Prisoners

2»

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what did she mean by you were there? she heard his voice from other room?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had to ask my friend this too. I think it was that he had visited the woman before and by Joy saying 'you were there' he knew where to go.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Saw this the other day and thought it was the best film I've seen in ages, absolutely fantastic 10/10. It kept me on the edge of my seat right till the end. Can't wait to see it again.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely the best film I've seen this year.Two and a half hours went by in a flash.
    Great acting all round but the show was stolen by a brilliant performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Definitely the best film I've seen this year.Two and a half hours went by in a flash.
    Great acting all round but the show was stolen by a brilliant performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.

I agree, Jake stole it for me as well.
    There was a lot of unsaid emotion with him which I loved. I also loved his mannerisms and all the pent up emotion he had the whole way through
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he came accross almost like an anti hero at times

also thought hugh jackman was amazing in his scene with jake when hes trying to get answers on the start of the investigation.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this at the weekend and I found it quite mesmerising. The cinema was very busy but was mostly silent throughout the film.

It wasn't a feel-good film for sure, but it was quite gripping. I had read something about it making the audience question their morals and posing lots of difficult questions - however as much as this was partly true, it didn't quite get me thinking/reflecting to the same extent I thought it might.

There were some things I think could have been improved - as some people have already said, Keller Dover was a main character but it would have been good to showcase some others too. I think there were a few things that were thrown in to make it a bit more sinister when, on reflection, they perhaps needed more development - for example:
    The snakes in the boxes - just seemed to be there for shock value. I get they were part of the guy's abduction but it just felt like a prop to me.

There were also parts of the storyline that I felt weren't fully developed:
    The guy who was obsessed with the maze and the children's clothing - it seemed that they just threw in a 'weirdo' character to make you think it was him. I feel they should have developed that storyline further or maybe linked it up a little with something else. I know he was abducted by the couple but it just seemed like it was convenient to have some nutcase living round the corner to draft him in as a red herring. Likewise with the priest and the body in the cellar. I know they were linked but it just seemed a little bit of a tedious link/red herring that wasn't developed enough.

Also a couple more questions for anyone who has seen it:
    1. Why does nothing seemingly happen when Alex 'disappears'? Why does the Aunt seem to not care? It just seemed a bit convenient.
    2. What does happen to Alex? We never find out do we?
    3. Why do they choose to keep Alex alive I wonder? How did the other guy (with the snakes) escape? Why didn't they find him and kill him? Surely it was a bit risky?
    4. The location to me felt like it was a small, friendly, community. But it seemed like it was full of nutters/paedophiles. Or was it supposed to be set in a larger place and I misinterpreted it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think
    he had a syndrome of children who beleive they have been abducted in past or something
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    ratty0 wrote: »
    1. Why does nothing seemingly happen when Alex 'disappears'? Why does the Aunt seem to not care? It just seemed a bit convenient.
    2. What does happen to Alex? We never find out do we?
    3. Why do they choose to keep Alex alive I wonder? How did the other guy (with the snakes) escape? Why didn't they find him and kill him? Surely it was a bit risky?
    4. The location to me felt like it was a small, friendly, community. But it seemed like it was full of nutters/paedophiles. Or was it supposed to be set in a larger place and I misinterpreted it?
    1. Not sure about that one. She didn't seem too fussed about Bob Taylor (the guy with the snakes) escaping either.
    2. I think at the end we see Loki reading a newspaper saying that Alex is reunited with his real parents.
    3. Holly says near the end that they were kidnapping children to replace their own son who died of cancer, so that's probably why they kept them alive. Also the drugs retarded their development which meant they would be unlikely to give up any vital information even if they did escape.
    4. I think you're probably right there, it did seem a small, suburban area.

I was left a little confused after watching it. I found it a convoluted plot. I thought that
    Keller's father's suicide was supposed to have more to do with the story, but seemed to be left out after it was mentioned.

I'll have to watch it again for sure when it's released on DVD. Perhaps I'll pick up things I missed; it often happens with these intricate films. I wonder if there'll be a director's cut.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last week, i really enjoyed it and it is in the top 5 films i have seen this year.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a great film. Was it really 2.5 hours long? The time just flew by.

Dover certainly didn't seem like an anti hero to me. He had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. In fact I don't think there was a single character in the film other than the children who were anything other than unlikeable.

That being said, it was thought provoking. But even though I tried to put myself in Dovers position I just couldn't. In my mind he was as much an animal as the abductor.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this tonight. One of the best films i've seen this year and probably one of the best 'adult' films i've seen which we rarely get at the cinema nowadays for obvious reasons.

All the cast were great. Jackman acted his socks off, Dano pulled off the creepy weirdo extremely well, Melissa Leo proves yet again what an excellent character actor she is, but the standout for me was Gyllenhall. Fantastic actor and always has been. Thought he was brilliant in this. I liked that he didn't have a backstory. He had all those tattoos on his hands and neck, we literally didn't know anything about him.

Lots of twists and turns, didn't know what path it was taking me down or how it was going to end but i was along for the ride. This is a film that respects its audience and doesn't treat them for fools. It makes you think what would you do if you were Keller. Did what Keller do was right? Was it understandable? Should he be punished for it?

And that ending was great! Best ending to a film i've seen in years. That was the perfect ending to the film and the exact cut off point to end it at. You didn't need to see or be shown any more.

Probably a film that needs to be seen twice as because it's so intricate you miss things first time round. With all the crap we get at the cinema nowadays films like this are a rare breed. Highly, highly recommended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Saw this tonight. One of the best films i've seen this year and probably one of the best 'adult' films i've seen which we rarely get at the cinema nowadays for obvious reasons.

All the cast were great. Jackman acted his socks off, Dano pulled off the creepy weirdo extremely well, Melissa Leo proves yet again what an excellent character actor she is, but the standout for me was Gyllenhall. Fantastic actor and always has been. Thought he was brilliant in this. I liked that he didn't have a backstory. He had all those tattoos on his hands and neck, we literally didn't know anything about him.

Lots of twists and turns, didn't know what path it was taking me down or how it was going to end but i was along for the ride. This is a film that respects its audience and doesn't treat them for fools. It makes you think what would you do if you were Keller. Did what Keller do was right? Was it understandable? Should he be punished for it?

And that ending was great! Best ending to a film i've seen in years. That was the perfect ending to the film and the exact cut off point to end it at. You didn't need to see or be shown any more.

Probably a film that needs to be seen twice as because it's so intricate you miss things first time round. With all the crap we get at the cinema nowadays films like this are a rare breed. Highly, highly recommended.

great post, i 100% agree
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    My brother and I saw this last night.
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Watched this tonight. Loved it. Excellent performance from jake but Hugh in particular. Very difficult (emotions) film to watch at times. Ending was a bit frustrating for me, but all in all, top film!

My experience, also. :) very good film. It's a long film though, so be prepared for that if you plan to see it.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this recently and overall i thought it was good, but there was something that bugged me...
    I didnt understand the significance of the mazes and what that had to do with anything, people kept on drawing mazes and mentioning mazes like it was a big plot point, but it was never explained why at the end? does anyone have any ideas?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this last night on blu ray, and enjoyed it. It really kept me guessing and took some interesting twists and turns, and was superbly acted by all.

One thing puzzled me though -
    Near the end when one of the girls is in the hospital, and she looks at Keller and says 'You were there', and you see a (flashback?) shot of him leaving the house with the two girls.

I never really understood why she said 'you were there'.

Immidiately after that he leaves the hospital and goes to the Jones house..but it seemed to me that the scene threw suspicion on Keller himself, especially after he seemed to leave the hospital very quickly.
    Did I misread this or does anyone think it was intentional?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah that confused me a bit too, i think she overheard his voice when he went to visit the old women and do those odd jobs.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    yeah that confused me a bit too, i think she overheard his voice when he went to visit the old women and do those odd jobs.
    That's exactly what happened I think. He knew because it was just about the only place he'd visited (except his old home with Alex) since the kids disappeared.

I really enjoyed it but my girlfriend found it a bit too heavy/dark, probably due to the fact we have a young daughter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    That's exactly what happened I think. He knew because it was just about the only place he'd visited (except his old home with Alex) since the kids disappeared.

I really enjoyed it but my girlfriend found it a bit too heavy/dark, probably due to the fact we have a young daughter.

yeh must be a totally different experience for parents.
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just saw this last night, omg what a movie!! really enjoyed it.

We found it really gripping, what was syrprising was our opinions on Dovers actions, I am a parent and found it quite hard to watch.

Will need to watch it again to pick up the inner details :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night. Expected it to be a pretty good film,but wow it was absolutely brilliant! One of the best films I have seen in a long time. Literally sat with my mouth to the ground for the last hour or so!