Is Tom Daley Gay

Comments

• methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Who cares if Tom is gay or not honestly some people have so little going on in their lives that they can always find time to speculate over a persons sexuality. It's 2012 not 1912 yes people are gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Who cares if Tom is gay or not honestly some people have so little going on in their lives that they can always find time to speculate over a persons sexuality. It's 2012 not 1912 yes people are gay.

100% agree
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »

Then why is it negative to discuss it?

It's a paradox of logic to say 'There's nothing wrong with being gay' and then insisting nobody ever discuss it.

It's completely counter to the interests of the gay rights movement that we allow people to make this a 'taboo' issue as they have done.

I can't understand why some people don't see it as an issue that the very second homosexuality is brought up it's immediately closed down as a subject or talking point. Is that supposed to enhance equality in some way?

How can you claim to want homosexuality treated 'normally' by society if you insist on it being completely taboo, unlike heterosexuality?
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is, but I don't think he'll come out until his career is over. Too much money to be made on being a 'heartthrob' for the ladies to come out now.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    If he is, it's his business, and I question the mental state of the voyeurs who are fascinated by his sexual orientation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is, it's his business, and I question the mental state of the voyeurs who are fascinated by his sexual orientation.

You think it's strange people are curious as to someone's sexual orientation?

So if a man sees someone and they think 'she's hot' you'd think them odd?

Or do you think the 'She's hot' is underlined with 'but I have no desire ever to have sex with that person and if I ever was in the company of her I would not even try to enquire as to the possibility because that would be odd' ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite sure, when my straight friends see a glamour model, or whatever, they often think 'I'd love to have sex with her'.

Are we assuming we do this and think this with absolutely no thought as to her sexuality at all?
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »

So if a man sees someone and they think 'she's hot' you'd think them odd?

Or do you think the 'She's hot' is underlined with 'but I have no desire ever to have sex with that person and if I ever was in the company of her I would not even try to enquire as to the possibility because that would be odd' ?

I do think it strange when said person has informed people that he is not gay. You should therefore take their word for it and stop trying to out them or suggest that they are lying.

Accept that he's not and move on.
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously? LOL...
    Sex, sexuality, and being curious as to what people are is very natural. Threads like this make me laugh when people come in and try and sound better than everyone else by saying it's wrong or weird to be asking such questions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite sure, when my straight friends see a glamour model, or whatever, they often think 'I'd love to have sex with her'.

Are we assuming we do this and think this with absolutely no thought as to her sexuality at all?

I doubt they do as the assumption is that she is straight. You are assuming he is gay because he's a bit camp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    I doubt they do as the assumption is that she is straight. You are assuming he is gay because he's a bit camp.

So it's fine to assume someone is straight, but not that they're gay?
    Forum Member

Yes.

And not just sexual orientation, but any private/personal aspect to an individual's life, unless there's a justification based on possible wrongdoing/illegality etc..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

And not just sexual orientation, but any private/personal aspect to an individual's life, unless there's a justification based on possible wrongdoing/illegality etc..

So when you're interested in someone you only care if you're orientational compatible if you suspect they've done something wrong?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THis is the very heart of matter.

Assuming someone is straight? Not a problem?

Yet reverse that and suddenly we should only assume someone is gay if we suspect wrong-doing. It's absolutely perverse in logic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's fine to assume someone is straight, but not that they're gay?

It's not when the person has publicly stated he isn't. The guy is only a young man, we hardly know ourselves at that age and you think it's fine to suggest his sexual orientation judged on a couple of interviews you've seen. He's also a sportsman, not some popstar conning young girls into thinking they are straight otherwise record sales would go down. Leave the guy alone.
    Forum Member
    So when you're interested in someone you only care if you're orientational compatible if you suspect they've done something wrong?

I'd be interested in a person's sexual orientation if they were gay for example, while being homophobic, which is often the case among politicians for instance, because it demonstrates hypocrisy.

As far as being compatible, I harbour no delusions of being in relationships with celebrities, so I don't waste my time speculating on such matters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is when the person has publicly stated he isn't. The guy is only a young man, we hardly know ourselves at that age and you think it's fine to suggest his sexual orientation judged on him clowning about when being interviewed on TV.

Why is it any different to assuming he's straight?

I don't get this. We're all 'for' equality, apparently. Yet as soon as someone equates the two orientations, it's wrong.

Would you chastise someone for speculating he had a girlfriend?

If not, why not?

P.S...you already haven't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I'd be interested in a person's sexual orientation would be if they were gay for example, while being homophobic, which is often the case among politicians for instance, because it demonstrates hypocrisy.

As far as being compatible, I harbour no delusions of being in relationships with celebrities, so I don't waste my time speculating on such matters.

But you waste your time on those who do waste their time on such matters?

Classic 'this is so unimportant I'll spend a significant proportion of my time telling you how unimportant it is' argument.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it any different to assuming he's straight?

I don't get this. We're all 'for' equality, apparently. Yet as soon as someone equates the two orientations, it's wrong.

Would you chastise someone for speculating he had a girlfriend?

If not, why not?

P.S...you already haven't.

Why are you using a young sportsman who from what I can see has done no harm to anyone just so you can push your agenda?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you using a young sportsman who from what I can see has done no harm to anyone just so you can push your agenda?

Answer the question.

Why is it fine to speculate someone is straight, but not gay?
    Forum Member
    But you waste your time on those who do waste their time on such matters?

Classic 'this is so unimportant I'll spend a significant proportion of my time telling you how unimportant it is' argument.

Questioning the validity of a debate is perfectly justified

It's certainly more constructive than wondering if Tom Daley's sexual orientation means one has a better chance of hooking up with him, which quite frankly, is largely delusional
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answer the question.

Why is it fine to speculate someone is straight, but not gay?

No-one speculates if anyone is straight, so there is no question to answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one speculates if anyone is straight, so there is no question to answer.

Someone has in this thread. Yet you didn't comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that people are even equating being gay as something that's harmful or damaging or hurtful to someone, shows exactly what their agenda is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Questioning the validity of a debate is perfectly justified

It's certainly more constructive than wondering if Tom Daley's sexual orientation means one has a better chance of hooking up with him, which quite frankly, is largely delusional

Yet this issue of delusion doesn't seem to bother people elsewhere. Unless each time you overhear a 'phwoar' buy a builder or someone perusing FHM, you rush over to chastise them over their fanciful delusion and question why they are interested in the sexuality of the person or image that they're lusting over.

It's just another typical 'only an issue if it's the gays' issue.
This discussion has been closed.