A question for fellow Chrome users

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all. I use Crome and have done for a while now, but not too long ago I noticed something on the 'view background pages' thing that wasnt there before. You find on the settings there the usual 'browser', the tabs I have open, my ad blocker, codec v, plug in shockwave flash, all of which is ok.

However, there is something called a 'GPU process' which I dont know what it does, could it be malware or something nasty? I did a scan just the other day and it didnt detect anything bad about it. Was wondering do other Chrome users have this on their 'view background pages' thingy.

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPU Process is the process that renders the pages to your screen, every chrome user has this :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    GPU Process is the process that renders the pages to your screen, every chrome user has this :D

Good to know, really dont like to think anything nasty was on the browser as I shop on Amazon and wouldnt like to think there was some key-logger on getting my passwords and whatnot.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know, really dont like to think anything nasty was on the browser as I shop on Amazon and wouldnt like to think there was some key-logger on getting my passwords and whatnot.

GPU Process is normal. What Antivirus do you use?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    GPU Process is normal. What Antivirus do you use?

Im on Norton at the moment, it came with a free trial period, (I have a new laptop). When it ends, I intend to use a free version of AVG, I used it on my old laptop, and was happy with that, so feel ok about using it again. Do you think Norton is worth the money? Norton 2012 is on amazon for 21.95 and 2013 is on for 45.99. Does anyone think that a free version of AVG is adequate? I do intend to start downloading, so not sure if AVG would of better if I was just browsing and streaming rather then going down the bit torrent way. Thanks in advance for any advice (Im not too good with this virus/malware stuff).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im on Norton at the moment, it came with a free trial period, (I have a new laptop). When it ends, I intend to use a free version of AVG, I used it on my old laptop, and was happy with that, so feel ok about using it again. Do you think Norton is worth the money? Norton 2012 is on amazon for 21.95 and 2013 is on for 45.99. Does anyone think that a free version of AVG is adequate? I do intend to start downloading, so not sure if AVG would of better if I was just browsing and streaming rather then going down the bit torrent way. Thanks in advance for any advice (Im not too good with this virus/malware stuff).

I would probably just download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's also far better than AVG free.

Norton does all the Microsoft Security Essentials does but comes with slightly more features such as 'PC Backup' which I find isn't worth paying for. It's up to you if you find you need them.

The only bad point I can find about MSE is that it doesn't automatically scan Removable Media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would probably just download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's also far better than AVG free.

Norton does all the Microsoft Security Essentials does but comes with slightly more features such as 'PC Backup' which I find isn't worth paying for. It's up to you if you find you need them.

The only bad point I can find about MSE is that it doesn't automatically scan Removable Media.

Just downloaded MSE and did a scan, thanks for the suggestion, just did a scan, and nothing nasty found, thanks again :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded MSE and did a scan, thanks for the suggestion, just did a scan, and nothing nasty found, thanks again :)

Did you uninstall Norton first?

You aren't supposed to have 2 antivirus programs as they can conflict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought MSE detected other install AV and complained.

I switched to Panda Cloud Antivirus sometime ago as it has better detection than MSE and a much smaller footprint :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you uninstall Norton first?

You aren't supposed to have 2 antivirus programs as they can conflict.

Yeah, I got rid of Norton and my malware program as it said before MSE was to start installing, as it would conflict. Must say I do feel safter with Microsoft software then I would of with AVG. I suppose Microsoft know more about Microsoft then others would, which would make sense.
  • Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I thought MSE detected other install AV and complained.

I switched to Panda Cloud Antivirus sometime ago as it has better detection than MSE and a much smaller footprint :)

I've just done a clean install of XP Home and decided not to clutter it up with programmes and files as before and remember seeing one of your posts that you use panda cloud
    I've had it running a few days and you wouldn't know it was there Is it likely to gobble up a lot of bandwidth I'm only on 5GB a month ?

I used to use Zone Alarm and MSE but have not installed them this time just have windows firewall turned on.

will I be secure enough with just them 2 running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should not eat too much bandwidth, plus PAV & Windows firewall should be OK :)