Marvel's The Avengers (26/04/2012)

JayJay Posts: 244
Administrator
I searched through the Movies forum and couldn't find a general discussion/round-up thread for The Avengers news (now titled 'Avengers Assemble' in the UK!) so thought I'd create one myself.

[news]- 'The Avengers' to be told through Captain America, Joss Whedon reveals
- 'Avengers' dwarfs other Marvel films, says special effects chief
- [highlight]'The Avengers' review:[/highlight] Marvel's mightiest heroes assemble on screen

Teasers:

- 'The Avengers' trailer launches: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America unite
- 'The Avengers' extended Super Bowl trailer sees Marvel's finest unite
- The Avengers trailer: Final teaser for Marvel's superhero epic debuts
- 'The Avengers': Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow interrogated - video
- 'The Avengers': Iron Man and Loki square off in new video
- [highlight]'The Avengers' Exclusive:[/highlight] Thor, Captain America battle aliens
- [highlight]NEW![/highlight] 'The Avengers' preview: 10 teasers for Marvel's superhero epic

The Avengers will arrive in theatres on April 26 in the UK and on May 4 in the US.[/news] So what are our hopes for the movie? Which superhero are we most looking forward to seeing in action? Discuss here! :)

Out of all of the previews released thus far, the Super Bowl trailer has definitely been my favourite. Which teasers have been yours?

What did you think of The Avengers? 327 votes

Epic
45% 148 votes
Excellent
36% 118 votes
Good
11% 38 votes
Average
3% 13 votes
Poor
3% 10 votes

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping it will be a enjoyable summer blockbuster. Though we still have no
    idea which comic villains Loki's "army" will be made up of (Skrulls? Frost Giants? Kree? Muspelheim
    demons? Walter the Softy and his gang? :D ).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really hoping its good, although the silly name change has actually put me off a bit.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im Not liking captain americas new costume, looks a bit dodgy from what ive seen, i think they should have kept it like it was in his film.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that new Avengers poster is one of the worst Photoshop jobs I've ever seen. Most of the characters are lit differently, and Captain America appears to have grown to Giant Man proportions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Jay Seery wrote: »
    I searched through the Movies forum and couldn't find a general discussion/round-up thread for The Avengers news (now titled 'Avengers Assemble' in the UK!) so thought I'd create one myself.

Please tell me you're joking about the title change? If they've really changed the title to "Avengers Assemble" then that's one of the worst title changes i've ever seen. It doesn't even really make sense without a comma between the words...

What was wrong with 'The Avengers'? That sounds infinitely better!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Avengers Assemble? Really?

If it's a dud you can just see the headlines, can't you (Avengers a shambles, etc).

btw - just seen that new poster - Jesus wept.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was renamed so people wouldn't mix it up with the 60s TV series, also been told it's the group's catchphrase, but I agree it's an awful name for the film.
  • JayJay Posts: 244
    Administrator
    Agree re: the UK name - it sounds pretty awful.

Here's the newest (just released) trailer:

[news]The Avengers trailer: Final teaser for Marvel's superhero epic debuts[/news]There looks to be quite a bit of reused footage from the previous trailers but the unseen bits looks pretty awesome. Thoughts?

Have updated the opening post with this trailer too, btw. Feel free to ask if anyone wants anything added.
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a shame about the name change but every time I've spoken about this film to somebody unfamiliar with the comics, they always think I'm talking about the '60s TV series; it's not too surprising they have altered the name.

Still all kinds of excited for this film. It's going to be awesome!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK name is awful. Can't believe that the studios would think people will get it mixed up with the 60's show and movie.

The Avengers Initiative sounds better than assemble if they have to change the title.

Looks Like Robert Downey Jnr will be getting the best lines in the movie. hoped they saved some and not put them all in the trailers.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Stupid name, cool trailer.

Really wish they hadn't replaced Ed Norton.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Stupid name, cool trailer.

Why, he was bloody awful!:confused:
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too! Although it'll be interesting to see what Ruffalo brings to the table. He's been great in the movies of his I've seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if only bill bixby were still alive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wasn't bothered, but the new trailer has me foaming! It looks absolutely awesome. My favourite thing? The new Hulk. Steals the trailer for me personally.

Can't wait. :)
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    Why, he was bloody awful!:confused:
    Yeah, that was a case of "don't make Hulk calm. You wouldn't like him when he's calm".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    UK name is awful. Can't believe that the studios would think people will get it mixed up with the 60's show and movie.

The Avengers Initiative sounds better than assemble if they have to change the title.

Couldn't they have just called it "Marvel's The Avengers" with the "Marvel" part being on the poster in small writing just above the main title? That would have been far better/neater and more in line with what the film is called on the rest of the planet...plus it wouldn't have looked as daft on my Blu Ray shelf:p

I can't believe that anyone would be able to get the film confused with a show from the 1960s, it's quite obvious from the trailers and posters what kind of film it is.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    Why:confused:

Because I post my opinions and not other peoples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please tell me they haven't changed the title in the UK. Please please please.

That awful title is enough to make me buy the Region 1 bluray when it's released. "Avengers Assemble"? WTF??
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    The new trailer does look great although I don't like the new name either.I think most people will still end up calling it The Avengers despite the name change for the UK!

I thought they tried to get Edward Norton back for The Avengers but he wouldn't do it so they had to recast the part!
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    mr_me wrote: »
    Please tell me they haven't changed the title in the UK. Please please please.

That awful title is enough to make me buy the Region 1 bluray when it's released. "Avengers Assemble"? WTF??

Not the first time this has happened- witness the
    American comic "Steed and Mrs. Peel" (because
    Marvel didn't want them to print a US comic
    called "The Avengers").
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    It is a stupid name for the UK.

If they must change it, they could have taken their cue from the trailer and called it Avengers Initiative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Really not fussed on Mark Ruffalo but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt ,

but what I'm really not liking if the way the Hulk looks, he looks more cartoony like Ang Lee's Hulk rather than the Version from The Incredible Hulk (2008) which I thought was far superior
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    The new trailer does look great although I don't like the new name either.I think most people will still end up calling it The Avengers despite the name change for the UK!

I thought they tried to get Edward Norton back for The Avengers but he wouldn't do it so they had to recast the part!

Norton has a bad rep in Hollywood. I remember Anthony Hopkins saying he was a prick to work with on set of Red Dragon, yet I do rate him as an actor. He did want to return, but negotiations broke down with Marvel. It certainly would have flown a hell of a lot better with Norton returning as Hulk, especially as Hulk is the film that is the least mentioned in the Marvel CU, and the only one that isn't getting its own sequel (though another worry of mine is after the spectacle of the Avengers, won't seeing Iron Man, Thor and Cap A alone again rather anticlimatic? Unless they use it to introduce Ant Man etc).That said, Ruffalo is looking good in the part.
    But seriously. Who the hell is going to see a poster for the Avengers, with Iron Man shooting things, Thor blasting things, Cap A with his shield, Black Widow looking hot (dayum does SJ look hot in this movie) Hawkeye with his bow and Samuel L Jackson looking serious, and think "oh, they've made a movie of a show that was on back in the 60s." The name change seems pointless and actually sucks. The Avengers sounds much better. One wonders what they were smoking when they made this decision.
    One word for the trailer: awesome. I think I'm even more excited for this than TDKR now!!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The costume for Captain America is a disappointment.
    He now makes it all look a bit 'Power Rangers'.

Come to think of it, it's not just Captain America's costume, the title 'Avengers Assemble' gives it even more of a Power Rangers vibe.

I thought superhero films were supposed to be moving away from the kiddie fare image nowadays?
    It was an image that these sorts of films took a long time to move away from, but now feel like they're starting to move back to that sort of corny children film type feel again.