BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Where are all these Charlton Heston docs, because I've not seen any of them.
    He's been mentioned for years simply because of the NRA thing, if it wasn't for that he (as himself rather than as an actor) wouldn't be on the radar at all.

Last doc I saw him in was the old Arena Orsen Welles doc, but that was as an actor commenting on Orsen and his work with him.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What dim wit was responsible for the schedule of these repeats. The episode numbers are all over the place
    No 2 On friday
    No 1 on Monday
    no 6 on tuesday
    no 7 on wednesday
    no 12 On thursday
    no 13 on friday
    mon 9th no 4
    tues 10th no 11
    Forum Member
    What dim wit was responsible for the schedule of these repeats. The episode numbers are all over the place
    No 2 On friday
    No 1 on Monday
    no 6 on tuesday
    no 7 on wednesday
    no 12 On thursday
    no 13 on friday
    mon 9th no 4
    tues 10th no 11

The order of the repeats is the least of my gripes about this program.
    Gawd knows what they're thinking of over in the BBC scheduling dept.
    I haven't checked the schedules, but I assumed they were topping or tailing a film with Talking Pictures featuring the lead actor.
    Talking pictures is probably being tacked on to whatever film they've found that's cheap to air and fits the slot.
    Forum Member
    Just started my PVR tool Bette Davis, Tony Curtis, Orson Welles, Dirk Bogarde and Alec Guiness are all on the iplayer server at the moment, get them before they're gone again.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed watching these, some more than others.

Dirk Bogarde amused me in that he had an air of, "I don't know what all the fuss is about."

Conversely, Alec Guinness started to "act" the moment he walked into the interviews.

Tony Curtis was excellent, I liked the way he talked about Marilyn Monroe, you could tell she was a pain to work with, turning up on set, literally hours late, never knowing her lines and the "thirty or forty takes," she needed to complete a scene sometimes.

What made my smile was that during the making of "Some Like it Hot" Billy Wilder the director, explained to Curtis and Jack Lemon;

"Remember, the first time Marilyn gets it right, that's the take we're gonna print!"
    Forum Member
    Just started my PVR tool Bette Davis, Tony Curtis, Orson Welles, Dirk Bogarde and Alec Guiness are all on the iplayer server at the moment, get them before they're gone again.

Bacall, Gene Kelly, Bergman and James Mason and on the server at the moment.
    get_iplayer if you want to cut out and keep, they'll go into my 'Talk' archive.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,929
    Forum Member
    For any of the regulars who watch Talking Pictures, this Saturday we've got a new one! Fred and Ginger :) It's on at 12.45pm, followed by 'Astaire and Rogers Sing the Great American Songbook' and the film 'Carefree.'
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For any of the regulars who watch Talking Pictures, this Saturday we've got a new one! Fred and Ginger :) It's on at 12.45pm, followed by 'Astaire and Rogers Sing the Great American Songbook' and the film 'Carefree.'

Great thanks. ;)
    Forum Member
    Great thanks. ;)

That's ok :) These are all over the place, we never know if and when they're going to be on!
    Forum Member

Cheers for that, PVR set.
    What number are we up to now?
    Wouldn't be surprised if the number of episodes has expanded again.

Might as well check for the last episode of BBC 2's Routemasters, that's been on the missing list for ages.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed that they only showed part of Bette Davis at the NFT. I was there on that Sunday afternoon in 1971, and plucked up the courage to stand up and ask her a question.

I would like to have had that memorable moment on tape, and to see myself at the tender age of 34. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed that they only showed part of Bette Davis at the NFT. I was there on that Sunday afternoon in 1971, and plucked up the courage to stand up and ask her a question.

I would like to have had that memorable moment on tape, and to see myself at the tender age of 34. ;)

Were you the one flirting with her? :D
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much of those NFT interviews, with various actors are still in the BBC archive?
    Not that it matters, we're highly unlikely to see them broadcast.
    Forum Member
    No, I asked her if she would liked to have been a director, she fixed me with a firm gaze and then said, "NO! because I care so much about what I do that I can just imagine rushing in and screaming, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT! but I would have liked to have produced, I rather like the idea of bossing all the men around." :D

She was on great form, with a terrific sense of humour, and looked better in the flesh than she did on the screen in her later films.
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much of those NFT interviews, with various actors are still in the BBC archive?
    Not that it matters, we're highly unlikely to see them broadcast.

I was very fortunate to see several of them, my favourite being Joan Fontaine, who told some very funny stories about sister Olivia, sadly it wasn't filmed. Others that I saw that weren't filmed were Frank Capra, (but I did get him to sign his autobiography) and William Wellman, who was wonderful but rather deaf. Luckily his son, William Wellman jnr was sitting behind me and yelled out the questions to him. I found John Huston and Vincente Minnelli quite boring, but Angela Lansbury was very entertaining she was interviewed by Rex Reed, and her interview was on TV. I am hoping that will be included in this series.
    Forum Member
    I was very fortunate to see several of them, my favourite being Joan Fontaine, who told some very funny stories about sister Olivia, sadly it wasn't filmed. Others that I saw that weren't filmed were Frank Capra, (but I did get him to sign his autobiography) and William Wellman, who was wonderful but rather deaf. Luckily his son, William Wellman jnr was sitting behind me and yelled out the questions to him. I found John Huston and Vincente Minnelli quite boring, but Angela Lansbury was very entertaining she was interviewed by Rex Reed, and her interview was on TV. I am hoping that will be included in this series.

Olivia and Joan fell out years ago, I think I read, and still don't talk to this day. They're still going strong, Olivia's 97 and Joan's 95!

The Bette Davis Talking Pictures was one of my favourites (along with David Niven) She seemed to have such a great sense of humour and was a great story teller, a very strong and clever woman. You're lucky you got to see her interview and ask her a question :)
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump Fred and Ginger at 12:45, should be on Iplayer soon enough and will disappears just a quickly.
    Followed by Fred and Ginger and the Great American songbook, then the film Carefree.
    Offbeat, tuneful Astaire-Rogers vehicle with a score by Irving Berlin. A humourless lawyer is worried because his fiancee keeps postponing their wedding day, so he arranges for her to see his best friend, a brilliant psychiatrist.
    Forum Member
    Was just about to bump this :)
    Forum Member
    Ginger seemed like a nice lady, making Cliff Michelmore an ice cream soda :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ginger seemed like a nice lady, making Cliff Michelmore an ice cream soda :D

My grandfather worked in Hollywood at the time and said he was very difficult to work with. He gave Ginger a terrible time. She had to rehearse and do take after take until her feet bled.
    Forum Member
    My grandfather worked in Hollywood at the time and said he was very difficult to work with. He gave Ginger a terrible time. She had to rehearse and do take after take until her feet bled.

Poor Ginger! Sounds like Fred was a total perfectionist who didn't take weakness from anyone in his films. Obviously didn't have as much fun making their films as it looked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Ginger! Sounds like Fred was a total perfectionist who didn't take weakness from anyone in his films. Obviously didn't have as much fun making their films as it looked.

Definitely not. They didn't get on at all.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always rate Ginger above Fred just because she could do what he did backwards and in heels. :D
    Forum Member

They hid it very well in interviews, I bet they said all that 'we got on well' and 'never fought' through gritted teeth!
    Forum Member
    I've just read that Ginger was paid less than some of the lesser performers in some of her films. Outrageous considering she was one of the main stars!