Poll : Do you hate Windows 8 ?

Please answer my poll.
I'd like to know how many people hate Windows 8 !

Do you hate Windows 8 ? 89 votes

Yes
40% 36 votes
No
59% 53 votes

Comments

• Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on. You're having a laugh. Do we need another win 8 post? You know what its going to turn into.
    Is it a wind up poll?
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate's a strong word, shouldn't there be an option of "It's alright once I've spent a week customizing it" ? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Oh come on. You're having a laugh. Do we need another win 8 post? You know what its going to turn into.
    Is it a wind up poll?

No, it's not a wind up poll.
    I'd like to know how many people hate Windows 8 :)
    What IS it going to turn into ?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not a wind up poll.
    I'd like to know how many people hate Windows 8 :)
    What IS it going to turn into ?

You honestly dont know the answers to thatt?
    Also why do you feel the need to know? What do you aim to achieve from it?

We already have several threads on it.
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first got W8, it took me straight to that wretched smartphone (or whatever) start screen with all the categories in pretty boxes, nothing like any other desktop startscreens I'd had. I had to click "desktop" to get there.

Now it takes me straight to the desktop, and I've configured it so it looks like it used to (start menu etc).

Why did they have to do that monumental screw job with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    You honestly dont know the answers to thatt?
    Also why do you feel the need to know? What do you aim to achieve from it?

We already have several threads on it.

Just curious, I suppose.
    Yes I know there are several threads, but there are no Polls.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't an option for OSx or Linux ;););):D
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't mind it

Could do with some improvements and more options, but overall it's as good as previous versions
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Poll reveals a complete lack of appreciation of the real issue here.

I love Windows 8 (so voted no) but I dislike the Metro interface on my desktop PC with a vengeance, so I got rid of it. However, I like Metro on tablets I've tried.

Sorry O/P but it's a bit of a silly poll because the three separate issues will be confused - the result will be meaningless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Poll reveals a complete lack of appreciation of the real issue here.

I love Windows 8 (so voted no) but I dislike the Metro interface on my desktop with a vengeance. However, I like Metro on tablets I've tried.

Silly poll.

I started the poll because I just wanted a straight Yes or No answer.
    That's why it's not a "Do you like / hate bits of Windows 8 ?" poll :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    I started the poll because I just wanted a straight Yes or No answer.
    That's why it's not a "Do you like / hate bits of Windows 8 ?" poll :)

It misses the point though and as such, the result will be mis-used in discussions. Some will see it as mischievous, hence the "wind-up" comments by others above.

No need for smilies, either!
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the fact that Windows 8 and 8.1 can be modified to avoid Metro, only the people who make sillycomments like msnbcwatcher and numpties will truly hate[/I[] Windows 8.

Aside, from the minority of us who like Windows 8 as is, most will be like d@ve I would have thought, genuinely like the improvements to Windows 8, under the hood, but want to live in a multi-windowed desktop environment. Even people like d@ve will be able to appreciate that for certain groups of people e.g. those who are new/struggle with computers, the safe, sandboxed and comparatively simple world of metro might be a boon.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    There isn't an option for OSx or Linux ;););):D
    Why would there be? It's a yes or no question...

Isn't this a little outdated with Windows 8.1 about a month away it would make more sense to wait as a lot of issues will be fixed.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please answer my poll.
    I'd like to know how many people hate Windows 8 !

Nope don't hate it at all. Totally accustomed to it now.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I hate it. It's hideous and looks like an interactive Playskool game for adults. Why anyone would want to use this crap is beyond me. It should be permanently consigned to the tech scrapheap. Why didn't MS allow people buying new computers the option of Windows 7 (a perfectly good OS which is so good I dual boot it on my Mac for games as that's one area the Mac falls down on) or this heap of junk Windows 8?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hate it at all. I wouldn't say I love it, I just like it. I haven't got a problem with it so far.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it. It's hideous and looks like an interactive Playskool game for adults. Why anyone would want to use this crap is beyond me. It should be permanently consigned to the tech scrapheap. Why didn't MS allow people buying new computers the option of Windows 7 (a perfectly good OS which is so good I dual boot it on my Mac for games as that's one area the Mac falls down on) or this heap of junk Windows 8?

Probably because this indicates that they're not totally confident of their new OS being better than Windows 7. I'm not saying it is, but just saying what Microsoft doesn't want new computer buyers to think.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm worried what comes after Windows 8. I'm guessing it will be a cross between a kid's video game and a phone. When I first used Windows 7 it was OMG this is amazing. When I tried Windows 8 it was OMG I need to spend several days fixing this heap of &$"* just to get it to work how I want.

I have £10K+ of software that only runs on Windows (Cinema 4D, Adobe MC, 3DS max etc), otherwise I'd switch to Mac. Windows 7 is supported to around 2020, so that's what I'll use until then.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always amazes me when I see thread on Windows 8

I am sure some people think the Metro interface is all there is
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Probably because this indicates that they're not totally confident of their new OS being better than Windows 7. I'm not saying it is, but just saying what Microsoft doesn't want new computer buyers to think.

That could be it. MS wants to sell people Windows 8, but the consumers think different.
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I have £10K+ of software that only runs on Windows (Cinema 4D, Adobe MC, 3DS max etc), otherwise I'd switch to Mac. Windows 7 is supported to around 2020, so that's what I'll use until then.

You could run Windows on a Mac for those programs ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the same as some of the above posters.

I chose the hate option.. But if there was an option along the lines of "its OK now that I've installed classic shell and got rid of the metro screen and the charms"... I would've picked that.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Or it could be a long staying policy with consumers and if you're a volume license customer you can install Win8, Win7, Vista, even XP if it takes your fancy.
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Or it could be a long staying policy with consumers and if you're a volume license customer you can install Win8, Win7, Vista, even XP if it takes your fancy.

I read somewhere that M$ will sell users a license for DOS 1.0 if they need it. Can't imagine what you'd want with an OS from 1981 though :D It would be like Apple still selling the original Macintosh in the Apple stores!
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Why would there be? It's a yes or no question...

Isn't this a little outdated with Windows 8.1 about a month away it would make more sense to wait as a lot of issues will be fixed.

woosh

the poll as it stands is just as pointless, as you've pointed out yourself

it was a lame attempt at humour in expectation of the usual OS wars which break out whenever someone rattles the cage of the resident microsoft evangelists