Windows 7 network issues

Hi, For some reason I have recently been having issues connecting to some websites such as microsoft, ebay, facebook etc. There is a red X over my connection icon and when I click on it, I am told I am not connected and connections are available, but underneath that it states I am connected to my router, only leaving me an option to disconnect.
If I open the network centre, it says I am not connected to a network but if I try to set up a new connection, I am told that I am already connected to the internet.
I cannot get online help from Microsoft or my internet provider as I cannot log on to their sites?
Any tips will be greatly received.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to DS!
    Are you wired or wireless?
    Have you tried turning the router off then on? Fully rebooted the PC?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi Stig,
    It's a wireless connection to my laptop. I've tried turning the router on and off several times and even managed to reboot it after I found the original instructions, but so far no luck.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try connecting your PC directly to the modem with a cable and see if that is working okay.... at least that way you can determine if its a router or a modem issue.
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Hi Stig,
    It's a wireless connection to my laptop. I've tried turning the router on and off several times and even managed to reboot it after I found the original instructions, but so far no luck.

Are you using the correct passkey in order to connect to your router?

Also, in your network properties, have you got, Obtain an IP address automatically enabled?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, For some reason I have recently been having issues connecting to some websites such as microsoft, ebay, facebook etc. There is a red X over my connection icon and when I click on it, I am told I am not connected and connections are available, but underneath that it states I am connected to my router, only leaving me an option to disconnect.
    If I open the network centre, it says I am not connected to a network but if I try to set up a new connection, I am told that I am already connected to the internet.
    I cannot get online help from Microsoft or my internet provider as I cannot log on to their sites?
    Any tips will be greatly received.

I have a similar problem.

The wireless signal always says "Identifying".
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem.

The wireless signal always says "Identifying".

Have you tried changing the wireless channel?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere in manage my wifi settings you can tell pc to delete or forget a profile of your wifi ssid. Do this and rescan and then renter password.

This
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere in manage my wifi settings you can tell pc to delete or forget the profile of your wifi ssid. Do this and rescan and then reenter password.

This often sorts out strange problems like rebooting a pc* does.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What make and model of router?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    There is a red X over my connection icon and when I click on it, I am told I am not connected and connections are available, but underneath that it states I am connected to my router, only leaving me an option to disconnect.

Can you click on that and see whether you are connected to your router ?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    FWIW, a red X through the monitor icon means your PC isn't connected to anything.

If your PC IS connected to the router but the router, in turn, isn't connected to the internet then you get the monitor icon with a yellow triangular "!" in it.

That suggests that you need to look at your PC as well as the router.
    Are the drivers for your wifi adapter up to date?
    Does this happen at a particular time such as, perhaps, when you open or close the screen of your laptop?
    Is there anything that might be interfering with the wifi signal?

Try downloading Inssider and use it to see if there's a lot of traffic on the same channel your wifi is on and, if there is, use a different channel.
    Also monitor the signal strength from your router to see if it fluctuates.

Your original post is a little misleading.
    Are you saying that you can be quite happily surfing the net but then, whenever you try to connect to these specific websites, your connection will drop?
    Does that happen ALL the time and ALWAYS with the same websites?

If it does then perhaps try using a different browser as a test or clearing the cashe and cookies from your existing browser in case something there is corrupt.

It could be a problem with your router dropping the connection to the PC as well but you really need to establish which device is at fault.
    If, for example, your laptop says there's no connection but you also have a smartphone that can still connect to the interweb via your router then it's likely the router is working properly and the fault lies with the PC whereas, conversely, if nothing can connect to the interweb then the fault is probably with the router.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to basics: is there a switch or function key which turns the wifi on and off? Make sure this is turned on.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't by any chance recently downloaded Internet Explorer 10 have you?

I downloaded IE10 as an "important update" a few days ago. I could not connect to the internet properly. I uninstalled it and went back to IE9 - no further problems.

If you look on the Microsoft Forums you will see masses of problems related to Internet Explorer 10. Just a thought.
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    You haven't by any chance recently downloaded Internet Explorer 10 have you?

I downloaded IE10 as an "important update" a few days ago. I could not connect to the internet properly. I uninstalled it and went back to IE9 - no further problems.

If you look on the Microsoft Forums you will see masses of problems related to Internet Explorer 10. Just a thought.

People have only had problems with IE10 because their computer has crapware that prevents IE10 from working.

Microsoft is now taking a hard line against rouge software.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have only had problems with IE10 because their computer has crapware that prevents IE10 from working.

Microsoft is now taking a hard line against rouge software.
    You like making such bold claims don't you?
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    You like making such bold claims don't you?

No, I've just had to sort out so many computers that have had crap on them. IE10 then works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I've just had to sort out so many computers that have had crap on them. IE10 then works.
    So you're broad statement is just limited to a few you've fixed? I had issues with IE10 on my own personal machine, which doesn't suffer from any "crapware".
    Forum Member
    So you're broad statement is just limited to a few you've fixed? I had issues with IE10 on my own personal machine, which doesn't suffer from any "crapware".

Nope, not just a few thank you.

If you've got your computer setup right, then IE10 will not have a problem, argue if you like, but you are the one who had the problem not me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not just a few thank you.

If you've got your computer setup right, then IE10 will not have a problem, argue if you like, but you are the one who had the problem not me.
    You are also the one who generalised everyone with issues with IE10, then the cause must be crapware.
    Forum Member
    You are also the one who generalised everyone with issues with IE10, then the cause must be crapware.

You should read other forums too, as all the problems so far that relate to IE10 not working has been down to software installed on a persons computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should read other forums too, as all the problems so far that relate to IE10 not working has been down to software installed on a persons computer.
    So you've checked the whole of the Internet to make that statement?

As for the OP, do you have another wireless device you can try on the wireless? That would show whether its the specific computer or the router.
    Forum Member
    So you've checked the whole of the Internet to make that statement?

As for the OP, do you have another wireless device you can try on the wireless? That would show whether its the specific computer or the router.

Have you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you?
    I've already seen a couple of issues with Flash compatibility and issues with Norton 360. People may complain about these products, but they don't classify under "crapware".
    Forum Member
    I've already seen a couple of issues with Flash compatibility and issues with Norton 360. People may complain about these products, but they don't classify under "crapware".

lol, Norton has been crapware for many years now, I think Peter should not have sold it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, Norton has been crapware for many years now, I think Peter should not have sold it.
    Clearly you're basing your opinion on Norton products of old, as Norton 360 isn't far behind the likes of Kaspersky.