Argos TV to close

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?39984-Executives-Propose-the-Closure-of-Argos-TV

No other information on when the channel will close.

Hope some thing better replaces it on freeview movie4men would be nice.

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?39984-Executives-Propose-the-Closure-of-Argos-TV

Not at all surprising given the state of the high street. You have to wonder whether this is indicative of bigger problems at the chain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A local Argos shop closed just after Christmas. I was a bit surprised because it was quite a busy shop.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argos as a business is in good enough shape, but they are making changes to take account of the changing retail landscape which include the closure of many smaller outlets.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That did not last very long some people said it won't.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »

Isn't Argos TV on Freeview just a part time channel (sure I saw somewhere it was just on in the evenings for 4 or 5 hours or something like that). I doubt a slot like that would appeal to anything other than another shopping channel.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Isn't Argos TV on Freeview just a part time channel (sure I saw somewhere it was just on in the evenings for 4 or 5 hours or something like that). I doubt a slot like that would appeal to anything other than another shopping channel.

From memory I think it took the old Al Jazeera 6 - 11 p.m. slot when AJ went full time.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    From memory I think it took the old Al Jazeera 6 - 11 p.m. slot when AJ went full time.
    Found this...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a406026/argos-tv-launching-on-freeview.html

That suggests it is on the 6-11PM slot.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Its good news if they can remove a shopping channel,

Argos are having a re-work of the business, but really a steady close down of certain area's - my though's are that about 300 stores will go too, the high street has been hit very hard, and Argos just sat back prices increased, and quality of their own brands where questionable at times,

When GUS took over, for most of the next 4-5 years, changing things, and cutting, Staff - Product Value and Service, and profits went up and up and then crash! the profits where coming mainly from re-structuring rather than sales towards the end and in the last 2 years or so they have nothing left to cut, so now stores will go,

Argos is one of those company's who's main employee base is part time, in the mid to late 90's they employed more full time staff that new what they where doing, - Senior Sales (red Costs) as they where know, but now everything is controlled via head office, they even get told where and what to put out on display, management are only open and lock up people really now, and they are paid less, than managers of old,

Its a shame, but argos is outdated and too expensive as it is....
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argos is moving from a catalogue store to focus more on internet delivery (via Click and Collect and online sales). In fact, it enjoyed a strong Christmas:
    Consumer electronics sales, particularly tablets, continued to grow strongly, while further growth in white goods and toys helped offset weaker trading from homewares and jewellery.

Argos sales at stores open more than a year rose 2.7 per cent in the 18 weeks to January 5, its peak trading period, ahead of a consensus forecast of a 0.2 per cent rise and a 1.4 per cent rise in its second quarter.

A reinvented Argos is aiming to grow sales by 15 per cent to £4.5billion by 2018, with a focus on online, mobile and tablet transactions to attract more shoppers and reverse a sharp decline in profit that slumped 37 per cent in its first half.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davetech wrote: »
    Its good news if they can remove a shopping channel,
    Why? The space is hardly likely to be taken by some premium high-quality part-time entertainment channel.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Argos is moving from a catalogue store to focus more on internet delivery (via Click and Collect and online sales). In fact, it enjoyed a strong Christmas:

how is your job at argos, another company person
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Why? The space is hardly likely to be taken by some premium high-quality part-time entertainment channel.

I would rather have nothing, than a shopping channel!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be part-time, but it's still a good slot.....
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how is your job at argos, another company person
    Sorry, but I don't work for them, and never have (although it makes a pleasant change from people saying that I work for the BBC ;)). The info posted was garnered from recent,memory of press reports followed by a Google search!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9629760/Argos-to-close-75-stores-in-internet-push.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9809499/Argos-and-Dixons-lead-fightback-for-the-high-street.html
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have nothing, than a shopping channel!

That doesn't make sense, shopping channels pay to use these slots which no other broadcaster wants. If the shopping channels don't pay for the slots, the costs rise for other broadcasters. Other existing broadcasters may not want to continue on DTT if they have to pay more. A domino effect of channels closing, increasing the costs to remaining channels resulting in those channels also closing.

Most people would prefer entertainment to teleshopping, unfortunately the broadcasters simply aren't queuing up to get onto DTT. It's better to have shopping channels contributing to platform costs than nothing at all. At least you can delete the channel and forget it is even there.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't work for them, and never have (although it makes a pleasant change from people saying that I work for the BBC ;)). The info posted was garnered from recent,memory of press reports followed by a Google search!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9629760/Argos-to-close-75-stores-in-internet-push.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9809499/Argos-and-Dixons-lead-fightback-for-the-high-street.html

Lolssss, u did sound rather offical, 2nd link argos and dixons fightback, worked for both of these, 6 & 3 years must say dixons was better too work for, but this retail collapse as been coming for a long long time even before the bank/credit/resesion etc....

seeing the penny from both sides, Dixons (DSG) stand a chance which has improved - but argos is going to get a whole lot worse, - they also have the heavy burden of Homebase, which has been a disaster since they purchased it (it was before too) why they got there fingers in homebase ill never know
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, shopping channels pay to use these slots which no other broadcaster wants. If the shopping channels don't pay for the slots, the costs rise for other broadcasters. Other existing broadcasters may not want to continue on DTT if they have to pay more. A domino effect of channels closing, increasing the costs to remaining channels resulting in those channels also closing.

Most people would prefer entertainment to teleshopping, unfortunately the broadcasters simply aren't queuing up to get onto DTT. It's better to have shopping channels contributing to platform costs than nothing at all. At least you can delete the channel and forget it is even there.

Well we could all do with loosing some, how many channels do channel 4 need, cos they love repeats repeats and more repeats, how many more come dine with me and scrapheap challanges do we need to see over and over and over again,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »

Poundland TV probably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we could all do with loosing some, how many channels do channel 4 need, cos they love repeats repeats and more repeats, how many more come dine with me and scrapheap challanges do we need to see over and over and over again,

I agree, I don't watch any of those and a lot of programmes are repeated far too often. However, the channels are paying for the slots, reducing the costs for other broadcasters.

Unfortunately, there are times when the size of the audience doesn't justify providing high cost, quality programming. There will always be low budget programmes at these times. You don't have to watch them. :p
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    That did not last very long some people said it won't.

I assume that it's just the relatively high cost of a Freeview channel slot lease that's made them pull out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that it's just the relatively high cost of a Freeview channel slot lease that's made them pull out.

No, they are supposedly considering closing the channel, not taking it off DTT. It's also available on satellite.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they are supposedly considering closing the channel, not taking it off DTT. It's also available on satellite.

and 24/7 on the Manchester Mux. Maybe they'll have Movies 4 Men + 2 on there now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and 24/7 on the Manchester Mux. Maybe they'll have Movies 4 Men + 2 on there now?

Or Heart TV, although I really don't care what happens on a multiplex that only has limited coverage of the Manchester area.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    You know the best part? It's the fact it will push us two LCNs closer to Sky being forced to move Sky News.
    Forum Member
    I agree, I don't watch any of those and a lot of programmes are repeated far too often. However, the channels are paying for the slots, reducing the costs for other broadcasters.

Unfortunately, there are times when the size of the audience doesn't justify providing high cost, quality programming. There will always be low budget programmes at these times. You don't have to watch them. :p

So if you put rubbish on then get no one watching it, that's a thumbs up, and a pat on the back, why bother in the first place then

maybe they should reduce the channels and make better tv,