Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a worst dish special, turd, titanic & volcano plus toothbrush and johnny mountain's fish course! I just want to see the judges faces on eating the turd lol
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Looking at Mary Anne's restaurant menu, there's a lot of food I'd love.

I'd have Pea mousse and Carmarthen ham.
    Slow cooked chinese Pork.
    Icecream with oranges

The prices are very good and hurrah! The mains come with veg. rather than having to order everything as sides.

Still, and it recently isn't whether she's pretty or not, who cares?, I'd be worried about finding hair and skin in the dishes.
    I've not looked into it but to me it seems like she has opened her own cafe/bistro.
    That might be fine for the locals to have a nice night out but this comp is supposed to be a step above.

That's why when she went off on one when the other chefs said her fish course was simple it was because to them it was standard run of the mill stuff.
    Dission wrote: »
    Am I the only one that took for granted that she was put there for comic effect given that it was comic relief the other day? When they introduced her in her kitchen serving grubs I instantly thought "this must be a joke, GBM sticking to the brief themselves". But It seems like it is only me, and they haven't "revealed" the joke so I am seriously starting to consider that they did it at face value, which it really is puzzling.

Did anyone else think like me? It just seems way too odd to invite a not-classically trained, not acclaimed chef. The rest of them have some caliber, invinting to the competition to any pub chef is not really what the program is about and just seems an attempt to irony here.
    There are exceptions. Not sure how much Tom Kerridge worked in restaurants before he opened his own pub and there have been some younger chefs who haven't made a name for themselves yet but are going through the classical route.

I just don't think that Mary Ann fits in however you view it.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Tom Kerridge went to catering college, and I think he worked in a number of restaurants before going out on his own. I'm almost certain, off the top of my head :o, that he worked for Gary Rhodes at least.
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    That's what the wife and I decided last night, it's like a sympathy line up.

Never in the field of the Great British Menu have so many missed the brief by so far.

It's like chef's don't understand the word "comedy", most don't seem to have watched a single sitcom ever given the huge range of historically funny dishes (as shown by previous posters). They inhabit a world where pineapples, nan's china, red plates and tin cans are the peak of comedy genius.

(Although oddly a large number do seem to be aware of "Why did the chicken cross the road")

Tom Aikens has been IMO the most impressive for me so far, both in terms of quality of food and fitting the brief, but I agree a large number don't seem to have embraced it at all or have put in a very lame effort. Agreed, the chicken crossing the road gag has been done to death!!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    I'm sure Tom Kerridge went to catering college, and I think he worked in a number of restaurants before going out on his own. I'm almost certain, off the top of my head :o, that he worked for Gary Rhodes at least.
    Yes, it's not Tom Kerridge that I was thinking of. The guy who it is hasn't been on GBM.
    I saw him in a programme once and he talked about how he had no training but ate out at top restaurants for 10 years and then opened his pub.
    IIRC he was quite a large guy who owned a gastropub on the South Coast which is why for a moment I got him mixed up with TK

Incidentally, just whilst looking things up it seems that Heston had no formal training apart from a couple of work experience jobs.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've missed episodes from 21 Feb until last night and am wondering where I can watch them. (I know a few are still available on iPlayer but I can't get it to work satisfactorily. It keeps cutting out.)
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Aikens has been IMO the most impressive for me so far, both in terms of quality of food and fitting the brief, but I agree a large number don't seem to have embraced it at all or have put in a very lame effort. Agreed, the chicken crossing the road gag has been done to death!!

It has.
    And you have the added complication that the first attempt at said gag was by far the best so any subsequent ones are simply looking like inferior imitations (even though they obviously aren't. Imitations that is; they are inferior ;)).
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    mary-ann has been upgraded from "self-taught" to "classical"....

yung gun Luke is injecting humour into his dish with watercress....
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitt the Younger.... I think he's young man who needs to understand failure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is so gastronomic about a shepherd's pie?
    Forum Member
    Pitt the Younger.... I think he's young man who needs to understand failure.

agree he doesn't seem to understand the difference between confidence and coming across as a sulky show off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »

Anything, cooked well, can be gastronomic. TBH I'd sooner eat that than some of the other stuff that get's served up
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    Dunno - if were her Nan's instead of her Mum's it might be funnier? :p
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Anne is in my top 3 least likeable of the competition. Cottage pie isn't every VIP is it? I know we could say that about the pie from a couple of weeks back (NI) but that pie looked special like the best pie ever. That just looks like, well, cottage pie.
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Dunno - if were her Nan's instead of her Mum's it might be funnier? :p

she missed a trick there.....a tablecloth away from the banquet so sad :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    not enough gravy richard a whole bloody pan full and you serve a teaspoon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm biased but can we not put 2 from Scotland through instead?
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Anne is in my top 3 least likeable of the competition. Cottage pie isn't every VIP is it? I know we could say that about the pie from a couple of weeks back (NI) but that pie looked special like the best pie ever. That just looks like, well, cottage pie.

Who are the other 2?
  • guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Jeremy has picked the short straw having to judge this bunch

If Mary Anne gets through heaven knows that what the critics will say ..... could be comedy gold.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,483
    Forum Member
    I like this week's judge; he's saving it from being a complete borefest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's nowhere near the level of Chris Horrid (if anyone remembers him), or Johnny Mountain.

And in general chef terms, she has a long way to go before she get's to Tom Kitchen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh, cottage pie, same thing different meat. Still not exactly banquet food though.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's nowhere near the level of Chris Horrid (if anyone remembers him), or Johnny Mountain.

And in general chef terms, she has a long way to go before she get's to Tom Kitchen

Galton Blackiston (first two series) must be near the top of the list of least likeable contestants.
    Forum Member
    oh dear the humour element hasn't made it to the plate....

Luke's food reminds me of many local restaurants were the chefs have watched too many programmes with 3 michelin star chefs and try to do too much and it ends up not working
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are the other 2?

1) Guy who got through from Northern Ireland
    2) Her
    3)Nan's roast dinner guy or little Max Branning who avoided the brief at all costs from last week.