The Saturdays dropped?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I lurk at Popjustice and someone over there is saying that from the 1st of January they were dropped by Universal.

I don't know if its true but maybe the flop of both the last single and album together was the last straw? at least they had a good run though 18 singles about 75% of which were great pop tunes.

Feelings if true?

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,969
    Forum Member
    It really wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Most of the stuff that they've done since their debut hasn't performed as the label had hoped.

Most of the girls have babies now too.

They've all been trying to establish themselves seperately for the last few years.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Mollie and Rochelle have both said they are doing at least 1 more album, they've never lied to us before, even if they've been dropped they could still find a way to release something new.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm suprised they have lasted this long to be honest as they have never really set the charts alight or broken any sales records. Throughout their time they have released the odd brilliant track (Ego, Gentleman, Work), but to be honest I lost respect for them after they ditched Wordshaker.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind.

Girl (& boy) bands come & go.

Next one along in a few minutes!
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, crap band and better off opening a fertility clinic :D
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I've always thought them pointless
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    If they've been dropped, I'm not really that fussed. It's a long time coming. Their last studio album hasnt even sold 60,000 in over a year, greatest hits album sold 7,000 copies in its first week, 2,500 in its second. Last single reached #38.

It really is a surprise to me they have lasted this long with really terrible sales.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan since I saw If This Is Love on a music channel in summer 2008. If it is true then its sad but maybe it was to be expected at some stage. Their last album and GH flopped after all. Plus three of the girls are married mothers now. On a side note I see Una is a judge on The Voice of Ireland.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If true then they had 7 years in the industry, a lot more than a lot of girlbands! They have some brilliant pop songs and all in all did ok, I don't think any of them will be short of work or money now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    They've only had one non flop album, so it can hardly be a surprise.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll always be remembered for this, dunno about the tune though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDotUnHm14
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldn't surprise me either. was expecting them to split after their greatest hits and tour anyway even though they kept denying it. none of their album were selling and the fact that on their GH tour they were playing small venues like Glasgow Clyde Auditorium just said it all really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's true judging by how poorly they've done in the charts. I only like very few of their singles. I have to say Vanessa White has an amazing voice though.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason they have never been dropped despite their flops is because they're on a 360 deal. Their label pay for all the recording sessions, promo, everything. In return they take a percentage of the girls' earninings from work unrelated to the band, for example endorsements, reality tv show fees etc. So even during flop singles and albums, the label are still making money from them.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,969
    Forum Member
    The reason they have never been dropped despite their flops is because they're on a 360 deal. Their label pay for all the recording sessions, promo, everything. In return they take a percentage of the girls' earninings from work unrelated to the band, for example endorsements, reality tv show fees etc. So even during flop singles and albums, the label are still making money from them.

Exactly.

A 360 deal is the new thing in the music industry. It's bad, really but it's the way in which record labels make money because people aren't buying music anymore.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Exactly.

A 360 deal is the new thing in the music industry. It's bad, really but it's the way in which record labels make money because people aren't buying music anymore.

Yep, exactly. If the band end, it will most likely be because the group themselves want to call it a day rather than the label dropping them. The label probably actually make quite a lot of money from them as although their music isn't great, most of them are doing quite a lot of other stuff...Frankie done Strictly and she'll be doing the tour next, Rochelle is presenting etc. Other people on 360 deals are Cheryl and Pixie Lott.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I lurk at Popjustice and someone over there is saying that from the 1st of January they were dropped by Universal.

I don't know if its true but maybe the flop of both the last single and album together was the last straw? at least they had a good run though 18 singles about 75% of which were great pop tunes.

Feelings if true?

The sewer version of Girls Aloud.😄😃

I used to think all dogs went to heaven, I was wrong they formed a band called the Saturdays😄
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More than one.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On Your Radar flopped, Headlines flopped and so did the Greatest Hits. I don't think any of them even went silver.

I remember getting free tickets to see them through work and it was honestly one of the worst gigs I've ever been to. The funny thing is even their fans never talk about how good their singing or dancing is, but what nice girls they are and how their performance "wasn't that bad". I'm no big fan of Little Mix, but they really made them irrelevant.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sort of a shame as I think they've had several really good solid pop tunes. On their Greatest Hits, I love Work, Not Giving Up and All Fired Up.

On the other hand, it would make no difference who sang them.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member

The problem is, that's kind of the last time they released anything decent (in my opinion)

The first two albums were great, then they changed music style and went a bit techno.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although they will be dropped i can see them carrying on for a bit longer.

I unashamedly love the girls, and their records, harmless pop, long may they continue!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:o The UK has so many good girl groups. This isn't even one of our best and they can perform like that!
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    :o The UK has so many good girl groups. This isn't even one of our best and they can perform like that!

I disagree. UK girl groups can't hold a candle to the ones from Japan and South Korea. Even C-list Korean girl groups like After School and Nine Muses completely show The Saturdays up. It's a shame about the language barrier, as a group like f(x) could be huge in the UK or USA.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    I disagree. UK girl groups can't hold a candle to the ones from Japan and South Korea. Even C-list Korean girl groups like After School and Nine Muses completely show The Saturdays up. It's a shame about the language barrier, as a group like f(x) could be huge in the UK or USA.

So you really think Korean girl groups could compete with groups like the Spice Girls, the Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Little Mix and All Saints?