Parking at the O2 arena

simonnsimonn Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone been to the O2 in the last couple of months. I'm trying to avoid paying the £20 at car park 1. I've heard car park 4 is a lot cheaper, meant for cinema users, or there's one at North Greenwich Tube, though on other boards people wonder whether the regulations/charges may have changed. Anyone got a recent experience to share?

Comments

• soapboyz2005soapboyz2005 Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I suggest parking in Tunnel Avenue, Greenwich, right by the A2... it's only a 10 minute walk (or a quick bus ride from Blackwall Lane) and won't cost a penny. It also means you won't get stuck in the rush to leave the car parks, and you'll be on your way home in no time if you need to go back thru Greenwich/to Woolwich or get on the A2.
  • simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest parking in Tunnel Avenue, Greenwich, right by the A2... it's only a 10 minute walk (or a quick bus ride from Blackwall Lane) and won't cost a penny. It also means you won't get stuck in the rush to leave the car parks, and you'll be on your way home in no time if you need to go back thru Greenwich/to Woolwich or get on the A2.

Cheers for that, I'll have a look! What time would I need to be there on a big concert night?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Car parking is free (I forget which car park number) for people going to the Vue cinema in the O2.

Take your car park exit ticket to the Vue staff and once you show them a valid cinema ticket, they will swap it for a pre-paid car park exit voucher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brob1 wrote: »
    Car parking is free (I forget which car park number) for people going to the Vue cinema in the O2.

Take your car park exit ticket to the Vue staff and once you show them a valid cinema ticket, they will swap it for a pre-paid car park exit voucher.

Therein lies the problem, I'm not going to the cinema! I'm going to see a gig.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it will take ages to leave the car park, having seen the queues after many gigs!

I suggest finding a nearby carpark or street and taking a bus there and walking back (buses are also likely to be rather packed), such as the suggestion above.

Forget the taxis too... or just hang about at the venue until everyone else has gone (but a lot of other people also wait for the same reason)!

Other option is to take the boat, which is very quick and park near one of the piers. You'll pay for this, but it's a very enjoyable journey and if the gig was good there's always a nice atmosphere on it.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    We went to the o2 in january, thankfully we stayed at the Holiday Inn across the road so we walked :p, but judging by the cars queueing to get out, it would be proabbly be quicker to park somewhere in manchester and get the train :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd, when I saw the Foo's there we got out no problem, the big queue was the one to get out of the venue itself by foot! Must've taken 20 minutes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    I was there in December last year, altough I was on a coach, It took us nearly 45 mins to exit the car park.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    simonn wrote: »
    Odd, when I saw the Foo's there we got out no problem, the big queue was the one to get out of the venue itself by foot! Must've taken 20 minutes!

Strange, maybe it depends on the type of show - can't see why though. We went down the path parallel to the o2 carpark and david beckhams football academy (Westparkside according to Google maps). There was only us 3 and this couple (of which the woman was totally out of her head singing spice girls songs and the guy was attempting to keep her from falling into the road :D)

We then walked over to this 24 hour Tescos/Sainsburys, bought food, went back to the hotel and the traffic around the roundabout was still heaving. Lucky for us haha