bit of a rest and she should be re-invigorated physically and mentally. It wasn't that long ago people accused her of being a drama queen and not mentally strong enough for saying she felt like she needed a break.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the kind words in the last few pages - I don't really want to resurface the tension, but I would like to just mention how nice the comments were to read. I do sometimes feel a little bit at odds with posters on this thread, because most people (quite obviously, this is a British forum) are supporting Andy and I'm a fan of his biggest opponent right now - tally, it is ajde, and I had forgotten that I had discussed the tattoo on this thread :o:D

That doesn't mean I am a Murray "hater" or that I dislike him in any way, it's just that I've supported Novak since 2006, I have been through the ups and the downs, and he will be my personal number 1 until the day he retires. I do like to think, however, that I'm rational and objective about tennis in general and I think I'm pretty fair, as it goes.

Erm ... anyway, now that soliloquy is over - how are we all finding Charleston? Jankovic is continuing her good form, which is good to see, though I was disappointed to see Ivanovic losing early in Monterrey.

Anyone excited about Davis Cup? As a Nole fan I have mixed feelings about his participation - while I think it admirable, I also just wish he were home in Monte Carlo preparing for the clay season!
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stosur got lucky didnt she. Lost the first and down 0-2 in 2nd when opponent retires...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    Thank you for the kind words in the last few pages - I don't really want to resurface the tension, but I would like to just mention how nice the comments were to read. I do sometimes feel a little bit at odds with posters on this thread, because most people (quite obviously, this is a British forum) are supporting Andy and I'm a fan of his biggest opponent right now - tally, it is ajde, and I had forgotten that I had discussed the tattoo on this thread :o:D

That doesn't mean I am a Murray "hater" or that I dislike him in any way, it's just that I've supported Novak since 2006, I have been through the ups and the downs, and he will be my personal number 1 until the day he retires. I do like to think, however, that I'm rational and objective about tennis in general and I think I'm pretty fair, as it goes.

Erm ... anyway, now that soliloquy is over - how are we all finding Charleston? Jankovic is continuing her good form, which is good to see, though I was disappointed to see Ivanovic losing early in Monterrey.

Anyone excited about Davis Cup? As a Nole fan I have mixed feelings about his participation - while I think it admirable, I also just wish he were home in Monte Carlo preparing for the clay season!
    You're welcome :)

BIB - you're one of the most fair minded Nole fans I've ever encountered. I wish that more Nole fans would follow your example tbh.

Re: Charleston, Genie Bouchard is making a name for herself. Reaching the QF should see her into the top 100 and the main draws. Wozrena final looks likely unless JJ can spring a surprise.

Nole didn't play DC last year did he? He shouldn't expend too much energy against Isner or Querrey. Tipsy and Troicki probably wouldn't be enough to get it done.

Draw for Monte Carlo will be interesting...will Rafa land in Nole or Andy's half?
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Stosur got lucky didnt she. Lost the first and down 0-2 in 2nd when opponent retires...
    Nah, Sam retired. Apparently her movement was compromised from the off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally, it is ajde, and I had forgotten that I had discussed the tattoo on this thread :o:D

:D So now I can speak Serbian, well one word! (You didn't just mention it, you posted a picture of the celebratory tattoo)

Sometimes my memory actually works. :)

I'd agree with you. Andy is reserving his strength so "Nope" wont be watching unless it's a peek at Argentina v France.
    That's dependent on Delpo playing and not even the tiniest squeak from Castle in the Sky commentary box.

EDIT: Have Sky lost the rights? Only Eurosport are showing DC. Serbia v USA.

DRAT :(
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone been to Boodles? Partner wants to go but I don't know much about it and is it a worthwhile tournie to see?
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New tournament announced for next year, in a nice location.
    http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3122958/title/rio-open-added-to-2014-calendar
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Stosur pulled out, so Eugenie Bouchard is in the Quarter final! Oh Robson, you are a muppet, lol.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Evans is one set all. Just won tie break.
  • Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magpie11 wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

2 sets all now.....
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Janine999 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.

2 sets all now.....

You're welcome.

C'mon Dan.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Boodles? Partner wants to go but I don't know much about it and is it a worthwhile tournie to see?

Haven't been but Nole, del Potro, Berdych and Gasquet are playing there this year so its a good chance to see top players in a more intimate setting. Its only exhibition tennis - and bear in mind the top players usually play the midweek matches rather than the Saturday as they are more focused on SW19 by then.

http://www.theboodles.com/

Its obviously easier to drive there - but free shuttle buses run from Slough station regularly so you can do it by public transport. Prices start from £43/£55 per day - to as much as £5,400 for the players enclosure (if you want to mingle with the stars!) and you normally get to see 3 matches. So not bad value.

PS Looks like Dan Evans is about to lose to Tursonov - a very weak Russian team and no Davydenko or Youzhny. But still possibly too good for GB minus Murray.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venus through to the semis, looks like we'll have our first Serena-Venus match since 2009. It would also be just their third match on clay, and first since the FO final back in 2002.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This camera-person has a crush on Novak ... can't take his lens off him ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venus through to the semis, looks like we'll have our first Serena-Venus match since 2009. It would also be just their third match on clay, and first since the FO final back in 2002.

The fact Venus at 33 years old and no where near her best still beat two of the up and coming Americans in the same day is quite something.

Serena will likely destroy her in the SF's though. JJ Continues her good form and us in the Semis
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome :)

BIB - you're one of the most fair minded Nole fans I've ever encountered. I wish that more Nole fans would follow your example tbh.

Nole didn't play DC last year did he? He shouldn't expend too much energy against Isner or Querrey. Tipsy and Troicki probably wouldn't be enough to get it done.

I speak to a lot of Nole fans on twitter who are good-natured and sane - but there is certainly a section of the fandom who are quite over-the-top and certainly quite hard to take. But I imagine all players have that group of fans.

Novak didn't play DC last year though he certainly wanted to - his team and his DC comrades convinced him not to, but he loves the tournament and relishes playing for his country. I'm not convinced Serbia will win this tie against the US, Tipsarevic isn't playing so even assuming Novak wins both his rubbers, it relies on Troicki winning a match and taking into account his form, that seems like a stretch. Tipsa not playing guarantees Novak's involvement - he is far too dedicated.

ETA: Having won his first singles rubber, Nole has just told press that the team are considering putting him into the doubles too. He really gives this everything he has.
    tally wrote: »
    :D So now I can speak Serbian, well one word! (You didn't just mention it, you posted a picture of the celebratory tattoo)

Sometimes my memory actually works. :)

Oh my word, did I?! Ha ... the tattoo is where all my claims to be reasonable and sane go out the window. :eek: But I love it ... sometimes during tight matches I give it a kiss for luck :o
    Gellymiss wrote: »

I haven't been to Boodles, but the lineup this year is just incredible. I can't commit to those dates this far in advance, but I'm considering buying up some tickets anyway. The people I've spoken to who have been say it's great, some entertaining matches (exhibition, but taken quite seriously) and great opportunities for interaction with the players.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    PS Looks like Dan Evans is about to lose to Tursonov - a very weak Russian team and no Davydenko or Youzhny. But still possibly too good for GB minus Murray.
    A weakened Russia is still superior to our team (bar Murray of course). Tursunov and Donskoy are both in the top 100. They have nine players who are higher ranked than Wardy.
    I speak to a lot of Nole fans on twitter who are good-natured and sane - but there is certainly a section of the fandom who are quite over-the-top and certainly quite hard to take. But I imagine all players have that group of fans.

Novak didn't play DC last year though he certainly wanted to - his team and his DC comrades convinced him not to, but he loves the tournament and relishes playing for his country. I'm not convinced Serbia will win this tie against the US, Tipsarevic isn't playing so even assuming Novak wins both his rubbers, it relies on Troicki winning a match and taking into account his form, that seems like a stretch. Tipsa not playing guarantees Novak's involvement - he is far too dedicated.

ETA: Having won his first singles rubber, Nole has just told press that the team are considering putting him into the doubles too. He really gives this everything he has.
    All the top 4 have that element, yes. I suppose it's inevitable that it will exist given their success but the extreme Fedfans seem a bit more respectful when not discussing Rafa.

I can understand Nole's passion for DC. Serbia winning it in 2010 inspired him to have an amazing 2011.

Nole did the business against Isner, but Troicki choked his match against Querrey away so it's level pegging. Will Nole pair up with Zimonjic to take on the Bryans tomorrow?

It's rare for top players to embrace the DC and even be willing to throw their hat in the ring for doubles. Berdych is another one but his schedule is really catching up to him.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Haven't been but Nole, del Potro, Berdych and Gasquet are playing there this year so its a good chance to see top players in a more intimate setting. Its only exhibition tennis - and bear in mind the top players usually play the midweek matches rather than the Saturday as they are more focused on SW19 by then.

Thank you for that information. I'd love to go but if I can't guarantee seeing Mr Djok playin the flesh, then i'd probably give it a miss as I could only go on the Saturday. Very tricky trying to arrange to see one specific player :o
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rare for top players to embrace the DC and even be willing to throw their hat in the ring for doubles. Berdych is another one but his schedule is really catching up to him.
    Yes, he pulled out. Officially he's got a bad shoulder, but the way he was talking in his Miami presser, I think he's just plain exhausted and needed a break.

I think it helps if you know that your team has a good chance of winning the whole thing, as well as individual draws. That probably means at least another two decent singles players, so one of you can miss a draw if injured or just too tired without it becoming an instant disaster. The Serbs are weaker without Tipsy, but at least a Troicki win (or two) isn't far-fetched. It meant they could hold their place in the World Group without Djokovic last year.

Spain and France have no end of top players to ensure a solid team, and the ability to rest players, or pick them according to who is in form and the surface etc. Switzerland has a bit less depth, but at least they have a second player in the top 20, who can go the distance with most top ten players. It's only really Federer he struggles with, so not an issue for Davis Cup, lol.

Does anyone know why there's no Davydenko or Youzhny this time? Did they decide to rest them thinking there's no point using their best players against us? If so, that almost back-fired on them yesterday. :eek::D

Shame our lads couldn't get a win, but a fantastic experience for them both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we won the doubles! No white wash for us :D
This discussion has been closed.