Argentine Tango Music

Comments

• An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    I quite understand - I know how repetition can ruin a piece for you. I am a great Wagner fan but when the Ride of the Valkyries is played I think "Oh no, not again!"

How about this one? It has great personal interest for me because it was the first tango I danced to in my first dancing school, back in 19XX. I knew so little about dancing I didn't even realise it was an Argentine tango. The music has stayed in my head ever since.

Francisco Canaro - Pura Parada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYxKHjMyJYY

Much better. Thank you for not taking umbrige at my previous outburst.

I get the nostalgia connection too, there are songs I like because they vividly remind me of a particular time, place, event or person that otherwise I wouldn't give houseroom.

I do echo HenryWilliams' comment though. I find it surprising that the AT community are so attached to recordings that sound as if they have come straight out of Great Grandmama's attic on wax cylinders.Do you know if there is a reason for this?
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better. Thank you for not taking umbrige at my previous outburst.

I do echo HenryWilliams' comment though. I find it surprising that the AT community are so attached to recordings that sound as if they have come straight out of Great Grandmama's attic on wax cylinders.Do you know if there is a reason for this?

I hazard a guess that it has to do with the fact that the Golden Age of AT was before WOII.
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me old music, like old films, has more character and atmosphere, and old dance music is more, well, danceable. I don't mind about poor quality, in fact I am usually not conscious of it and automatically listen past it to the music itself (although I am a physicist and understand how poor quality arises).

That version of A Media Luz by Julio Iglesias left me cold as it obviously wasn't meant for dancing.
    Forum Member
    For me old music, like old films, has more character and atmosphere, and old dance music is more, well, danceable. I don't mind about poor quality, in fact I am usually not conscious of it and automatically listen past it to the music itself (although I am a physicist and understand how poor quality arises).

That version of A Media Luz by Julio Iglesias left me cold as it obviously wasn't meant for dancing.

How interesting. I do agree with you regarding old films. One of my all time favourite films is 12 Angry Men - Sidney Lumet - Henry Fonda version. Why anyone felt a need to remake it is beyond me. Ditto Miracle on 34th Street. I watched the orignal at the weekend and I feel it works so much better than the remake.

But hitherto any sort of interference on a musical sound track drives me nuts, a radio station that crackles when i can't get it in tune for example. However I am going to a Milonga in a few days time and I know it will be a lot of traditional music played. This time I will try to embrace it a bit more. Will let you know how I get on.
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poor choice from me compared to all the others but I dont think this has been used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6VvR3hkePI&feature=related

and Katya could do a mean Tango:(:(

Bring back Kayta
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even listen to Beniamino Gigli or Mario Lanza because of the recording quality :cry:

It is a bit saccharine-like perhaps

Here are:

Tango Project: A Media Luz

and

Bandoneon Tango Baile "A Media Luz"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    A poor choice from me compared to all the others but I dont think this has been used

Bring back Kayta

Great choice. That's a superb interpretation of "Así se baila el tango". A touch of Gotan to it.

[I posted in in post #47 ;) Great minds etc. ]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually it was used, two or three years ago. I remember commenting that Katya should recognise it.
    Forum Member

Bring back Kayta

LIke the track, Not keen on Katya as a blonde - makes her look hard - perhaps a warmer shade would be better . Sorry i digress Hmm tango. I do like that performance...as an example of what I call flash and trash AT and I don't mean that to be disparaging but there is very little if any AT in it. (i.e improvisation, lead and follow, intention and response, conversation etc) Great poses though and very dramatic and sexy plus Antonio Banderas too. Things could be worse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But hitherto any sort of interference on a musical sound track drives me nuts, a radio station that crackles when i can't get it in tune for example.

Well,if it is that bad then of course it bothers me. What I meant was that I don't mind the sort of tinny sound that you get on old recordings, or a bit of hiss and scratch. Old dance records have a more obvious beat, which is why they are popular in schools

As for films, sometimes black and white is better than colour especially for horror or suspense. My favourite film of that kind is The Third Man. As an example of the director's art I consider it the best film ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrYBq0SONI
    Forum Member
    Well,if it is that bad then of course it bothers me. What I meant was that I don't mind the sort of tinny sound that you get on old recordings, or a bit of hiss and scratch. Old dance records have a more obvious beat, which is why they are popular in schools

As for films, sometimes black and white is better than colour especially for horror or suspense. My favourite film of that kind is The Third Man. As an example of the director's art I consider it the best film ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrYBq0SONI

Oh I love that film. Could you dance to the music? IS it called Harry's theme. Off to have a listen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you are

Anton Karas - "The Third Man" Theme
    http://youtu.be/Qb-fpQ59yco

Hey since it is The Third Man maybe Vaughan should have danced to it at Wembley?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I wish I knew more about proper Argentine Tango music but if they want to use something more pop-music-y they should go for something like Apache by The Shadows rather than some of the rock music they have been relying on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I love that film. Could you dance to the music? IS it called Harry's theme. Off to have a listen

If you mean the music in that clip, it is called "Farewell To Vienna", and you can download it to itunes. The famous theme from the film is of course the Harry Lime Theme (which got into the British hit parade at the time) but I like this better. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the music in that clip, it is called "Farewell To Vienna", and you can download it to itunes. The famous theme from the film is of course the Harry Lime Theme (which got into the British hit parade at the time) but I like this better. .

British hit parade ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Not classic Argentine Tango, but I wonder if these would work -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qzLn0u8GVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6J-bIFPX8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern French Tango

Ingrid Alberini [In-Grid] - In Tango

Same thing in English

In-Grid - We Tango Alone

I love it. Hot stuff.

Ouch! I just ganchoed my chair :cool:
    Forum Member
    Modern French Tango

Ingrid Alberini [In-Grid] - In Tango

Same thing in English

In-Grid - We Tango Alone

I love it. Hot stuff.

Ouch! I just ganchoed my chair :cool:

Well unless it ganchoed back it should be the chair that would be saying ouch, Life as a chair in your house does seem to be rather more interesting than that enjoyed by your average chair though! :D

BTW I know you like a bit of pedantry so I think you might like to consider 'enganchar' to hook in this context. Gancho is more of a noun - a hook compared to the act of hooking - engancho, enganchas etc etc;)
    Forum Member
    From the training room videos on ITT last night I fear we may be about to reach the AT nadir of SCD this weekend. I am sorry to say it but Nicky's AT looks an absolutely travisty. His frame was a mess. Actually no frame at all. He manages to hunch in three places at once - bent knees, bent forward at hips and curled over at shoulders/chest. On top of this there was lots of lateral movement going on too - not quite hips wiggling but side to side movement.:eek:

From the clips it isn't a bad dance but not remotely like an AT. I hope he can improve on that clip or the judges will savage him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry to say it but Nicky's AT looks an absolutely travisty. His frame was a mess. Actually no frame at all. He manages to hunch in three places at once - bent knees, bent forward at hips and curled over at shoulders/chest. On top of this there was lots of lateral movement going on too - not quite hips wiggling but side to side movement.:eek:

I think you should be a guest on the judging panel - that was better than some of the nonsense we hear :D

This might be a suitable number - it might take us to the zenith of AT:

New Fangled Tango -Lena Horne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MPmqQVats
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would dance to this for the AT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-w3WfgpcGg
  • freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    I'd be happy with almost anything from the Gotan Project as it forces the professionals to actually adress the tango! Not just do a show dance with a couple of AT moves thrown in as crowd pleasers. I've yet to see a proper 'head to head' posture. Did anyone see the bit on ITT yesterday talking about the stinky gauchos and the resulting dance - the AT?
    Forum Member
    I would dance to this for the AT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-w3WfgpcGg

Yes so would I. I have just had a little try out using my kitchen counter as a partner (He's rather wooden and doesn't emote well I am afraid) and I could make that work.

Of the two suggestions from chacahavvy above; Apache is the better of the two but even then - they don't say AT to me.
    Forum Member
    freckle59 wrote: »
    I'd be happy with almost anything from the Gotan Project as it forces the professionals to actually adress the tango! Not just do a show dance with a couple of AT moves thrown in as crowd pleasers. I've yet to see a proper 'head to head' posture. Did anyone see the bit on ITT yesterday talking about the stinky gauchos and the resulting dance - the AT?

Yes I did and it set me wondering because on another thread I had asked if anyone knew the history behind the ladies' strained back neck and horizontal head positions in ballroom.

Had that been a piece about ballroom it would have satisfied my curiosity. But as it was about AT I wondered how we went from leaning away to get away from the smell to nestleed up in the crook of the arm/shoulder for close embrace. Perhaps at some point in the early 20th century gauchos suddenly started to improve their personal hygene.

Somehow as a tale it didn't fit. I am not contradicting it because I really don't know but it didn't seem plausible given that the inverted A positioning (together with a responsive frame) is the essence of the lead and follow in AT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps at some point in the early 20th century gauchos suddenly started to improve their personal hygene.

Yes, you definitely belong on the judging panel!::D:D:D

Actually I think it is not so important that the lady's head is held back, just so long as it is turned well to the left in closed position or to the right in open position. I remember that Bobbie Irvine held her head well back to that it was almost horizontal, but that was because she was taller than Bill and it would have looked wrong otherwise. Karen Hilton had a more natural looking head position.