EE - Vic question ... Who is in charge?

ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Phil told Kat and Alfie they had to leave but they are still there with Rozy as Manager. Did Phil change his mind about sacking K and A and running it himself so he put Rozy in? Or did he intend this all along?

Why, if he intended throwing K and A out when they returned, did he decorate a bedroom for Tommy when he re-did all the upstairs? Or did he intend that bedroom to be for Amy?

Comments

• ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,931
    Forum Member
    He changed his mind about sacking Kat and Alfie although I wish that he'd just thrown them out.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The set-up is a bit weird.

Do K&A just work for Phil and get paid a wage for running the vic or are they renting the premises from him and running it as their own pub?

If it the former then why would they have to be responsible for the costs of runnung the vic and pay phil rent? If the latter then why can phil stick his oar in regarding staffing and when they take time off, etc.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    Alfie and Kat are still landlord and landlady respectively but Roxy is the manager so to me the landlord and landlady are in charge but Roxy manages the pub...
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie and Kat are still landlord and landlady respectively but Roxy is the manager so to me the landlord and landlady are in charge but Roxy manages the pub...

Makes no sense though. If the business is "theirs" (as in they just pay phil rent for the premises) then the owner of the building has no say in the running of the business including staffing.

If they are running the pub for Phil (as in he employs them to work there) then why would they be paying rent for the premises they are employed to work in?
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they rent the flat upstairs and Phil pays them a wage from working in the pub. That'll probably be why Phil often uses the till as his own personal piggy bank.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vic is a mess- they need a proper family in there...
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

I agree, though its gonna take alot of planning and some guts for Lorraine to put a new family in the Vic! It hasnt been done before but it would be good to see some new characters behind the bar.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kick Alfie and Kat out I'm just sick of it, leave Roxy there with Phil more being more regular and Tracy to :)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,665
    Forum Member

Is the idea to get Phil & Sharon together as a couple and have them run it.

Sharon would kick Roxy out and let Kat & Alfie do the day to day running with Sharon perched on her stool at the end of the bar knocking back the G&T's
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I agree, though its gonna take alot of planning and some guts for Lorraine to put a new family in the Vic! It hasnt been done before but it would be good to see some new characters behind the bar.

It has, when the Butchers ran it
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Yep..it's their name above the door. Roxy just gets a wage for managing the place.

Phil may own the pub but Kat and Alfie rent the premises...the business is theirs.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to me a new family is the only answer- the perfect way to introduce a new family, I really dont see what the issue is- there are plenty of decent actors out there...
    Forum Member
    to me a new family is the only answer- the perfect way to introduce a new family, I really dont see what the issue is- there are plenty of decent actors out there...

I'd say the issue is that whoever got brought in would face resentment from fans of existing characters. Kat and Alfie are popular, Sharon and Phil are popular, others like the idea of Roxy and Alfie or even Janine and Michael.

By all means a new family but they need to work themselves into the square first much as Phil and Grant did and Pat and Frank.
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It confuses me that Kat and Alfie are the licensees of the QV, but both of them have criminal records, so would be unlikely to be grated a license.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Den! We didn't SEE him be buried in the grave ;)
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And is it the mangers job to hire and fire people?
    As Carol was asking for a job, but Roxy said No!
  • EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat and Alfie are landlords but roxy is the manager and seems to be the one in charge overall which is strange because the landlords are usually over the managers

I cant imagine in reality the owner could appoint a manager when he has tenants running the business for them but then again it is Phil mitchell:D
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    And is it the mangers job to hire and fire people?
    As Carol was asking for a job, but Roxy said No!

I don't think she can fire the Landlady. Alfie and Kat put £20,000+ into the place. It was a burnt out shell when they took over.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. It certainly needs to be taken away from Mitchell ownership, at least.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie was saying in scenes a few days ago about 'asking Roxy' to make any changes :confused:

The setup doesn't make any sense. It was established that Alfie bought the lease from Phil and pay rent for the premises. In any normal situation, the premises are then effectively 'theirs' for the term of the lease, ie. they can run any sort of permissible business in any manner they see fit. The profits are theirs, the debts are theirs. Then they go away for a while, and Phil decides to install Roxy as a manager :confused:

Alfie is legally in his right to tell Phil where to shove the manager, he could even bar Phil from the premises if he sees fit, requiring written notice to visit.

But then, this is Philth Mitchell :rolleyes:
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie has only ever been the manager hasnt he? Remember back in 2002 when he pretended to be Chris Wright, Peggy's new bar manager? He's never been the pubs owner or landlord just bar manager. So Phil as owner and landlord was well within his rights to demote Alfie from manager to barman for abandoning the pub. So now Alfie and Kat, although they live upstairs, are merely bar staff and no more senior than the likes of Tracy. Roxy's the pubs new manager and is second in command beneath Phil.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie has only ever been the manager hasnt he? Remember back in 2002 when he pretended to be Chris Wright, Peggy's new bar manager? He's never been the pubs owner or landlord just bar manager. So Phil as owner and landlord was well within his rights to demote Alfie from manager to barman for abandoning the pub. So now Alfie and Kat, although they live upstairs, are merely bar staff and no more senior than the likes of Tracy. Roxy's the pubs new manager and is second in command beneath Phil.

I think this is right. It doesn't explain why Kat and Alfies names are above the door though... :confused:
    Forum Member

He was manager when Peggy was Landlady. This time he and Kat gave Phil a wad of cash and pay rent. They are the Landlords. Phil does not pay them wages, they keep what is left after expenses and rent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    He was manager when Peggy was Landlady. This time he and Kat gave Phil a wad of cash and pay rent. They are the Landlords. Phil does not pay them wages, they keep what is left after expenses and rent.

This, - although with their criminal records its unlikely either of them would be granted a licence (as mentioned above)