leak from bath plug hole. water everywhere!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
Forum Member
Water started dripping heavily through the ceiling today. As the bathroom is directly above I wonderdd if the bath had leaked and it had!
The underneath of the plug hole is leaking and the water is pouring down the outside of the pipe.
Does anyone know what I can do to stop it? ( apart from not use the bath! )
I need a cheap fix as the roof is leaking too and thats expensive!!
Thanks

Comments

• lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Not sure if a silicone sealant around the plughole would help. Might not be strong enough if you fill the bath with water.
    ETA: just read that it's the underneath. Have you had a look under the bath to see if the pipe has come away from the plughole?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    That might be okay as we only have showers anyway. Do you mean i put it on the underneath of the plug hole or the bit in the bath??
    Sorry to be so dim!
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Not sure if a silicone sealant around the plughole would help. Might not be strong enough if you fill the bath with water.
    ETA: just read that it's the underneath. Have you had a look under the bath to see if the pipe has come away from the plughole?

The underneath is in tact but looks very worn on one edge.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Is is the pipe or the plughole thing that is worn?
    I meant on the top, but then I read it again and it said that it was leaking underneath.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remove the fitting by undoing the large nut under the bath. Clean all the rubbish from round the opening and the rubber gasket if there is one. Once everything is clean and dry you can apply a small amount of silicon seal and reassemble.

Alternatively get a complet new fitting from Screwfix / B&Q and fit that. Take the old one with you for pipe sizing.

DON'T JUST SMEAR SILICON ROUND THE PLUG HOLE IT DOES NOT WORK
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on a plug hole there are two seals.

1..is under the plug hole as you look in the bath/shower.so between the plug and bath.shower base.

2 is under the bath/shower..inbetween the base of the bath/shower where the nut is that tightens the plug to the bath.

sealant is a No No really as it wont last long.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advice. i ended up replacing the whole thing and it worked.................no leaks!!
    I've never done anything ilke this before so I'm really chuffed!
    I feel right proud!!