Beyonce surprises the world releasing self titled album on iTunes without warning.

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have no idea why people get so orgasmic over sales?

if it had only sold 100 copies would you like the album less? would it matter?
    im just intrigued by it.

I don't get it either. I suspect those who get so awed by sales figures are younger fans, who have been brought up in a world where we have things like the X Factor which make out that unless you SELLSELLSELL, you are a rubbish artist.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made it to #5 in the UK this week, with 67,000 copies sold in two days. The highest debut sales of a female this year! In two days!

Destroying the competition like a boss and pro.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People get "so orgasmic" over sales figures because achieving huge sales figures such as those Beyonce has is a fantastic achievement. Sales figures don't necessarily reflect the quality of the work, but it's still a huge achievement. Why would you not be happy for an artist you really like if they sell huge numbers?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People get "so orgasmic" over sales figures because achieving huge sales figures such as those Beyonce has is a fantastic achievement. Sales figures don't necessarily reflect the quality of the work, but it's still a huge achievement. Why would you not be happy for an artist you really like if they sell huge numbers?

Because it is totally irrelevant. Maybe to the artist it isn't, but really should be for a fan, who would like the music no matter what.

Is sales figures a new phenomenon amongst fans? as I don't recall sales figures been important to fans back in the 80's.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Grown woman had made the album, not just as a music video
  • britney.jeanbritney.jean Posts: 61
    Forum Member

Its just personal opinion I guess.
    I have seen so many album threads on DS though which have pages and pages endless droning on about amazing/crap sales.
    To me its just like, who cares?
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one had written off Bey at all. 4 may not have been the best seller of her career, but she never got no flack for it's underperformance.

I am really happy she is selling as many copies as it has. She's at her stage in her career and life where this is the music she should be doing. I have always found the majority of her albums as too safe. This isn't and i like that.

I said written her off for the year.

People thought she'd scrapped a full album or had it rejected by her label etc etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Because it is totally irrelevant. Maybe to the artist it isn't, but really should be for a fan, who would like the music no matter what.

Is sales figures a new phenomenon amongst fans? as I don't recall sales figures been important to fans back in the 80's.

I'm sure people would like the music no matter what. I love lots of artists and bands who are unknown as well as the more big names. When someone I like does well, I'm happy for them. Don't see what the big issue is with that.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Actually they did...you just don't see them debating it on internet forums.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am yet to listen to the album but I'm going to wait until I get my CD. I'm getting out of college early next friday so I'm hoping to go down to Sainsbury's and pick it up, it should be in stock right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is everyone's interpretation of the Heaven video? It's about her miscarriage. From what I can gather, she's is living out events in her life that she would have lived through with her daughter. But is the girl in the video supposed to be her daughter grown up? Love the song and video by the way. So emotional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I wish she put Standing on the Sun on the album or someone should leak it as it isn't going to be used.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    There's so many little nods to her previous work and little hidden things in the songs. Love the reference to Freakum Dress from B'Day in Jealousy.

Exactly. And it added to the song as well, because you knew she was mad she took the Freakum Dress out and he didn't turn up. Oops! haha :D
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised she managed to keep this a secret.

I've now had the chance to watch and listen to the tracks and their videos through Facebook and I have to say that I'm actually disappointed with her new album. Most of the tracks are pretty average if I'm honest, there are only a few that I really like, but the rest just seems below average.

Favourites

Blue
    XO - Very catchy, I love it! This is definitely one of my top favs!:D
    Pretty Hurts - Excellent video and it's a very powerful song!^_^
    Grown Woman
    Superpower (Feat Frank Ocean)
    Mine (Feat Drake) - I can't stop listening to this! The chorus is very catchy, I love it! It's another one of my top favs!:):D

The Good/Decent

Drunk In Love
    Blow

The Average/Mediocore

Rocket
    No Angel
    Heaven - The video is beautiful but the song just doesn't do it for me. It's not memorable enough.
    Jealous

Least Favourites

Yonce - I absolutely hate this one!
    Haunted
    Ghost
    Partition
    Flawless - This is her worst out of all of them along with Yonce

I gotta admit, some of the videos are creative and imaginative that they actually become more enjoyable to watch, even more enjoyable than listening to the certain track. I honestly feel Beyonce can do so much better than this, it's pretty weak compared to her work on I Am Sasha Fierce and even previous albums. Most of the tracks are too dull and repetitive for me to get into. It just feels empty and like a step down to her previous work. I am pretty disappointed. :(
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

this.:D i remember going to record stores every week just to read the top 75 chart print out and to see what records were certified silver, gold and platinum.:blush: the "guinness book of british hit singles" was like a bible for me growing up too.:p
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty Hurts is the most obvious single and has the best video too. I hope she releases it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you not be happy for an artist you really like if they sell huge numbers?

Because I care far more about the music and the art than I ever will about sales figures and having pissing contests with so called rival fandoms.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't recall ever debating sales figures, getting to number one yes, but these days that is irrelevant..especially as the record companies buy a lot of records of the artist to make sure it happens. Probably happened back in the 80's as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I care far more about the music and the art than I ever will about sales figures and having pissing contests with so called rival fandoms.

And so do I, but what is wrong with being happy that an artist you like is doing really well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I wish she put Standing on the Sun on the album or someone should leak it as it isn't going to be used.

I think she might have something planned for it. Maybe not a release, but she apparently performed it on a European date of her tour before the audience arrived and it was filmed. So I'm guessing she'll use it for something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so do I, but what is wrong with being happy that an artist you like is doing really well?

I've not said anything is "wrong" with it, just that I personally don't get the obsession with sales figures and find it the most boring aspect of music discussion. Maybe it really is an age thing, or just some people really like numbers? I don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I've not said anything is "wrong" with it, just that I personally don't get the obsession with sales figures and find it the most boring aspect of music discussion. Maybe it really is an age thing, or just some people really like numbers? I don't know.

I agree with you. Yes, it's an accomplishment for the ARTIST but really the only ones that should be obsessing over sales are the label/record company. We the audience either enjoy the music or not lol.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure people would like the music no matter what. I love lots of artists and bands who are unknown as well as the more big names. When someone I like does well, I'm happy for them. Don't see what the big issue is with that.

I prefer seeing bands live in small intermate venues with like minded hardcore fans, seeing a popular act in a huge arena where half the capacity only know the radio 'hits' makes for a sterile environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I prefer seeing bands live in small intermate venues with like minded hardcore fans, seeing a popular act in a huge arena where half the capacity only know the radio 'hits' makes for a sterile environment.

And so do I. But I also enjoy seeing huge stars such as Beyonce. My music tastes are very eclectic and range from unknown bands/artists to well known stars such as Beyonce. I love many different genres of music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Beyoncé abd her voice is flawless yet simplistic on this album but I'm really not feeling this album at all.
    They all seem like filler tracks as there is no stand outs and I get bored aand sleepy listen to it. Very disappointed tbh