Can a cat tell the sex of another cat if it's been neutered?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I believe that cats can tell the sex of another cat by it's scent.

I have an non neutered female cat and have been told that the problems I am having introducing a new neutered female to the household is because it's another girl and getting a boy would have been better.

But how can she tell it's sex? Having been doctored and also never coming into heat, she, presumably, doesn't have a "girl smell".

I doubt cats can tell just by looking at each other like we usually can, as the different sexes look the same.

Does anybody know? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To star with any living thing can tell if a male cat has had the snip, as with a snipped cat it will have a scent but for a full male cat your hat will fall of even if your not wearing it. Any cat will tell if a male has been done as a snipped cat will have a much different energy that will be picked up on. I don't think for one moment any cat will understand why any other cat is putting out a different energy, only that it will be stronger or weaker so they have the top cat and the rest who will be defined by their energy or lack of it. Take notice of all the time cats will stare and test with noises before making any move as that will save both cats from being hurt for no reason but can decide who is the dominant cat. Only when two cats with equal energy and a need to dominate will a full fight break out.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i've noticed that my two cats (they are both females by the way) do stare and test with noises before making any move.