Windows 8 Upgrade Disc Easy To Do?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it easy to upgrade from vista to windows 8 is it just a question of putting in the disk and that's all or will all kinds of computer know how also be required?

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen very varying reports, all the way from dead easy no probs to horrendous tales of woe and misery. UEFI/Secure Boot tends to cause pain. Some older hardware lacks drivers in Win8. All-in-one PC's with wireless keyboards and mice are often reported as giving trouble.

It might help to Google for your computer's make and model and "windows 8" to see if anyone's commented.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    Is it easy to upgrade from vista to windows 8 is it just a question of putting in the disk and that's all or will all kinds of computer know how also be required?
    Knowing the kind of problems you get yourself into HDMI, I suggest you do several types of backup before you even think of starting.

Do you have:
    A Vista install DVD?
    A backup of your data?
    Preferably, a system image backup and a recovery disk?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming from Vista you will have to reinstall all your programmes, I think. First thing running will be an upgrade advisor that will check for any incompatibilities and propose solutions. The installation process is rather trivial in standard cases.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will tell you what's compatible and what's not

Can my PC run Windows 8? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

It's to be hoped that you took advantage of the £24.99 download which ended 31/01/2013 as the price (as you'll see on the above link) has rocketed

If your PC is currently running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer toWindows 8. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you'll need to reinstall your apps after you upgrade.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

It's to be hoped that you took advantage of the £24.99 download which ended 31/01/2013 as the price (as you'll see on the above link) has rocketed

Blimey that price has rocketed:eek::eek:
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased two extra licenses before the price went up. Which I will no doubt find a use for eventually.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be blunt, but after reading your Kaspersky thread, I'd have to advise that you don't consider it any further.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would use the web-based installer instead of the disc.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you decide to go ahead:

Backup all your data files, including old email messages, email address books, saved web pages, web browser favourites/bookmarks, passwords, music, photographs, videos, documents, spreadsheets etc. Also backup all your device drivers, just in case. Make at least three copies to three different systems, for example USB memory stick, writable CD or DVD, and the cloud (i.e. a web server).

Make at least two image copies of each of your hard discs, so you can restore back to Vista if you wish to or need to. Make sure you know your Vista licence code.

Make sure you can install all your old programs either using discs they were sold on or the files you downloaded, or that you can download new copies (for example, Firefox and Chrome which are free of charge).

If you're even slightly lacking confidence in doing all that with 100% reliability then I would advise following the old rule - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by what I've read on these threads I think I will leave well alone