How long can you keep stewing beef frozen?

NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long can you keep stewing beef in the freezer for past its use by date? I bought a couple of trays of stewing beef from tesco a few months or so ago, but it has a November date on them. Can they still be used?

Comments

• scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long can you keep stewing beef in the freezer for past its use by date? I bought a couple of trays of stewing beef from tesco a few months or so ago, but it has a November date on them. Can they still be used?
    I've eaten meat that has been frozen and 12mths past it's sell by date, I'm still alive.
  • NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've eaten meat that has been frozen and 12mths past it's sell by date, I'm still alive.

HA! HA! :D
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing here but I think about 3 months.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes.

That date was for people who used them without freezing them. So say you bought them on Nov 1 and froze them on Nov 1 the date on the packet was Nov 15 and you take them out today you've got another fourteen days to use them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    There was a TV programme on a while back that looked at sell by and use by dates. When it came to meat the general consensus is that if it looks and smells fine, then it is probably safe to eat regardless of the use by date. If you thaw it out and it is indeed fine, I would eat it.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check for bacteria spores with a light or electron microscope.