Can't apply for another Asda job for six months?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 489
Forum Member
Hi people,

Just want to know why can't I apply for a job at Asda (any job) for six months?

I applied a couple of weeks ago for a store in the next town from me, but got an email basically saying "No thanks but your on our records for six months if anything comes up"

I'm trying to find a telephone number for HR head office but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Exactly as they say I guess, they'll keep your details on file for 6 months so if anything comes up that you look suitable for, they'll contact you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't mean that you can't apply. It means that they are keeping your details, and if they think that they have a suitable vacancy, they will get in touch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't say you can't apply for anything else within 6 months. Just means that if they have a vacancy within that time that is better suited to you, they will prob bring you in for interview.

Doesn't stop you applying for any other posts with them off your own back though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I did apply for something different but got the following email.

Dear Jack
    Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Asda, it’s great that you’re so enthusiastic. However, the results of your first application are still valid, as it’s less than 6 months since you last applied.
    All the decisions we make about applications are valid for a full 6 months and so unfortunately, as you were unsuccessful the first time, we can't accept any new applications from you for any other roles within this time.
    We really appreciate that you’ve taken the time to send us your details again, and we’re sure your determination will pay off very soon. In the meantime, we wish you the very best for the future.
    Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Hall
    Asda Recruitment Team
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had that with Apple, couldn't apply for 6 months. A mail merged email after two interviews is always nice. :p
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - if you can't get a job in Asda I'd give up all hope of anything ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Well that's different from your first post. I haven't seen that before but I have seen something similar 'previous applicants needs not apply' which basically means sorry you're not good enough. I'm presuming they're saying if you're not good enough now you're unlikely to have changed in a couple of months, which is the reason for the six month bar.

^^This
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys is the same, people try and get around it by using a different email but when they find out they cancel your application.
    Forum Member
    Helix wrote: »
    Sainsburys is the same, people try and get around it by using a different email but when they find out they cancel your application.

That's no suprise really being you can get away with a different email address but not name, home address, national insurance number etc.:)

But why do you have to wait six months? Is it because they change the questions every six months or something legal wise?
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »

What a horrible thing to say. :eek:
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member

Wow :eek: You are really mean..
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    jack42 wrote: »
    But why do you have to wait six months? Is it because they change the questions every six months or something legal wise?
    Possibly because ASDA do not trust their local managers to have to make too many decisions using their own experience and intiative and would rather have stupid, inflexible, simplistic automatic rules to keep their in-box manageable.
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member

Oh be quiet :rolleyes:

I work for Asda, and in my department alone there are 3 graduates, an electrician and a veterinary nurse all working as shelf stackers.

It's an employers market, nothing to do with the skill of candidates.

OP, just keep applying for jobs, fingers crossed for you. When I had my interview at Asda there were loads and loads of applicants for a few positions so please don't be too disheartened.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really will keep your application for six months though. I was rejected initially, and got called back 3 months later, I've been there coming on 3 years now.
    Forum Member
    Oh be quiet :rolleyes:

I work for Asda, and in my department alone there are 3 graduates, an electrician and a veterinary nurse all working as shelf stackers.

It's an employers market, nothing to do with the skill of candidates.

OP, just keep applying for jobs, fingers crossed for you. When I had my interview at Asda there were loads and loads of applicants for a few positions so please don't be too disheartened.

Thank you very much I am moving on from Asda, but it just puzzles me why I have to wait six months? I rang my local one and they said "that's just the way it is" she also said "I thought it was longer than that :eek:"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really will keep your application for six months though. I was rejected initially, and got called back 3 months later, I've been there coming on 3 years now.

Me too, but for Somerfield's. (RIP). I'd just started looking for a job as well, so it was a real stroke of luck. The phone call came out of nowhere!

If only it was that easy these days... :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a manager in Asda, and altho I believe the application process has changed a bit recently, but basically you are scored on the application for your attitude. If you don't answer the questions with the correct attitude, it's not something you can just re-apply for. Therefore Asda asks you not to re-apply for six months in which time, your attitude may have changed.

I don't mean anything negative by "attitude" btw, but Asda is all about the culture of the business and they want people to fit in with it. "hire for attitude, train for skill" used to be the tagline.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    jack42 wrote: »
    Thank you very much I am moving on from Asda, but it just puzzles me why I have to wait six months? I rang my local one and they said "that's just the way it is" she also said "I thought it was longer than that :eek:"

Do you not think your going a bit far OP? You were about to email HR and you rung up a store? I don't really see what the big deal is.. They said they would keep your details for 6 months.. If anything it saves you hassle having to keep reapplying for jobs there. If something comes up that is suitable for you they will get in touch straight away.

I'd say just relax a little bit :)
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

That's out of order.:mad:

Where do you work at?
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Do you not think your going a bit far OP? You were about to email HR and you rung up a store? I don't really see what the big deal is.. They said they would keep your details for 6 months.. If anything it saves you hassle having to keep reapplying for jobs there. If something comes up that is suitable for you they will get in touch straight away.

I'd say just relax a little bit :)

Admittedly yes, but I suppose what happened was I snapped slightly being I'm very eager to get back into work ASAP and also my training provider is on my back. But overall it's just out of interest being me and other people have had that reply.