Pokemon X and Y

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there :)

I thought I'd try and generate some discussion about the upcoming 3DS pokemon games! I'm extremely excited as it'll be the first 3D pokemon experience we've had on a handheld.

Anyone any thoughts on the games? New pokemon, new region, new fairy type, new evolutions.

So to kick the thread off, anyone thought about which kanto and kalos starters they're going to pick?

I'm team Froakie and Bulbasaur :D

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably The fox one and my old original, the Charmander. I should steer away from fire, but I'm not fond of the others. Mind you, I won't make the final choice until I see the new starters last evolution.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a difficult subject to keep a conversation going on this forum but hopefully this thread won't die off as I love these games.

I can't wait for X and Y (Y for me) and have been counting down the days for months.

I'll be doing the restart and trade option with my girlfriend so will have all six starters but will be using Chespin and Squirtle and also Torchic as that is a day one download from the wi-fi.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of mega evolution at all. All seems a bit too "Digimon" for me. Start wise, I'm still unsure! I really wanted Chespin, issue is Bulbasaur is one of my favourite Pokémon ever, so I really want him too! Presumebly we don't get the kanto starter until we're deep into the game? I'm not really a fan of having the 2 starters, plus the Torchic from Wifi download. It seems like they are making the game a bit too easy by giving us 3 different starters :o

Decisions, decisions...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starter spoilers with possible locations in case people aren't finding out.
    Kanto starters are given by the professor and you get the new ones from your friend I think.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got Pokemon Y (with the official guide) ordered via amazon ... Looking forward 2 afew online battle with u guys!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah could hopefully get a few battles going. Could be good. I'm glad the bank has been invented too so I don't lose my pokemon from previous games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really a fan of using starter pokemon, I am still waiting for Froakies third form to be confirmed (if it becomes part fighting then it'll be going into the box).

Fennekin is shaping up to be decent if it becomes part psychic but that special torchic will nab its spot on my team.

Hopefully there's a decent bird pokemon this round; black and whites was awful - they gave a special attack based movepool to a bird which had higher physical attack...the logic baffled me.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be doing the restart and trade option with my girlfriend so will have all six starters but will be using Chespin and Squirtle and also Torchic as that is a day one download from the wi-fi.

The same applies for me (except the "restart and trade with the girlfriend" part).

But I never knew about the Torchic download, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    The same applies for me (except the "restart and trade with the girlfriend" part).

But I never knew about the Torchic download, though.

Torchic will be available on release through download. It'll have its dream world ability speed boost - increases its speed every turn allowing it to be a quick sweeper :)
    It'll also come with an item that allows Blaziken to mega-evolve. Will be quite interesting to see how powerful it is as it is an already overpowered pokemon in terms of online battling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count me in for some battles on here with you guys! :) I found during Black and White battling with people on here was much more fun and less over the top competitive than it was on Pokemon/Nintendo forums. I cannot wait for these games!
    I always pick the fire starter so will be going with Fennekin for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in for some battles on here with you guys! :) I found during Black and White battling with people on here was much more fun and less over the top competitive than it was on Pokemon/Nintendo forums. I cannot wait for these games!
    I always pick the fire starter so will be going with Fennekin for sure.

I always start with fire Pokemon aswell! :) nowt better then a good online battle ... Looking forward 2 playing ya! :cool:

(All of us r gonna have 2 exchange FC codes) :)
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    There are so many good Pokemon in this generation, I kind of wish you could have more than 6 pokemon.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll be the odd one out and get version X when its released. Might pre-order it from Game to get the Pokéball. :o

Sticking to my usual and also getting the fire Pokemon as a starter. But with Charmander also being my classic choice I want to pick him but probably won't this time - Squirtle it shall be.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets swap IDs so we can trade/battle etc.

Mine is 0447-5061-3517 :)
    Forum Member
    The Pokemon Centre spoiler?:
    The Pokemon Centre will once again feature the Poke Mart but will also feature a place where you can change your clothes/how you look.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVNBOz_IcAAknpX.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Lets swap IDs so we can trade/battle etc.

Mine is 0447-5061-3517 :)

Generally in pokemon games you need a code from in the game not the DS code. I don't know if it's going to be the same in the new games though.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always used to hack myself a decent team with maxed EVs and decent IVs (but never 31 in all stats) using PokéGen and an Action Replay simply because it was far too time consuming to train my Pokémon the proper way. The Pokémon I hacked were always legit (no silly movesets or 255 EVs in all stats), but nevertheless I only used them for in game purposes such as challenging the PWT or the Battle Frontier and I never played competitively online.

However, now that hacking the 3DS is more or less impossible for us mere mortals, it seems that I'm going to have to spend hours and hours of my life grinding to perfect my team the old fashioned way, which is one thing I'm not particularly looking forward to.
    Nevertheless, from what I've heard, EV training is going to be a bit easier and less boring so it shouldn't really take too long to find six Pokémon with the right natures and EV train them, but grinding them all to level 100 for the sake of completeness will be another matter entirely- this could take weeks on end. I've heard that you can leave them in the Daycare centre then go to a certain place, tape the circle pad down and leave your 3DS plugged in to train them without putting much effort in, but I'm worried this will ruin my 3DS's battery and even then to train all six Pokémon it will probably take around 140 hours; over a week of leaving my 3DS on whilst I sleep and do other things during the day. And this is all assuming that this day-care trick is still possible in X and Y

Anyway, those are just a few things I have to moan about; things I probably really shouldn't moan about. The game looks great and initially completing the storyline before I start any monotonous training should be fun. :)
    I think I'll start with Chespin and Tyrantrum looks like another one I'll be having on my team. I also quite like Skrelp so hopefully it will evolve into something good and I'll almost certainly have a decent bug type on my team like I always do.
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why people use hacks on games. To me it's cheating and you miss half the fun working hard to create an amazing team, also it's like you pay for a game but then use cheats to clock it, idgi.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood why people use hacks on games. To me it's cheating and you miss half the fun working hard to create an amazing team, also it's like you pay for a game but then use cheats to clock it, idgi.

I don't know about you, but spending hours on end hatching eggs to find one Pokémon with the right nature and a decent set of IVs, then killing one thing multiple times (and carefully keeping track of how many you've defeated) to gain the correct amount of EVs, before grinding for further hours to level the thing up to level 100 and repeating this six times to have a full team isn't my idea of "fun".
    And of course, if you make one mistake in doing all of this, you have to start again.

I'd much rather plug all these numbers into a computer programme, hack the Pokémon in a fraction of the time and have fun challenging the Battle Frontier or rebattling Gym Leaders etc.

But each to their own, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved using an action replay 2 speed up the leveling! :cool: it'll be sorely missed! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally in pokemon games you need a code from in the game not the DS code. I don't know if it's going to be the same in the new games though.

I'd imagine you'll just swap 3DSFC's (this time) like every other game! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'll just swap 3DSFC's (this time) like every other game! :)

Hopefully this is the case, much easier.

RE training pokemon: I think its the IVs that take ages, can be done in a few hours though. EVs are easy to do with pokerus and the items you can get. It takes me about 20 minutes to fully EV train a pokemon on white 2. I have 7 fully trained pokemon but I only really use Dragonite, Gengar and Machamp but I also have a new shiny Dialga that I haven't battled with properly yet. I can't wait to take them across to Y.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting X and am planning on starting with Froakie and then getting my favourite starter of all time Bulbasaur, I generally go for the water or grass types since they are my two favourite types.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I'll be getting X and attempting the "trade and restart" method with my friend (who's getting Y) for all the starters. If we manage to screw it up though, it'll be Chespin and Charmander for me.
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are partnering up with Union J for the UK release:

https://www.facebook.com/unionjworld/posts/560128287394434