Adele: Golden Globes. Really Adele, just popped out...knees up mother brown!!!

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Probably 'Another Way To Die', Jack White's duet with Alicia Keys from the previous Bond film, Quantum of Solace.

Have to say, personally, Skyfall is the best Bond song of the 21st century, best one since The World Is Not Enough. Perhaps that's not saying much, because I found Chris Cornell's 'You Know My Name' to be utterly forgettable and Madonna's 'Die Another Day' was awful.

Oh, I rather liked that - it's one of the few Bond intros that I actually watch instead of fast-forwarding through. Mind you, that might be because the graphics are so brilliant.

As for Adele's offering, I haven't heard it all the way through but it does sound rather over-blown and turgid and she sings in a most bizarre accent.

I remember one of the posters over on the film board confidently predicted months ago that she'd not only get nominated but win the Oscar so I'll be interested to see how it pans out.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Skyfall is a good song.

Would be better if Adele could pronounce the letter "L"

Otherwise it sounds like Skyfawwwwww
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Did she go out, or did she go out out ? :D
    She sounds like Micky Flanagan !
    Is it Jon Richardson who said she sounds like she's singing about "Scaffold" ?
    Some people do over exaggerate their accent though, for some reason.
    I kept wondering why she kept wittering on about crumble in that song. She was probably thinking of scoffing a load of it.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it and I thought she was fab....what a poke in the eye to all those slim and perfect wannabes - Taylor swift looked utterly aghast! Hahahaha! I'm not a particular adele fan...but lovely to see someone not caught up in the crock of self congratulation that is Hollywood.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    I don't sound posh, not want her too, just a legible accent would be fine.

You have clearly confused good pronunciation and communication skills with having a posh accent

Her pronounciation and communication skills are fine, good enough for you to have understood everything she said obviously.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it and I thought she was fab....what a poke in the eye to all those slim and perfect wannabes - Taylor swift looked utterly aghast! Hahahaha! I'm not a particular adele fan...but lovely to see someone not caught up in the crock of self congratulation that is Hollywood.

Totally agree, and she looked gorgeous. And Taylor Swift's face was hilarious!

Congrats to Adele. :cool:
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

I thought she was great, she's just being natural. The Taylor Swift 'look' made it twice as enjoyable I must admit.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;To me, she meant she didn't expect to win, so she was just enjoying the night out. As a new Mum she might not have been out much socially since she had her baby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Utterly ridiculous snob thread.

Dear OP, do tell us which other regional accents you hate, I'd love to know. :rolleyes:

I'll let you take a wild guess jaded where I am coming from *looks around wildly waiting for JR to get me*
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed up to watch the Globes, I thought that her speech was great, she seemed shocked to win and the speech was straight from the heart...everyone except for Taylor was laughing with Adele. I'm pleased that she won and hope that she will sing at the Oscars, she is talented and likeable.

Its also amazing that her sons name hasn't been revealed. This shows that she has some great friends who manage to keep their lips sealed and a manager who doesn't reveal everything as a "source".

Just a note, was the friend the wife of Robbie Williams, she mentioned her name and said they had both just had babies...and she looked a little like his wife..I might be wrong but wondered if anyone else noticed.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I cringed when I saw her on the news this morning:yawn:
    And the song that won was terrible. Possibly the worst Bond song ever (It's a cross between Skyfall and that Jack White abomination).
    Er...it IS Skyfall. ;)
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    What on earth do you mean? The song is Skyfall - what Jack White 'abomination'? Oh, and I don't think it's the worst Bond song by a long way.

Think the poster may have meant it's possibly the worst bond song ever, either that or the Jack White song.
    I thought she was great, she's just being natural. The Taylor Swift 'look' made it twice as enjoyable I must admit.:D

I will have to check that out. I'm not a huge fan of Adele nor do I dislike Taylor Swift, but I love when celebs get caught out in such ways at award shows :D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    I stayed up to watch the Globes, I thought that her speech was great, she seemed shocked to win and the speech was straight from the heart...everyone except for Taylor was laughing with Adele. I'm pleased that she won and hope that she will sing at the Oscars, she is talented and likeable.

Its also amazing that her sons name hasn't been revealed. This shows that she has some great friends who manage to keep their lips sealed and a manager who doesn't reveal everything as a "source".

Just a note, was the friend the wife of Robbie Williams, she mentioned her name and said they had both just had babies...and she looked a little like his wife..I might be wrong but wondered if anyone else noticed.

True.

She still refused to reveal his name when she spoke to reporters afterwards.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »

Cazzz, yes. it was Ayda, I read it somewhere earlier.

ETA - http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/golden-globes-for-adele-and-les-mis-1
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do cringe a bit at her acceptance speeches.
    She kind of reminds me of Alan Carr up there.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Cazzz, yes. it was Ayda, I read it somewhere earlier.

ETA - http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/golden-globes-for-adele-and-les-mis-1

thanks for that..I hadn't read it anywhere so was on the ball for 3am this morning!

I had no idea they were friends...but there again Adele keeps things quiet and I have no idea about Ayda either (and good on them for not doing the celeb friend route), Makes me more impressed with them.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love Skyfall and I love Adele

she made the best speech of the night ie no cringe worthy tears and no thanking jesus and she doesnt take herself seriously

Love her!

Also i love her down to earth accent
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Adele is just down to earth unlike some other singers. Just because she hasn't forgotten her roots doesn't mean she's any less of a singer or a person - and I think it's fantastic that she hasn't revealed the name of her child, unlike others who tried to sell the enture conception/pregnancy/birth story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people criticising her? Shes doing us Brits proud! I am so proud for her! Good on her!
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    ;To me, she meant she didn't expect to win, so she was just enjoying the night out. As a new Mum she might not have been out much socially since she had her baby.
    I watched some of it last night and that's what it looked like to me. New mum on her first big night out that just happens to be the Golden Globes with Daniel Craig and his missus sitting at your table. I was sure the Les Mis song would win, maybe she was too. Anyway, I loved her reaction and speech.:D
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Strict wrote: »
    Why are people criticising her? Shes doing us Brits proud! I am so proud for her! Good on her!

I agree, it doesn't make sense to me, especially when it is so obvious how talented she is.
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Do people still actually talk like that in London? Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better? I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

Oh, and we really believe you just happened to pop out with a mate and end up at the Golden Globes with an award in your hand.

Nothing wrong with a regional/London accent [especially as one doesn't speak in dulcet tones, oneself :D]. But.... in my very humble pleb-like opinion, Ms Adele overdoes it a bit. No disrespect otherwise implied ;)
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I wonder what sort of welcome Adele will get at the Brit awards this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Adele has always spoken like that. Why should she change just because she's got a bit of fame and money? How small minded to suggest she should.
  • rubyred25rubyred25 Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele is being herself and why should she change? Her talent speaks for itself alone..The best moment of the Golden Globes was Taylor Swift's face. Priceless!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    I wonder what sort of welcome Adele will get at the Brit awards this year.

I think they'll be rolling out the red carpet for her in an attempt to make up for last year.