Microsoft accidentally ships some Xbox One units early & then gives a gamer a ban.

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft has accidentally shipped a small number of Xbox Ones several weeks ahead of the official release date - and banned at least one gamer's new console from connecting to Xbox Live.

Source

MS really are a bunch of tools. :D

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Old news

Dude got an apology, his ban is being lifted and Target have given him a $150 voucher for the mix up.

Microsoft have also invited him to the official launch event as their guest.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft has accidentally shipped a small number of Xbox Ones several weeks ahead of the official release date - and banned at least one gamer's new console from connecting to Xbox Live.

Source

Target shipped it. And he was consoled banned (No online access) but he could still play single player.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ban will be lifted before launch day, MS have confirmed it.

To be honest that is a poor article. MS didn't make the mistake, a retailer did.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    microsoft DO have a legal requirement to not allow him online, since their release schedule was broken by idiot outsource sellers, therefore they should be censored in some way!

at least he has a bit of time to perfect his game play before others do :D
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it couldn't even play retail discs until day 1 patch. So shouldn't they have held that patch back till day before release
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previously discussed here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member

Source

Attempt to bash MS when they did no wrong, seems legit.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dezcore wrote: »
    Attempt to bash MS when they did no wrong, seems legit.
    I thought it was a microcosm of the launch. The early PR was terrible for Microsoft, as they allowed the world to think he'd been banned permanently and that he'd get a YouTube copyright strike for uploading the videos. Then they have a conversation with him and the bad things get reversed. However, it leaves some of us with a bad taste in our mouth that they even tried that stuff.

Especially using a DMCA copyright infringement notice to get his YouTube unboxing video taken down. It was a video he made himself of him opening his mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    who else would have been online to play against anyway? :D
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    pazza_73 wrote: »

The multitude of gaming press/media and MS employees who have had machines supplied to them in advance maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pazza_73 wrote: »

There was a good 100 or so online and that was around midnight his time. He posted a new Xbox feature where it listed games by popularity and it says how many people are playing it. Killer Instinct was most popular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one2escape wrote: »
    There was a good 100 or so online and that was around midnight his time. He posted a new Xbox feature where it listed games by popularity and it says how many people are playing it. Killer Instinct was most popular.

Yes 140 or so on Killer Instinct
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I thought it was a microcosm of the launch. The early PR was terrible for Microsoft, as they allowed the world to think he'd been banned permanently and that he'd get a YouTube copyright strike for uploading the videos. Then they have a conversation with him and the bad things get reversed. However, it leaves some of us with a bad taste in our mouth that they even tried that stuff.

Especially using a DMCA copyright infringement notice to get his YouTube unboxing video taken down. It was a video he made himself of him opening his mail.

This guy was actually dependent on youtube for his income, so banning his youtube video was doubly harsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    This guy was actually dependent on youtube for his income, so banning his youtube video was doubly harsh.

If the guys only income is youtube videos, he really shouldn't be buying a launch console :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    If the guys only income is youtube videos, he really shouldn't be buying a launch console :rolleyes:

Why not he makes more than minimum wage from it. It avoided him needing to get a student loan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This message brought to you by the Tory wing of DS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I just got the impression that you were suggesting he was complaining about a lack of income now as a direct result of MS taking his video down.

If all it takes is one video to be removed for him to complain then he should really think about his finances. But I'm guessing that isn't the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I just got the impression that you were suggesting he was complaining about a lack of income now as a direct result of MS taking his video down.
    I'd not heard that. I had heard that he was worried about having a copyright "strike". Three strikes out you're out, and even one strike is apparently quite a big deal with his university board - a bit like having a police caution on your record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouTube will report him to his Uni?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I don't know how he expected his university to find out.
    Forum Member

If all it takes is one video to be removed for him to complain then he should really think about his finances. But I'm guessing that isn't the case.

So why did you say the following?
    If the guys only income is youtube videos, he really shouldn't be buying a launch console

The guy lost money due to MS filing a malicious youtube copyright claim that is a big deal. It doesn't matter how much money, he still lost money

http://kotaku.com/the-guy-who-got-the-xbox-one-early-isnt-banned-for-lif-1461593586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    So why did you say the following?

I thought I made that clear already :confused: I got the impression it would greatly affect his income. But if he is in fact making a decent living off videos prior to this one, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Anyway, if the video was just an unboxing videos then I think it was wrong to take it down.
    Forum Member
    I thought I made that clear already :confused: I got the impression it would greatly affect his income. But if he is in fact making a decent living off videos prior to this one, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Anyway, if the video was just an unboxing videos then I think it was wrong to take it down.

Even if it made a small dent in his income, that is still the microsoft denying someone part of their income because of their maliciousness. The statement about protecting content holders on their part also has a wiff of BS about it. because they took down an unboxing video. not a video of the marketplace or a video of hidden on demand services in action.

Microsoft have also been freely sticking xbox one's in many Game Stores in this country, presumabally which can connect to xbox live unbanned.

Microsoft could have also pulled the plug on xbox one live until launch, thus not giving the banned message. Especially as press/dev's use a seperate version of xbox live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think pulling the plug on Live is a bit extreme instead of banning one console for a short period of time.

Anyway, maybe if the guy didn't start boosting about it on twitter, websites and youtube that he got one early then maybe MS may not have noticed and he wouldn't be in this situation. Only guessing.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, maybe if the guy didn't start boosting about it on twitter, websites and youtube that he got one early then maybe MS may not have noticed and he wouldn't be in this situation. Only guessing.

Exactly this. The build of Xbox One he was playing on was not the final build. If anything went wrong and he started shouting about it on the internet/Twitch (like he did!) then it would of reflected extremely badly on Microsoft through no fault of their own.

What did he expect to happen?