Artists who have wrote songs for others (but bizarre choices)

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was shocked to find out that Alison Moyet co-wrote 'If this is love' by the Saturdays! As well as "lend" her former group Yazoo's sample to compliment the track. Well I never.

I did also hear that Lady Gaga wrote 'telephone' FOR Britney, Britney rejected it and then Gaga recorded it with Beyonce.

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I was shocked to find out that Alison Moyet co-wrote 'If this is love' by the Saturdays! As well as "lend" her former group Yazoo's sample to compliment the track. Well I never.

I did also hear that Lady Gaga wrote 'telephone' FOR Britney, Britney rejected it and then Gaga recorded it with Beyonce.

I didn't know about The Saturdays track (though I was always aware of the Yazoo sample).
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I didn't know about The Saturdays track (though I was always aware of the Yazoo sample).

It's quite random isn't it? I was just looking through the credit notes of 'if this is love' (because I was sure it was sampled from Yazoo) and I was shocked to see of Moyet's involvement! Not "dissing" the Saturdays but really thought they wouldn't be her cup of tea :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I think it very doubtful that Moyet actually sat in a room whilst the song was written. I suspect she is credited on the track because of the "Situation" sample, which she co-wrote.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't madonna write a Song for gary barlow? Bizzare at the time as it was many years before she became an official anglophile
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it very doubtful that Moyet actually sat in a room whilst the song was written. I suspect she is credited on the track because of the "Situation" sample, which she co-wrote.

Who knows, this was what I read though:
    "If This Is Love" is a song performed by British-Irish recording girl group The Saturdays from their debut studio album, Chasing Lights (2008). It was co-written by Joe Belmaati, Michaela Breen, Vince Clarke, Mich Hansen, Alison Moyet, John Reid, Remee and Ina Wroldsen. The song was produced by Belmaati in collaboration with Cutfather. The track samples a heavily-sythesised backing rhythm from Yazoo's 1982 song "Situation".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I think that probably in the terms of allowing them to use the sample, both Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet got equal songwriting credits - presumably because they get more cash that way. But I might be wrong.

As for songwriting for others, I was always suprised that Dido wrote "I'm Not A Girl..." for Britney.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard them yet but Pink wrote a couple of songs for Cher's new album.
  • mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie Minogues,' spinning around 'was written by Paula Abdul initially for her own album but then given to kylie
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson wrote a song for One Direction's album which I thought was a strange mix.

Diana Vickers also wrote a song which was used as a duet for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias.
  • XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote a song for Jamelia about a karaoke night I had with the girls.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found it a bit weird that Coldplay's Chris Martin co-wrote that song with Jamelia. Also Pixie Lott writing a song for Alexandra was a bit random too...
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Morrison writing for Olly Murs was another weird one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyndi Lauper wrote a track for Steps back in the day
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find it weird when I see Simon Cowell's name on the writing credits for Leona Lewis' Footprints In The Sand. But I don't think he actually wrote any of the lyrics, he just came up with the concept of the song.

It's also quite weird that Amelle Berrabah has a songwriting credit on Mutya Buena's solo album (seeing as she replaced her in the Sugababes). Mutya wasn't happy about it and forced Amelle to use a fake name on the writing credits.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Didn't madonna write a Song for gary barlow? Bizzare at the time as it was many years before she became an official anglophile

It was a song she wrote and recorded for herself for her Bedtime Stories album but missed the final cut. You can hear her version on youtube. Years later the official story was that she was a fan of Take That and gave it to Gary hence how "Love Wont Wait" ended up on his solo debut.

Enrique Iglesias has actualy had it happen to him many times that songs he's co-written for himself but missed the cut of his albums for whatever reason have ended up being taken up by others.

"The Way" by American Idol runnerup Clay Aiken was the first. He also had one song he wrote with Guy Chambers translated into Italian as "Un Nuovo Giorno" and released in opera style by Andrea Bocelli. The English version was recorded by Spice Girl Melanie C as "First Day of Your Life" and was a big hit in continental Europe. Songs co-written by Enrique and Greg Alexander of the New Radicals for Enrique's Seven album ended up being recorded by an early noughties lineup of The Hollies, infact they even cover him on the album.

The closest he's ever been to specificaly writing for another artist is writing Jennifer Lopez's "Dance Again" with Redone as a duet between him and JLO. Everyone involved felt that it suited better as a song for a woman and they let her have it.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson wrote a song for One Direction's album which I thought was a strange mix.

Diana Vickers also wrote a song which was used as a duet for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias.

Not really when you think they sang one of her songs on X factor and the tour

Tom Fletcher from McFly and Ed Sheeran also wrote tracks for their album
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Lana Del Rey didn't specifically write Ghetto Baby for Cheryl Cole but those two in the sam sentence is an oddity.
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samantha Fox co-wrote an All Saints song!
    Natalie Appleton co-wrote the track "Dreams" with Samantha Fox. Fox said she is credited on the song as "Karen Wilkin" because All Saints refused to record the song if she used her real name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber wrote one of Fantasia's songs. That is a truly bizarre mix.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulu wrote or co-wrote a song that Tina Turner recorded. It was called 'I Don't Want To Hurt No More'. I can't remember if it was specifically written for Tina or Lulu wrote it for herself and somehow Tina acquired it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I never knew about the Saturdays song although I knew about the sample. I did know about Telephone though.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elvis Costello wrote a whole album for Wendy James of Transvision vamp fame
  • PatsyStonePatsyStone Posts: 21,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76EAS_Ijy1Y

I had no idea this was Madonna's song which she gave to Gary Barlow!
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "To Love Somebody" was originally written by the Gibb brothers for Otis Redding, but he turned it down, so the Bee Gees recorded it themselves.
This discussion has been closed.