Any Mike & The Mechanics fans?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see they are touring again and would like to buy my Dad some tickets as one of his Christmas presents as he is a fan. However, I notice Paul Carrick is NOT touring with them and I know my Dad like his voice and has one of his solo albums.

So my question is, what are the "current" Mike & The Mechanics like? Would he like it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rewind wrote: »

So my question is, what are the "current" Mike & The Mechanics like?

I doubt they've turned into Motorhead. Or even Oasis.

The Mechanics used to record the stuff that wasn't edgy enough for Genesis with Phil Collins. Collins has thrown in the towel on his music career (a good decision - he hasn't done anything good in decades and the last Genesis performances were grim), which is why Mike has gone on the road with the Mechanics again.
  • KirgleKirgle Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    One of the guy in mike and the mechanics has just finished Rock of Ages in the west end. His version of Dead or Alive was phenomenal. His voice was miles ahead of the rest.
    I also got to hear him sing live at aftershow in October and he was amazing.

Tim Howar, hes Canadian I think.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »

The Mechanics used to record the stuff that wasn't edgy enough for Genesis with Phil Collins. .

Genesis with Phil...edgy?

After Wind and Wuthering.....no.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    I see they are touring again and would like to buy my Dad some tickets as one of his Christmas presents as he is a fan. However, I notice Paul Carrick is NOT touring with them and I know my Dad like his voice and has one of his solo albums.

So my question is, what are the "current" Mike & The Mechanics like? Would he like it?

Thanks.

The current Mike & The Mechanics are really good imho, yes it is a shame that Paul Carrick is not among the line up, but after seeing him on TV a couple months back performing "Over my Shoulder" at the Rewind festival, his voice isn't that great any more ,so no great loss that he isn't in the line up.

The other main singer now along with Tim Howar is none other than Andrew Roachford, the man who had a cracking hit in the 80's called Cuddly Toy.

If your Dad is a fan, then I would get him the ticket or what you could do is look up some youtube performances of them and ask your Dad if they have changed that much over the years. That way you will know if he still loves them or not. :)
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Genesis with Phil...edgy?

After Wind and Wuthering.....no.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic.

I meant that the Mechanics made Genesis at the time look edgy.