Was Married With Children America's funniest sitcom?

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Bud, Kelly, Peggy, Al, Marcy, Steve / Jeff

sorry this was meant to be in TV section :blush:

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Buck......
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.....
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    No.

It was ok, but very much a product of it's time and very obvious humour that hasn't really dated very well.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Probably Frasier for me but Soap is up there with them, although like Married With Children will look very dated now.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Loved My Wife And Kids so thats my shout

(I've PM'd the mods to ask them to move it to TV)
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a possible spinoff is in works and will focus on bud bundy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Don't forget Buck......

and lucky the dog
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    If i go back in time and stop Seinfeld, Frasier, M*A*S*H and The Simpsons being made then, sure. It's the funniest.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bilko - the greatest of them all. Loved it when Phil Silvers started ad libbing and the cast struggled to follow him:D
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taxi is the best for me, and although he would hate to read or hear anyone say it, it was the best because of Andy Kaufman.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say 'was' so do you mean 'was and is still to this day', or was as in during the late '80s and through the '90s? Either way, the answer's no. It was watchable, but nothing special. If it weren't for Christina Applegate, it probably would have sunk without trace.
  • calderyoncalderyon Posts: 4,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best for sure.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Married with children was excellent and didnt rely on canned laughter.
  • pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peaked in the middle seasons but faded badly after that.
    Some of my all time favourite comedy lines come from that show but overall isn't a timeless classic like Cheers or Taxi.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, it is one of the best american sitcoms of all time. It could really get away with being so OTT and outrageous, where very little sitcoms ever could as they move into Jump the shark territory. It did slightly out stay it's welcome and it was so apparent they ran out of ideas, but it never got to the point where i simply wanted to stop watching

It's writing wasn't as smart or sophisticated like a lot of sitcoms, but that was never the show's intention. It was pitched and born as the Anti-Cosby's. It was meant to be very childish, silly and unapologetic. If i wanted smart or witty, I'll watch Frasier or The Golden Girls. But if i wanted something silly and harmless, Married with Children fills that role.

I would love to see it return to UK television. I recall ITV 2, 3 or 4 airing it years ago. Hopefully another channel will air it or Netflix add it.
  • cragsbycragsby Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    Peaked in the middle seasons but faded badly after that.
    Some of my all time favourite comedy lines come from that show but overall isn't a timeless classic like Cheers or Taxi.

This! But Al Bundy is a TV icon, just a pity the show didn't have a proper finale after all those years.
  • albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's writing wasn't as smart or sophisticated like a lot of sitcoms, but that was never the show's intention. It was pitched and born as the Anti-Cosby's. It was meant to be very childish, silly and unapologetic. If i wanted smart or witty, I'll watch Frasier or The Golden Girls. But if i wanted something silly and harmless, Married with Children fills that role.

I would love to see it return to UK television. I recall ITV 2, 3 or 4 airing it years ago. Hopefully another channel will air it or Netflix add it.

I agree with that. For a long time I thought MWC was the funniest sitcom I had ever seen. Although I now believe Seinfeld, Frasier, The Simpsons, Curb are better quality MWC still remains my all time favourite. Its something I can put on and will always find funny no matter how many times I have seen an episode. Seasons 9 to 11 are the weakest but still very watchable. I have them all on DVD, later seasons from countries that released the entitre series.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albundy73 wrote: »
    Curb ...

- gets my vote, assuming it counts as a sitcom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the dvd box sets from season 3 they dropped the love and marriage theme and went with this

Married with children dvd season 3 onwards: http://youtu.be/n0lSf07uDfg
  • AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    albundy73 wrote: »
    I agree with that. For a long time I thought MWC was the funniest sitcom I had ever seen. Although I now believe Seinfeld, Frasier, The Simpsons, Curb are better quality MWC still remains my all time favourite. Its something I can put on and will always find funny no matter how many times I have seen an episode. Seasons 9 to 11 are the weakest but still very watchable. I have them all on DVD, later seasons from countries that released the entitre series.

Oh you've nicked my user name ;-)

Seriously where did you get the later season on dvd please?
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    on the dvd box sets from season 3 they dropped the love and marriage theme and went with this

Married with children dvd season 3 onwards: http://youtu.be/n0lSf07uDfg
    if i recall, mwc producer was told he'd have to pay well over the odds for to use the song for the dvds. in certain countries.

anyways for me its sledge hammer
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Probably Frasier for me but Soap is up there with them, although like Married With Children will look very dated now.

When I saw this thread I was going to suggest Soap. That program kills me.
    Nearly up there are Taxi, Cheers and Frasier.
    Married with Children is fine, but doesn't age well.

Never seen an episode of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm so can't comment on them.
    I will always have a soft spot for The Munsters and The Addams Family though.

I am about to start watching Modern Family, so I will see if I like that one.
  • AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    if i recall, mwc producer was told he'd have to pay well over the odds for to use the song for the dvds. in certain countries.

anyways for me its sledge hammer

MWC for me but sledge hammer was equally as funny ,and if memory serves me correctly they both used to be on late on a Thursday evening during the late 80' and early 90's.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Nope. Not even close. I could lots funnier before I even got to this. The joke's on this show got very old very quickly.

For me, it will always be the first ten years or so of The Simpsons. But if you want to be pedantic and go with live action, I'd say Soap or Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL_Bundy wrote: »
    Oh you've nicked my user name ;-)

Seriously where did you get the later season on dvd please?

I Got all 11 seasons in a box together off amazon about 3 years ago. I think it cost about £30.